Is Studying the Feynman Lectures Still Relevant for Modern Physics Education?

In summary: Feynman was speaking about the state of physics in the 60s, and it's a bit different now.In summary, the author is getting ready to go back to school for physics this coming fall, but in the mean time he is doing a lot of study on physics materials simply because he finds it absolutely fascinating. He is only on Chapter 3 and has already noticed things missing, like the complete lack of information on the strong force, which is a problem because this is an important force in physics. He recommends sticking with Feynman because he is a classic and clear, and at least you know it's not up to date.
StukaJU88c
I am getting ready to go back to school for physics this coming fall, but in the mean time I am doing a lot of study on physics materials simply because I find it absolutely fascinating and do not want to wait however many months (Not to mention how long it will take me to get past classical physics)

I've been reading and taking notes over the Feynman Lectures, keeping in mind that they are outdated, and was wondering whether this was advisable material to study. I am only on Chapter 3 and have already noticed things missing...like the complete lack of information on the strong force.

Really what I am asking is if there is a more up to date all-inclusive information source that builds up from the groundwork as Feynman has.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi StukaJU88c! Welcome to PF! :smile:
StukaJU88c said:
I am getting ready to go back to school for physics this coming fall, … I am only on Chapter 3 and have already noticed things missing...like the complete lack of information on the strong force.

Really what I am asking is if there is a more up to date all-inclusive information source that builds up from the groundwork as Feynman has.

I say, stick with Feynman!

It's a classic, it's clear, and it's correct …

and at least you know it's not up-to-date …

that'll keep you attentive during the lectures! :wink:

Agreed, stick with it. The Lectures are not outdated on the basics.

Sorry to add another question to your thread, but...

I have the 3 books. I'm currently taking E&M. I read in the forward that Feynman wasn't exactly pleased with his E&M lectures, but I am very displeased with my E&M textbook. How are his E&M lectures?

Null_ said:
Sorry to add another question to your thread, but...

I have the 3 books. I'm currently taking E&M. I read in the forward that Feynman wasn't exactly pleased with his E&M lectures, but I am very displeased with my E&M textbook. How are his E&M lectures?

Very good. I think Feynman was just very self-critical.

StukaJU88c said:
I am only on Chapter 3 and have already noticed things missing...like the complete lack of information on the strong force.
You will not find any intro physics books that will have a lot more info on the strong force than the fact there is one.If you want more detail on some subject get a book that only treats that subjects.

I will decide to post here instead of make a new thread. Does anyone know if there is any difference between normal Feynman Lectures on Physics, and the Definitive and Extended Edition of this lectures, and whether this is worth the price difference?

The only thing to be aware of is that there are a few mistakes in the original Lectures. The corrections are on the website.

http://www.feynmanlectures.info/

The meat of Feynman is not outdated. Just stick with it.

The Definitive edition has the corrections, but I'm not sure it's a big deal. Whichever edition you choose, go with a hardback cover. The paperbacks can't take much use.

I heard they are making a newer edition this year..
with problems and stuff

Read it from an article about Caltech and TEDx..

I owned the red version, the definitive one..
It's a fun read

1. What are the Feynman Lectures on Physics?

The Feynman Lectures on Physics are a set of three physics textbooks written by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman. The books cover a wide range of topics in physics, from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics, and are widely considered to be one of the best introductions to the subject.

2. Why is studying the Feynman Lectures important for scientists?

Studying the Feynman Lectures is important for scientists because it provides a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of physics. The books are written in a clear and engaging style, making complex concepts easier to understand. Additionally, Feynman's unique approach to teaching encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for scientific research.

3. How can I effectively study the Feynman Lectures?

To effectively study the Feynman Lectures, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic mathematics and physics concepts. It is also helpful to read the books in a structured manner, starting from the beginning and working through each chapter in order. Additionally, practicing the examples and problems provided in the books can help solidify understanding of the material.

4. Are the Feynman Lectures suitable for all levels of study?

The Feynman Lectures are suitable for a wide range of readers, from high school students to advanced researchers. However, some prior knowledge of mathematics and physics is recommended for a better understanding of the material. Additionally, the books may be more challenging for those without a strong background in these subjects.

5. Are there any online resources available for studying the Feynman Lectures?

Yes, there are several online resources available for studying the Feynman Lectures. The official Feynman Lectures website offers a variety of resources, including video lectures, problem sets, and interactive simulations. There are also many online forums and study groups where readers can discuss the material and ask questions. Additionally, many universities offer online courses based on the Feynman Lectures that include lectures, assignments, and exams.