Where to Begin with Quantum Physics: Self-Study and Recommended Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses studying Quantum physics and whether it is possible to understand some basics through self-studying before college. The speaker also asks for book recommendations that explain QM without the use of mathematics. However, it is stated that without the use of mathematics, it is impossible to accurately understand QM.
iyasq8
Can anyone tell me which subject should I start with for studying Quantum physics?
and can I really understand some basics by self studying before college?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
iyasq8 said:
Can anyone tell me which subject should I start with for studying Quantum physics?
and can I really understand some basics by self studying before college?
Yes, though it takes time to build things up, and much depends on the background you already have!

See the entry ''Learning quantum mechanics at age 14'' (and other entries) in Chapter C4 of my theoretical physics FAQ at http://arnold-neumaier.at/physfaq/physics-faq.html#age14

Thanks a lot it really helped

Perhaps someone could suggest a book that isn't mathematically based but explains QM accurately. i.e. the meaning of all the mathematics, its application, how it is used. Something really informative but minus the maths.

I am required to do a Mathematics for Business course to complete a Bachelor of Information Sciences. Even though the course is next semester, I have the textbook and its scarying me to death when I look at it. I simply don't like mathematics. In my final year of High School (2005) I chose a maths course that dealt with statistics only.

StevieTNZ said:
Perhaps someone could suggest a book that isn't mathematically based but explains QM accurately. i.e. the meaning of all the mathematics, its application, how it is used. Something really informative but minus the maths.
It is impossible to explain QM ''accurately'' ''but minus the maths''. Without the math you only get the usual fairy tales for the physically uneducated.

Only the math makes a theory accurate.

What is Quantum Physics?

Quantum Physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as atoms and photons, at a microscopic level.

Why is Quantum Physics important?

Quantum Physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a quantum level. It also has practical applications in fields such as computing, cryptography, and energy production.

What are the key concepts in Quantum Physics?

Some key concepts in Quantum Physics include superposition, entanglement, wave-particle duality, and uncertainty principle. These concepts challenge our traditional understanding of physics and have led to the development of new theories and technologies.

What skills are needed to study Quantum Physics?

Studying Quantum Physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Additionally, critical thinking skills and a willingness to challenge traditional ways of thinking are essential for understanding this complex subject.

What are the real-life applications of Quantum Physics?

Quantum Physics has numerous applications in real-life, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. It is also used in various industries such as healthcare, energy, and telecommunications. Additionally, many technological advancements, such as transistors and lasers, are based on principles of Quantum Physics.