1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying for exams need help very soon

1. Dec 14, 2005 #1
    Studying for exams need help very soon!!!!

On both of these I got the right answer but it was so long ago I have no idea how to do them.
    (Which equation am I to use?)(v=Vo+at? if so how?)
    1.Determine the stopping distances for an automobile with an initial speed of 91 km/h and human reaction time of 3.0 s for the following accelerations.
    (a) a = -4.0 m/s2
    ? m
    (b) a = -8.0 m/s2
    ? m
    (This one is beyond me I keep attempting to use equations but none of them are working)
    2.5. A football is kicked at ground level with a speed of 20.0 m/s at an angle of 38.0° to the horizontal. How much later does it hit the ground?
    ? seconds

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2

kp

a) use a kinematic equation to solve for "d"
    , then use a kinematic equation to solve for "time"
    then add reaction time.

b) resolve the components (sin & cos)
    the y component give you time

4. Dec 14, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The stopping distance consists of two parts, the distance traveled before the deceleration is applied, which is given by x1 = v tr, where r would be the response time, and then the distance traveled during the period of deceleration, which is governed by a different equation.

see - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#mot1
    for linear motion in one dimension.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?