Stumped by simple relativity question

• Thread starter edd0107
  • Start date
I know that the proper length from a person on earth to a certain constellation is 9 light years and that the time spent traveling in a space ship during a one-way trip to the constellation is 12 years. I have been asked to find the velocity and I have been told that I will not need to use a calculator. This has me a little stumped.

My thought is that v=d/t so v=9/12 and the velocity is .75c (c is of course the speed of light). That makes sense if I don't need a calculator. This is the only solution I can come up with.

Any comments, suggestions, or confirmation would be helpful?

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
Sounds good to me (assuming that the trip time of 12 years is according to Earth observers).

JesseM
Science Advisor
I know that the proper length from a person on earth to a certain constellation is 9 light years and that the time spent traveling in a space ship during a one-way trip to the constellation is 12 years. I have been asked to find the velocity and I have been told that I will not need to use a calculator. This has me a little stumped.
Can you use a pencil and paper, or are you supposed to find a way to solve it that doesn't even require you to solve any equations? If the ship travels at speed v, naturally the time taken in the Earth's frame will be 9/v. But because of time dilation, the time for the ship will be smaller than this be sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2), and if we're using units of light years and years c = 1 so the time according to the ship's clock will by a factor of (9/v)*sqrt(1 - v^2), and that gives us (9/v)*sqrt(1 - v^2) = 12. With a little algebra you can solve this for v without needing to use a calculator (although you have to remember your squares table). I get an answer which is different from 0.75c.

JesseM
Science Advisor
Sounds good to me (assuming that the trip time of 12 years is according to Earth observers).
edd0107 said "the time spent traveling in a space ship during a one-way trip to the constellation is 12 years", I assumed that to mean that the time was 12 years for the people aboard the ship.

Doc Al
Mentor
edd0107 said "the time spent traveling in a space ship during a one-way trip to the constellation is 12 years", I assumed that to mean that the time was 12 years for the people aboard the ship.
You're right. (D'oh!) And that more interesting problem is also easily solved without a calculator.