1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stumped by simple relativity question

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    I know that the proper length from a person on earth to a certain constellation is 9 light years and that the time spent traveling in a space ship during a one-way trip to the constellation is 12 years. I have been asked to find the velocity and I have been told that I will not need to use a calculator. This has me a little stumped.

My thought is that v=d/t so v=9/12 and the velocity is .75c (c is of course the speed of light). That makes sense if I don't need a calculator. This is the only solution I can come up with.

Any comments, suggestions, or confirmation would be helpful?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds good to me (assuming that the trip time of 12 years is according to Earth observers).

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3

JesseM

Science Advisor

Can you use a pencil and paper, or are you supposed to find a way to solve it that doesn't even require you to solve any equations? If the ship travels at speed v, naturally the time taken in the Earth's frame will be 9/v. But because of time dilation, the time for the ship will be smaller than this be sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2), and if we're using units of light years and years c = 1 so the time according to the ship's clock will by a factor of (9/v)*sqrt(1 - v^2), and that gives us (9/v)*sqrt(1 - v^2) = 12. With a little algebra you can solve this for v without needing to use a calculator (although you have to remember your squares table). I get an answer which is different from 0.75c.

5. Nov 25, 2008 #4

JesseM

Science Advisor

edd0107 said "the time spent traveling in a space ship during a one-way trip to the constellation is 12 years", I assumed that to mean that the time was 12 years for the people aboard the ship.

6. Nov 25, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You're right. (D'oh!) And that more interesting problem is also easily solved without a calculator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?