Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying up on an aspect of perturbation theory

1. Feb 11, 2005 #1
    I was studying up on an aspect of perturbation theory, and I must have strained something (there's something about Hilbert spaces that I just can't get my head around...sorry, bad joke), because I have a really bad headache now.

I was wondering what a headache is, and how we get them. I know we can't feel our brains, so I was wondering why it is that the pain feels like it's inside my head.

Any input or link would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 11, 2005 #3
  5. Feb 11, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A few ways I can think of off the top of my head (groan...no pun intended). It could be eyestrain from reading too long, muscle tension from getting mildly stressed that you can't wrap your head around that difficult problem, or something like neck or back strain from just sitting with your head bent over the desk too long. Or all three! :eek:

Hope your head feels better. :frown:

6. Feb 11, 2005 #5

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

mentat, i suffered for years with headaches, to a point where i would avoid reading. i just got a pair of reading glasses, and it is so much more fun to read and i have no more headaches! if you are studious and do a lot of reading, i would think about having your eyes checked.

7. Feb 12, 2005 #6
    Actually, I already wear glasses, but I'm way over-due for a new prescription.

8. Feb 12, 2005 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

that might be part of the problem mentat...good luck in getting them checked.

9. Feb 12, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, needing glasses or wearing the wrong prescription can cause headaches. When children get a lot of headaches, usually the first thing they check is their eyesight.

10. Feb 12, 2005 #9
    i get a lot of headahe when i sleep too much...the pain is killing ...when it starts i go mad..i wake my mom and she presses it and then i feel some rest...i think death better than the pain which i feel..pls tell me ...what is this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?