Study EE in Malaysia - Under $12K/yr, Aug 2008

• Studying
  • Thread starter ahmadmz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a place to study electrical engineering that is affordable, and other participants suggest various options such as Malaysia, Singapore, and European countries like Germany. Some mention the importance of considering factors beyond tuition fees, such as living expenses and language requirements. It is also mentioned that some European countries offer government-funded education, but it may require learning the local language. One participant shares their personal experience with free education in Germany, but others mention changes in tuition fees in recent years. The conversation ends with a question about the possibility of free education in Germany and the requirement to pass a German test for acceptance.
ahmadmz
Hi, i plan to start university from the august semester in 2008. I am looking for a good place to study EE which is not expensive. Under $10-12K max a year maybe, including rent for dorm. One of my friends suggested Malaysia. I need to know if there is any other place where i can do bachelors in EE. I am in USA currently but I don't have student visa and would have to leave. Is the education good in M'sia?

Physics news on Phys.org
why not go to singapore? where i stay, NUS is prob in the top 30 fot technology related majors.

I'd agree with Oerg.

Whatever you do, don't think of going to Thailand. Their universities are not as good as they'd like to claim. Basically, this is really down to inexperience & attitude towards learning - as well as an intrinsic anti-foreign sentiment (racism). Most of their so-called international programs are conducted in Thai, but charged at international rates (go figure).

You would be well served to check out the publication level of the lecturers & university you may have in your sights. If the lecturers do not have a high publication record - give them a wide berth.

Universities in Asia may not be as inexpensive as you may think, once you are charged at the international rate - which can sometimes be higher than you would end up paying in the US. Foreigners are good money-spinners & look good on the university books.

Buyer beware!

Last edited:
I like NTU in singapore , and i think i will apply there too. But NUS has a little higher requirements. My grades were decent and i did not take SAT or ACT. Also the fees is more than NTU for NUS. Also if i get accepted i plan on taking the grant , in return for working there for 3 years since i can not pay the tuition otherwise :P The grant does not reduce NUS fees as much as NTU.

ahmadmz said:
I like NTU in singapore , and i think i will apply there too. But NUS has a little higher requirements. My grades were decent and i did not take SAT or ACT. Also the fees is more than NTU for NUS. Also if i get accepted i plan on taking the grant , in return for working there for 3 years since i can not pay the tuition otherwise :P The grant does not reduce NUS fees as much as NTU.

Locals do not need SAT to enter NUS/NTU anymore, I am not so sure about international students. You should submit both applications.

ahmadmz said:
Hi, i plan to start university from the august semester in 2008. I am looking for a good place to study EE which is not expensive. Under $10-12K max a year maybe, including rent for dorm. One of my friends suggested Malaysia. I need to know if there is any other place where i can do bachelors in EE. I am in USA currently but I don't have student visa and would have to leave. Is the education good in M'sia?

Hi there, i think u shud better study in the US. I'm sure, u'd get a much better education there (no offence to education in asia) cuz, the fees in asian univs might be lesser than in the US but the other incidental expenses might add up and make it only a little different from the US. don't look at the uni rankings as long as it's a decent enuf one, because u could end up dissatisfied and disoriented even if the uni is one of the top.
besides, u wouldn't have to take time to orient yourself to the new environment unless u're an asian. the thought of pursuing studies abroad might be exciting but please be aware of the other things that you would have to give up, which you could but that might not be worth it.
instead u can try the european countries some of which provided government funded education. i don't have the exact details of them but you could perhaps have them as one of your serious options. goodluck!

Hi, well I would be studying here right now , but like I said i don't have a student visa and can not stay here for long. I have no information about European countries providing government funded education for international students. I will try to look this up. And in Europe, I would need an english speaking place :)

Germany. If you learn to speak German - free 6-month course - you pay no academic fees.

ahmadmz said:
Hi, well I would be studying here right now , but like I said i don't have a student visa and can not stay here for long. I have no information about European countries providing government funded education for international students. I will try to look this up. And in Europe, I would need an english speaking place :)

yes.. you should think this through. btw, may i know which is ur home country?
and why can't u apply for a student pass in the US?

momentum_waves said:
Germany. If you learn to speak German - free 6-month course - you pay no academic fees.
Free? Are you sure? Where did learn of this?

