Learn Group Theory for Physics: Beginner Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to learn group theory for a better understanding of quantum mechanics and particle theory. The person has looked at books on discrete mathematics but did not find information on SU groups. They are a beginner in both group theory and discrete math, but do not want to waste time on unrelated materials. They ask for book recommendations or suggestions for studying group theory. The other person mentions that SU(2) is a continuous Lie group and requires knowledge of topology. The person has taken a Fourier analysis class and has some understanding of Hilbert space.
greatscott
I'd like to learn group theory to understand QM and particle theory, and I looked at several books on discrete mathematics but they didn't mention SU groups. I'm an absolute beginner in group theory or discrete math, but I don't want to spend too much time on materials unrelated to physics. Do you have a suggestion on a good book or a good way to study group theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, part of the problem is that SU(2), etc, is not discrete! It's continuous and has a nontrivial topology: it's an example of a Lie group. (pronounced "lee group")

I have heard of Lie groups. What are the prerequisites for studying Lie groups? I don't know what topology is per se, but I have taken a Fourier analysis class. I only have a superficial knowledge about Hilbert space (not in a rigorous "theorems, proofs and q.e.d's" manner).

1. What is group theory and how is it relevant to physics?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of symmetry and the properties of objects that remain unchanged under certain transformations. In physics, group theory has many applications, such as in the study of particle symmetries and the behavior of physical systems under different symmetries.

2. Who can benefit from learning group theory for physics?

Group theory is an important tool for physicists, as it allows for a better understanding of symmetries and the underlying principles governing physical systems. It can be beneficial for students and researchers in fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics.

3. Is prior knowledge of mathematics necessary to learn group theory for physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is required to fully understand and apply group theory in physics. Knowledge of algebra, calculus, and linear algebra is particularly important, as these concepts are heavily used in group theory.

4. How can I apply group theory in my research or experiments in physics?

Group theory can be applied in a variety of ways in physics, such as in the analysis of symmetries in quantum mechanical systems, the classification of particles based on their symmetries, and the study of phase transitions in condensed matter systems. It can also be useful in theoretical physics, for example in the development of models and theories.

5. Are there any online resources for learning group theory for physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning group theory for physics. These include textbooks, lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive tutorials. Some universities also offer online courses on group theory for physics. It is important to choose a resource that suits your level of understanding and learning style.