1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Studying In California

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    Hi I'm currently a undergraduate student in Australia. I was wondering what was the best way to get into a honours program in a university like Caltech?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Be one of the top students in the country?

4. Nov 5, 2005 #3
    for caltech
    Transfer Students

* Total number of transfer students who applied: 188
    * Total number of transfer students who were admitted: 15

Less than 10% admitted....

For undergrad, what about Harvey Mudd?
    Transfer Students

* Total number of transfer students who applied: 68
    * Total number of transfer students who were admitted: 10

5. Nov 6, 2005 #4
    Can you guys give me a benchmark to compare with? I need to know if these ambitions of mine are mere pipe dreams...

6. Nov 6, 2005 #5
    If you want to get into caltech, you should be able to use google :tongue2:

You're probably busy, and I'm not.....

Ok, here is a normal state university (Arizona State Univeristy).

Transfer Students

* Total number of transfer students who applied: 7,413
    * Total number of transfer students who were admitted: 6,491

Do you only want to transfer to Caltech? If so why?
    -or-
    Do you only want to transfer to a school in California? If so why?

If not, than you have a lot more choices, some good colleges accept a lot of transfer students.

7. Nov 6, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If you are even considering the idea that they are pipe dreams, then they probably are. If you aren't straight A, top of the class, local hero, etc etc, you will probably have a big fight on your hands.

8. Nov 7, 2005 #7
    I want to study physics and maths at caltech, academically i'm doing fine, i'm just worried about tuition fees and accomodation fees, i want a scholarship. How do i go about entering? I heard you gotta sit a entrance exam on american history and english etc...true?

9. Nov 7, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well domestic applications is simply an application and nothing else really. I'm really not sure what foreign applicants need however. It will say on their website.

Mind you, "fine" is not going to cut it. We're talking about one of the top universities on this planet. I mean an 8% admission rate... and most people won't even apply knowing they can't get in.

10. Nov 7, 2005 #9
    I would like to know, why do you have your mind set on going to Caltech and no other colleges?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?