^ Well, it was that way around 5 years back. This is what I was informed during a number of research visits I made to Dortmund University, for instance. I never made use of the kindness.

It could well have changed in the meantime. You would probably have to have some sort of prior arrangement to visit in the first place.

momentum_waves said:
^ Well, it was that way around 5 years back. This is what I was informed during a number of research visits I made to Dortmund University, for instance. I never made use of the kindness.

Tuition has been introduced slowly during the past two years or so. It's now up to a few hundred euros per semester at certain places. My university is still free, luckily.

Problem is, you need to pass a German test to get accepted and an average high school diploma won't be automatically recognized by the admissions office.

Ok, after some research the university i liked most is Nanyang Tech Uni (Singapore). I just got a email from the admissions office, and according to them I cannot apply to EE because I did not take Physics in grade 10. I find this ridiculous. Has anyone heard this type of thing before?
The first year, you have to take Physics 1 anyways. I really liked this uni and just because I did not take Physics in grade 10 years back, I'm not eligible ? =/

ahmadmz,
the education level in local Malaysian Universities has been dropping lately, just check the new THES rankings.
However if you are still interested in studying in Malaysia, there are many private universities available with good twinning programs to australia, UK, and even back to the US.

from wikipedia "Twinning" is a concept in education in Malaysia, where private colleges offer programmes whereby the student does part of his degree course locally and part of it in an overseas institution tied to the college."

some International Universities with Malaysian campus's
Nottingham Univeristy (UK)
Monash University (Australian)

Universities/Colleges that offer twinning programs you might like to check out
INTI College
Sunway University college
Taylors College
HELP univeristy college
(I don't know which universities they are connected with but just google them yourself)

The reason I've suggested these universities are because they offer internationally recognised degrees as they are connected with international universities,the local universities on the other hand might or might not

If you are a muslim, Halal food is easy to come by in Malaysia due to its large muslim population.

Most Malaysians and Singaporeans can speak fluent English so it might be easier to adapt there than in other asian countries

I encourage you to apply to as many Universities as possible as the competition for international places in Singapore (NTU/NUS)is very tough and very academically focused (competition was at its height last year due to a birth surge of dragon year applicants or something)

good luck applying :)

Thanks andy. Yea I am looking at Monash and Swinburne University in Malaysia. Both are Australian and offer internationally recognized degrees. The only thing is, they do not have a school for Physics and Math. I was considering doing a minor in either if possible.

1. What is the cost of studying Electrical Engineering in Malaysia?

The average cost of studying Electrical Engineering in Malaysia for the academic year of 2008 is under $12,000 per year. This includes tuition fees, accommodation, and living expenses.

2. Is the cost of studying Electrical Engineering in Malaysia affordable?

Yes, the cost of studying Electrical Engineering in Malaysia is considered affordable compared to other countries. Malaysia offers quality education at a lower cost, making it a popular destination for international students.

3. What is the duration of the Electrical Engineering program in Malaysia?

The duration of the Electrical Engineering program in Malaysia is typically 4 years for a Bachelor's degree. However, some universities may offer a 3-year program for students with a relevant diploma or foundation in engineering.

4. Can international students study Electrical Engineering in Malaysia?

Yes, international students are welcome to study Electrical Engineering in Malaysia. Most universities in Malaysia have a diverse student population and offer support services for international students.

5. What are the requirements to study Electrical Engineering in Malaysia?

The requirements may vary depending on the university, but some common requirements include a high school diploma or equivalent, proof of English proficiency, and a strong background in Mathematics and Physics. Some universities may also require standardized test scores such as SAT or ACT.