Studying for Graduate School Entrance Exams.

In summary, the conversation is about a graduate student preparing for five ACS exams in chemistry at the University of Southern Mississippi. They are looking for study materials for the exams and are seeking advice on how to best prepare for them. They are hoping to find free resources rather than purchasing study guides.
LtStorm
Wasn't sure what forum would be best for this question, but this seemed good since it was sort of more career related than homework.

This August I'm going into grad school for chemistry at University of Southern Mississippi. When I arrive there, I have to take five ACS exams covering the five major areas of chemistry (physical, organic, inorganic, analytical, and biochemistry). So, I'm looking for study materials for those, ACS exams specifically.

Anyone know where I can find free study material for ACS exams? I know there are study guides for each exam most likely that are for sale, but I'm trying to find something I don't have to order or spend money on. The obvious suggestion is just studying textbook problems, but I'd like to familiarize myself with the ACS exam format, as I've only take one of the ACS tests before, which was the one for organic chem, and that was over a year ago.

So, yeah, anyone familiar with the ACS exams and have any tips for preparing for them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm already planning to brush up on my basics by going through some textbooks, but I'd really appreciate any advice.

I understand the importance of preparing for entrance exams for graduate school. It is crucial to have a solid understanding of the subject matter and the exam format in order to perform well.

One option for finding free study materials for ACS exams is to check with your university's chemistry department. They may have past exams or study guides available for students to use. Additionally, the ACS website offers resources and practice exams for a fee, but they also have some free materials available such as study guides and sample questions.

Other resources for preparing for ACS exams include review books and online study materials. Some of these may be available for free or at a low cost. It is important to make sure that the materials you choose are specifically geared towards the ACS exams, as they may have a different format or focus than other exams.

In terms of tips for preparing for ACS exams, I would recommend starting your studying early and breaking up your studying into smaller, manageable chunks. This will help you retain the information better and prevent you from feeling overwhelmed. Also, make sure to practice with past exams and sample questions to get a feel for the format and types of questions that may be asked.

Finally, don't hesitate to seek help from your professors or fellow students if you have any questions or need clarification on certain topics. Good luck with your exams and your graduate studies!

1. What are the most common graduate school entrance exams?

The most common graduate school entrance exams are the GRE (Graduate Record Examination), GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test), LSAT (Law School Admission Test), and MCAT (Medical College Admission Test).

2. How should I prepare for graduate school entrance exams?

Preparation for graduate school entrance exams should involve a combination of studying content, familiarizing yourself with the format and types of questions on the exam, and practicing with sample questions and exams. It is also important to create a study schedule and start studying well in advance of the exam date.

3. Are there any specific tips for studying for graduate school entrance exams?

Some tips for studying for graduate school entrance exams include focusing on your weaknesses, taking timed practice tests, and seeking help from tutors or study groups if needed. It is also important to prioritize your studying and make sure to get enough rest and exercise during the preparation period.

4. Is it necessary to take a prep course for graduate school entrance exams?

No, it is not necessary to take a prep course for graduate school entrance exams. However, some individuals may find it helpful to have structured guidance and additional resources provided by prep courses. It ultimately depends on your individual study habits and needs.

5. Can I retake a graduate school entrance exam if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, most graduate school entrance exams allow for retakes. However, there may be limitations on the number of times you can retake the exam within a certain time period. It is important to check with the specific exam's policies and plan accordingly.