• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Studying Feynman Lectures

• Thread starter StukaJU88c
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am getting ready to go back to school for physics this coming fall, but in the mean time I am doing a lot of study on physics materials simply because I find it absolutely fascinating and do not want to wait however many months (Not to mention how long it will take me to get past classical physics)

I've been reading and taking notes over the Feynman Lectures, keeping in mind that they are outdated, and was wondering whether this was advisable material to study. I am only on Chapter 3 and have already noticed things missing...like the complete lack of information on the strong force.

Really what I am asking is if there is a more up to date all-inclusive information source that builds up from the groundwork as Feynman has.

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Welcome to PF!

Hi StukaJU88c! Welcome to PF! :smile:
I am getting ready to go back to school for physics this coming fall, … I am only on Chapter 3 and have already noticed things missing...like the complete lack of information on the strong force.

Really what I am asking is if there is a more up to date all-inclusive information source that builds up from the groundwork as Feynman has.
I say, stick with Feynman!

It's a classic, it's clear, and it's correct …

and at least you know it's not up-to-date …

that'll keep you attentive during the lectures! :wink:

Agreed, stick with it. The Lectures are not outdated on the basics.

Sorry to add another question to your thread, but...

I have the 3 books. I'm currently taking E&M. I read in the forward that Feynman wasn't exactly pleased with his E&M lectures, but I am very displeased with my E&M textbook. How are his E&M lectures?

Sorry to add another question to your thread, but...

I have the 3 books. I'm currently taking E&M. I read in the forward that Feynman wasn't exactly pleased with his E&M lectures, but I am very displeased with my E&M textbook. How are his E&M lectures?
Very good. I think Feynman was just very self-critical.

I am only on Chapter 3 and have already noticed things missing...like the complete lack of information on the strong force.
You will not find any intro physics books that will have a lot more info on the strong force than the fact there is one.If you want more detail on some subject get a book that only treats that subjects.

I will decide to post here instead of make a new thread. Does anyone know if there is any difference between normal Feynman Lectures on Physics, and the Definitive and Extended Edition of this lectures, and whether this is worth the price difference?

atyy
Science Advisor
The only thing to be aware of is that there are a few mistakes in the original Lectures. The corrections are on the website.

http://www.feynmanlectures.info/

The meat of Feynman is not outdated. Just stick with it.

The Definitive edition has the corrections, but I'm not sure it's a big deal. Whichever edition you choose, go with a hardback cover. The paperbacks can't take much use.

I heard they are making a newer edition this year..
with problems and stuff

Read it from an article about Caltech and TEDx..

I owned the red version, the definitive one..
It's a fun read