Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying graphing method.

1. May 10, 2005 #1
    I am preparing to study for my exam, and there is something I am not sure about when evaluating the limit x --> Infinity of 4/x^2 - x
    Intuitively the function seems to go to minus infinity, and I wonder if that is a sufficient answer or am I overlooking a rigorous method that should be applied here. It doesn't seem sufficient because I am looking for a horizontal asymptote and this answer doesn't guide me to a definitive point where one exists although it implies there would be one. Can someone give me a clue as to the method that would get me a clear answer.

Also as this function goes to 0, 4/0 is not defined so that's all I need to establish, right? And this would imply a vertical asymptote is at x = 0 which in turn implies that the function approaches infinity from above and below?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, what you have said is correct. You might prefer to write this as a single
    fraction: (4-x3)/x2 which has a vertical asymptote at x= 0, goes to negative infinity as x goes to infinity, and goes to infinity as x goes to negative infinity.
  4. May 10, 2005 #3
    So I can be certain at this point that there is horizontal asymptote.

I haven't looked at the graph I am trying to make certain that I can be confident in what I know from the equation without looking at the graph, as I would like to be in an exam.

I will be getting to looking at graphs to check my work next, believe it or not there is method to my madness.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?