1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stumbled upon a math problem

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I have stumbled upon this maths problem, i have pondered it for a few days without any real work until today. The problem is, i can't seem to comprehend these questions at all... so any help would very much appreciated :biggrin:

Here is the math problem:

The curve C has equation y=k*x^3-x^2+x-5, where k is constant.

A) Find the derivative of the expression with respect to x

I got 3*k*x^2-2 x+1=y

The point A with x-coordinate -1/2 lies on c. The tangent c at a is parallel to the line with equation 2*y-7*x+1=0

Find:

B) the value of k

C) the value of the y-coordinate of A.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The derivative is correct, but you have mislabelled it as "y". You should have y' = 3kx^2 - 2x + 1 or dy/dx = 3kx^2 - 2x + 1.
    Point A lies on C. The tangent to C at A is parallel to a certain line.

The derivative you found can be used to find the slope of the tangent line to C at any point. What's the slope of the tangent line (on C) at the point A? What's the slope of the line whose equation is given?

4. May 22, 2010 #3
    So, as far as i understand it, the slope of the line that is tangent to C at point A (-1/2). The second equation given is parallel to the first derivative of C when x=-1/2
    My first thought was to do this:
    [tex] 3 k x^2-2 x+1=2 y+\frac{9}{2} [/tex]
    which is the same as

[tex] y'\left(-\frac{1}{2}\right) =2 y+\frac{9}{2}[/tex]
    which is equal to the line that is tangent to C. From this you can solve for k, which i got k=2. But i am struggling on how to find y, how could you use the other equation to find y, when the line is the same but rather only parallel. How could i find y in this case?
    So wouldn't the equation look like this with the different y's:
    [tex] \left(y_1\right)'\left(-\frac{1}{2}\right)\to \frac{3 k}{4}+2=2 y_2+\frac{9}{2} [/tex]
    or can we find y by going back to the original equation like this:
    [tex] y=2 \left(-\frac{1}{2}\right)^3-\left(-\frac{1}{2}\right)^2+\left(-\frac{1}{2}\right)-5=-6 [/tex]
    This is why it is confusing me lol i'll get there eventually ;)

Last edited: May 22, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook