What is This Unearthly Creature? Is it a Starfish?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a strange, unearthly creature that is actually a basket star, a relative of starfish. The group also mentions other unusual animals, such as Opabinia, Hallucagenia, and an amphipod parasite. They also mention discussions about the correct orientation of Hallucagenia and the book "Wonderful Life" written by Gould before the orientation was determined.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Biology news on Phys.org
Seems to be a basket star (not a basketball star!).
DaveC426913 said:
But I think it's actually a starfish.
Yes, relative of starfish.
I was surprised at how big it is.
It seems to be a filter feeder, using its basket-like arms to catch little things out of currents.

There are lots of weird and fun critters.
Opabinia (an early fossil arthropod):
opabinia-750x400.jpg

Hallucagenia (an early fossil velvet worm):
Hallucigenia.jpg

Amphipod (related to pillbugs) parasite that eats a fish's tongue and replaces it. It then eats some of the food the fish eats:
isopod parasite.png

Attachments

• opabinia-750x400.jpg
    opabinia-750x400.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 560
  • Hallucigenia.jpg
    Hallucigenia.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 422
  • isopod parasite.png
    isopod parasite.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 432
Likes jim mcnamara
: | My sister M Collins did the original 3D interpretational drawings from scientists' descriptions, from which most other diagrams on the internet were shamelessly copied.

0c2opabiniabw5164683906713617067.jpg

jbhallucigenia-mc.jpg

Attachments

• 0c2opabiniabw5164683906713617067.jpg
    0c2opabiniabw5164683906713617067.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 461
  • jbhallucigenia-mc.jpg
    jbhallucigenia-mc.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 464
Likes BCHC, DrClaude and BillTre
Very cool @DaveC426913 !
Its interesting that they had the original versions of Hallucagenia upside down (walking on what are now considered defensive spines).
I'm sure it was the scientist's fault and not your sister's.
Gould's book (Wonderful Life) was written before this was figured out, so he probably discusses it in a lot of detail.

BillTre said:
Very cool @DaveC426913 !
Its interesting that they had the original versions of Hallucagenia upside down (walking on what are now considered defensive spines).
I'm sure it was the scientist's fault and not your sister's.
I remember discussing that very thing over the dinner table. The scientists couldn't make up their minds. They wondered if maybe the wavey bits were eating/breathing tubules, but that would necessitate walking on the spikey bits, like an urchin.
Good times, good times.

BillTre said:
Gould's book (Wonderful Life) was written before this was figured out, so he probably discusses it in a lot of detail.
She illustrated that too. :biggrin:

Likes BillTre

1. What is this unearthly creature?

The unearthly creature in question is likely a starfish, a marine invertebrate that belongs to the class Asteroidea. Starfish are known for their characteristic five-pointed shape and are found in oceans all over the world.

2. Is it a starfish?

Without a clear description or image of the creature, it is difficult to say for sure. However, if the creature has a five-pointed shape and is found in the ocean, it is likely a starfish.

3. How can I identify a starfish?

Starfish have a unique appearance, with five or more arms radiating from a central disk. They also have tube feet on the underside of their arms that are used for movement and feeding. Some species may also have vibrant colors or patterns.

4. Is it dangerous?

Most starfish are not dangerous to humans. However, some species do have venomous spines or can release toxins when threatened. It is always best to avoid touching or handling any wild animal, including starfish.

5. Where can I find starfish?

Starfish are found in all of the Earth's oceans, from the shallow intertidal zone to the deep sea. They are also commonly found in tide pools, on rocky shores, and on coral reefs. Some species may also be found in estuaries or even freshwater habitats.