Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuff about e

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    Okay, so I am in grade 12 calc and I was learning about e today, how the slope of the tangent at any point is also the y value at that point. What I was wondering is if there is a function that has the x value equal to the slope at any given point. I think it would look something like a parabola.

I tried to plug x in for slope to y=mx+b which results with y+x^2, but that does not have the property I am looking for. I also tried y=x^e, it doesn't work out.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi e.mathstudent! welcome to pf! :smile:
    you mean dy/dx = x ?

hint: what is the derivative (the slope) of a polynomial? :wink:

4. Apr 15, 2013 #3
    more stuff about e

does f(x)=(x^2)/2 work?
    it has a derivative of x, so I am going to try that.

5. Apr 15, 2013 #4
    Oh cool, it works. That was a way simpler answer than I expected.

6. Apr 15, 2013 #5
    Are there any other cool properties about e or fun things to know?

7. Apr 15, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Apr 15, 2013 #7
    Yes. There's a whooole book about it. I happen to be reading it right now: https://www.amazon.com/Story-Number-Princeton-Science-Library/dp/0691141347

I like e, perhaps moreso than even pi! It's quite easy to calculate the value of e on one's own, as it is the limit as n goes to infinity of (1+1/n)^n

You can plug in large values of n and calculate to whatever degree you'd like.

You can approximate it with a taylor series.

You can use the binomial theorem.

Have a few more things that I"ll share later, but my wife is home. lol

9. Apr 15, 2013 #8

Bacle2

Science Advisor

One way of looking at e ( as e^1 ) is this:

Assume you have an account of D dollars at a yearly interest rate of 100% , i.e., your account

doubles every year.

Now, say you can also compound the interest , e.g., instead of getting 100% yearly, you can

get 50% after 6 months, and then compound again by 50% six months after that . Then your

have (1.5)*(1.5)*D =2.25*D dollars, instead of 2*D dollars, by compounding twice. Now, you can

compound your money, not just twice yearly, but 3-, 4- or more times. If you compounded

infinitely-often (in the limit), your money will be multiplied, in the limit, by a factor of e, meaning

you will have e*D dollars at the end of a year by doing this continuous compounding.

In general, if your interest rate is x (as a fraction ) and you compound your account

continuously, your D dollars will be worth e^x dollars at the end of the year.

10. Apr 15, 2013 #9
    The great e vs. pi debate (you will learn a bit, and actually quite funny).

In five parts:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Apr 15, 2013 #10
    The closest rational approximation of e using integers below 1000 is 878/323. (Source: Eli Maor's book mentioned above).

12. Apr 16, 2013 #11
    Oh, e. Such an awesome constant. Leonhard Euler is one interesting man.

13. Apr 16, 2013 #12
    Those videos are epic. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook