Studying engineering in Germany

In summary: It generally takes three years to complete a bachelor's degree in engineering in Germany, but you can also do a two-year master's degree.
y=x^2
I am pondering an idea of studying engineering in Germany. Considering the German industry it seems that engineering science has strong foundations there, so it seems reasonable to assume the quality of studies is high.

What unis are the best? Which are the most reasonable?
How hard is studying in Germany?
How high is the cost of living?
Is it legal to have a job while one is enrolled in higher education?
Courses in evening lectures?

What's the standpoint on foreigners with German education from an employers point of view?

What about the language barrier? I'm thinking about studying the language and maths on my own this year and apply for 2012/2013.

If it matters, I'm finishing a bachelor in economics this summer. Also I'm a EU citizen (Lithuanian), 22 years of old lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
y=x^2 said:
I am pondering an idea of studying engineering in Germany. Considering the German industry it seems that engineering science has strong foundations there, so it seems reasonable to assume the quality of studies is high.
It works rather differently in Germany than in the US. At least before the Bachelor/Master system, you were basically left on your own, and to a large degree it was up to you how much and what you do.

What unis are the best? Which are the most reasonable?
The level of the different universities in Germany is generally very similar. Note, however, that not all universities offer engineering programs. You might want to go to one of those ones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TU9

How hard is studying in Germany?
As hard as you make it. It's up to you. As with general university education: As long as you keep track of the lectures and do all your homework (yourself!) you'll be fine.

How high is the cost of living?
Depends on the region; generally it is lower than in most other countries. Eastern Germany is one of the cheapest places to live in the whole western world, and it's even cheaper for students (say, if you'd study at the TU Dresden, you could probably get a 30m^2 flat near the campus for 250 EUR per month, with very cheap and very good food at the mensa etc.)

Is it legal to have a job while one is enrolled in higher education?
For Germans: Yes.
For non-EU foreign students: May depend on your visa. I don't know. However, as far as I know from my coworkers, the German visa process is very simple compared to many other countries.

Courses in evening lectures?
Sometimes. But generally, engineering programs are full time. Even regular lectures might be spread all over the week, from the early morning to the late afternoon. Depends on the local customs.

What's the standpoint on foreigners with German education from an employers point of view?
As far as I know, German engineering programs are highly regarded outside of Germany. Mainly due to selection bias: Usually, only good students work abroad.

What about the language barrier? I'm thinking about studying the language and maths on my own this year and apply for 2012/2013.
You will need to understand German in order to study in Germany at undergrad level. A decend command of the German language is also very helpful in everyday life, but for undergrad it is mandatory as most courses will be held in German.

If it matters, I'm finishing a bachelor in economics this summer. Also I'm a EU citizen (Lithuanian), 22 years of old lol.
Great :). If you are an EU citizen, I think there will be no serious restrictions, apart from possibly the Langauge barrier.

How long do the studies last in Germany? For bachelor and then for masters?

I can say that studying engineering in Germany is a great idea. Germany has a strong reputation for its engineering industry and the quality of engineering studies is indeed high. In terms of universities, the best ones for engineering are Technische Universität München, RWTH Aachen University, and Technical University of Berlin. These universities have a strong focus on engineering and offer excellent programs with practical experience. As for reasonable universities, it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. I recommend researching and comparing different universities to find the best fit for you.

Studying in Germany can be challenging, but also very rewarding. The education system is rigorous and requires dedication, but the support and resources provided by universities make it manageable. As for the cost of living, it can vary depending on the city and your lifestyle. Generally, it is more affordable compared to other European countries, but it is always a good idea to budget and plan accordingly.

As an EU citizen, you are legally allowed to work while enrolled in higher education in Germany. However, keep in mind that your studies should always be your main priority and that working too many hours can affect your academic performance. It is important to find a balance between work and studies.

Some universities do offer courses in the evening, but it may not be available for all subjects. It is best to check with the specific university and program you are interested in to see if they offer evening lectures.

From an employer's standpoint, having a German education can be highly beneficial. Germany is known for its strong engineering industry and having a degree from a reputable German university can make you a desirable candidate for many companies.

Regarding the language barrier, it is important to have a good understanding of German if you plan on studying in Germany. While some universities may offer courses in English, it is still beneficial to have a basic knowledge of the language for daily life and interactions with locals. It is great that you are considering studying the language and maths on your own before applying, as it will give you a head start and make the transition to studying in Germany smoother.

Overall, studying engineering in Germany is a great choice and can open up many opportunities for your future career. With dedication and hard work, you can have a successful and fulfilling experience studying in this country. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are the requirements for studying engineering in Germany?

In order to study engineering in Germany, you will need to have a high school diploma or equivalent, as well as a good grasp of the German language. Additionally, you will need to pass the university entrance exam known as the "Feststellungsprüfung" or "FSP". Some universities may also require specific subject prerequisites, so it is important to check with the individual institution.

2. How long does it take to complete an engineering degree in Germany?

The duration of an engineering degree in Germany can vary, but typically it takes 3-4 years for a Bachelor's degree and an additional 2-3 years for a Master's degree. However, this can also depend on the specific program and university you choose.

3. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for international students studying engineering in Germany?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid opportunities available for international students studying engineering in Germany. These include scholarships from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), as well as from individual universities and organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early as they can be highly competitive.

4. Do I need to know German to study engineering in Germany?

Yes, a good understanding of the German language is necessary for studying engineering in Germany. While some universities offer programs in English, most undergraduate programs are taught in German. You will also need to demonstrate your language proficiency by passing a language exam such as the TestDaF or DSH.

5. What are the job opportunities for international students after completing an engineering degree in Germany?

Germany has a strong engineering industry and there are many job opportunities available for international students after completing their degree. With a highly recognized degree from a German university, you will have a competitive edge in the job market both in Germany and internationally. Additionally, international students are allowed to stay and work in Germany for up to 18 months after graduation to search for job opportunities.