Studying Physics at Undergrad: Choosing Between MIT, Harvard, Yale & Princeton

In summary, the person is considering four colleges and has not come to a decision. They are considering MIT, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. MIT is not what the person wants, but it is strong in liberal arts. Yale has good people and an amazing first year directed studies (humanities sequence). Princeton is amazing for math and physics, but Harvard has been trying to form a tighter-knit community and is equal in math and science.
Simetrophy
So essentially, I have not come to a decision in spite that today, May 1st, I must inform the colleges that accepted me where I am going to study for the next four years.

My choices are: MIT, Harvard, Yale and Princeton.

I am at my wit's end; here is the gist of it:

a) I want to study the liberal arts, so MIT is essentially not what I want

b) I wish to go to grad school for theoretical physics, so I would like a tight-knit and supportive (not outwardly competitive environment)

c) Yale had some of the best people, and an amazing first year directed studies (humanities sequence) that I heavily like. Looking at the website, however, it does not look as if their physics courses delve as deep or are of as high quality as at Harvard or Princeton.

d) I just want to make a decision, and I need advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
NOTE: All this advice is based on what I believe, not on absolute truth. Take it as such.

MIT surprisingly has fantastic undergraduate liberal arts. (Arguably better than Harvard, Yale, Princeton in many ways). This is because all the professors are payed for their teaching ability. MIT's liberal arts are like the liberal arts at liberal arts colleges, unlike Harvard, Yale, Princeton, where there are a bunch of professors doing research who don't care about undergrads at all (meaning sucky undergraduate liberal arts courses). However, MIT has a super-ultra competitive environment. People get burnt out.

This "competitive environment" at MIT I think has more to do with the student body than with the university itself. Everyone is supposedly extremely motivated, passionate, and always doing interesting work and going above and beyond. In a sense, it does have a "community" - students working with each other, etc. In terms of finding other students who share your passion about physics, you'd probably do much better at MIT than Harvard, Yale, or Princeton, merely because almost everyone is studying science/math! You'd just probably eventually feel pretty bad about yourself when you fall a bit behind.

If you want tight-knit and supportive with strong liberal arts, Yale is looking pretty good. When I think of Yale, I imagine it to be the most relaxed of the four. However, Yale is the weakest of the four in physics. It's really not science oriented, but it's still strong enough that you wouldn't be held back! If you'd like to be the "minority" (which confers certain advantages: standing out from everyone else, not so much competition, more attention from science professors), then Yale is probably your best bet. The only thing is you'd need to be more self-motivated to make yourself competitive for graduate school. It would be very easy to accidentally not really be competitive for graduate school if you didn't push yourself.

Harvard will have heavy competition in math (which I assume carries over to physics too), but not nearly as bad as MIT. Princeton is amazing for math and physics (I assume with probably about the same competition in science as Harvard). I wouldn't even dare try to draw a line between Harvard and Princeton on which has more opportunities for math or physics, though. They are essentially equal in math/science.

However, I think Harvard had been trying to form a more "tight-knit" community. They've been trying to alleviate the pressure, and make students more chilled out about academics. I don't know about Princeton's efforts in that regard...

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose... but you should have started thinking about this earlier!

Last edited:
I have been thinking about it for a long time - I essentially arrived at the same conclusion. The problem is deciding among these excellent schools.

If you are really having a hard time making this decision, you can submit deposits to all four.

Just don't regret it.

First of all, congratulations on being accepted to such prestigious universities! You have a tough decision ahead of you, but it's important to remember that no matter which university you choose, you will have access to top-notch resources and opportunities in the field of physics.

I understand your concerns about wanting to study the liberal arts and not feeling that MIT is the right fit for you. However, keep in mind that many universities, including Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, offer a well-rounded education that includes both liberal arts and sciences. So you can still have the best of both worlds at these universities.

In terms of your interest in theoretical physics and wanting a tight-knit and supportive environment, I would recommend researching the specific physics departments at each university. Look for faculty members who specialize in theoretical physics and see if their research aligns with your interests. Also, reach out to current students or alumni to get a sense of the department's culture and support system.

As for Yale's physics program not appearing as deep or high quality as Harvard or Princeton, I would suggest digging deeper into the course offerings and research opportunities at all three universities. Don't solely rely on the website, but rather reach out to professors and students to get a more comprehensive understanding of the programs.

Ultimately, my advice would be to choose the university that feels like the best fit for you academically, socially, and personally. Consider visiting each campus if possible, and try to envision yourself thriving in that environment for the next four years. Trust your gut and remember that no matter where you go, your passion and drive for physics will ultimately determine your success. Best of luck with your decision!

1. What are the differences between studying physics at MIT, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton?

Each university has its own unique approach to teaching physics and research opportunities. MIT has a strong emphasis on hands-on, experimental learning and a focus on engineering. Harvard has a more theoretical approach and also offers a joint program with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) called Harvard-MIT Program in Health Sciences and Technology. Yale offers a smaller and more intimate learning environment, with a focus on interdisciplinary studies. Princeton has a strong emphasis on research and offers a wide range of research opportunities for undergraduate students.

2. How do I choose between these top universities for studying physics?

It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals. Consider factors such as the curriculum, research opportunities, faculty, campus culture, and location. It may also be helpful to talk to current students or alumni from each university to gain insight into their experiences.

3. Are there any specific requirements for studying physics at these universities?

Each university may have different admission requirements, but generally, you will need a strong background in mathematics, science, and a demonstrated interest in physics. Some universities may also require SAT subject tests in math and physics.

4. Can I switch between physics programs at these universities?

It may be possible to switch between physics programs within the same university, but it is not guaranteed. It is important to carefully research and consider your options before committing to a specific program.

5. What career opportunities are available for physics graduates from these universities?

Studying physics at these top universities can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, finance, technology, and education. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in physics or related fields.