Stumped by the simplest geometry problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around a geometry problem involving a circle, a ruler, and a pencil. The question is how to draw a segment parallel to a diagonal segment using only a ruler and a pencil. Suggestions include using a compass, drawing tangents to the circle, and folding the paper. The final solution involves measuring the distance AB (or CD) with the ruler and using the compass to draw the parallel segment.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Yes, one more reason to be humble, I know. This is the simplest problem I couldn't solve so far.

Assume we have a circle of center O, a ruler of arbitrary size and a pencil.
We use the ruler and the pencil to choose 4 points on the circle - the extremities of two diametral/diagonal segments.
They build a rectangle. So far so good.

Using the ruler only and the pencil, how can I draw the segment ED (with E the intersection of a line passing through D and the prolongation of AB) which is parallel to the diagonal segment BC?

Thank you for illuminating me.

geogebra-export.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is the distance AB something that you can measure with the ruler, such that you can measure off BE to be the same distance as AB? In order for it to be a parallelogram, you will need for BE to be the same distance as DC, which also is the same as AB.

With just an unmarked (?) ruler, all you can do is extending existing lines or drawing new lines through existing points. ABCD has all possible lines drawn already, and extending them outwards does not lead to new intersections that could give new points of relevance. I don't see how you could do anything without a compass or something similar. With a compass it is trivial.

Likes scottdave
Besides extending the lines, you can also draw tangents to the circle. Maybe the solution lies with tangents to the four circle points.

Can you do that? It looks a bit problematic to do that with a ruler.

mfb said:
Can you do that? It looks a bit problematic to do that with a ruler.

Well its a geometry problem so you can say some line is a tangent line at point X and intersects a line at some other point Y implying you have a right angle and from there you might be able to make an inference that will help you solve it.

Kind of a deep dive into Euclid, but I'm not seeing how it's done. Elements Prop 1.31 gives the construction you want, but it relies on Prop 1.23, which itself requires the construction of several circles.

jedishrfu said:
Well its a geometry problem so you can say some line is a tangent line at point X and intersects a line at some other point Y implying you have a right angle and from there you might be able to make an inference that will help you solve it.
I don't think constructing a tangent to a circle is trivial. Euclid constructs the tangent to a circle by drawing another circle: Prop 3.17

Whether the constructions have to be done like this, I'm not sure. My own tongue-in-cheek solution is a cheat:
Assume the ruler has a finite width less than the radius of the circle and parallel sides. o0) Unfortunately, I think this violates the rules: the ruler is of arbitrary length, but not arbitrary width. For completeness, here would be the rest of the solution:
Put one side of the ruler on the center of the circle and choose points B and D from where the ruler intersects the circle. Construct C and A by passing the straight edge of the ruler through the center of the circle and B and D, respectively. Now place one edge of the ruler on BC and draw a straight line on the other edge. This will intersect CD at its midpoint by nature of the construction of the rectangle ABCD. Repeat this step, placing one edge of the ruler on your new line and drawing another line using the opposite edge of the ruler. Now, this line intersects point D and is parallel to BC.

dextercioby said:
Yes, one more reason to be humble, I know. This is the simplest problem I couldn't solve so far.

We use the ruler and the pencil to choose 4 points on the circle - the extremities of two diametral/diagonal segments.

Using the ruler only and the pencil, how can I draw the segment ED (with E the intersection of a line passing through D and the prolongation of AB) which is parallel to the diagonal segment BC?

View attachment 197189
I did not read any of the responses...

I'd say, use a compass. Match the length AB, and mark a small curve distance AB from point B. Now, draw your segment to intersect the small curve. The intersection of the small curve and the "line" you just drew is your point E. NOW connect point E and D using your straight-edge.

jedishrfu said:
Clever. Good luck trying to draw the tangent from point D, but some or much of my Geometry is lacking right now.

I wasn''t suggesting drawing it but rather defining a tangent line to see where you can go from there.

One idea I had was to fold the paper and use an origami technique to locate the E ie fold along BD and then A and E will coincide and you can draw a line to it.

jedishrfu said:
In previous post, I misunderstood what you said about the tangent.

My current limitation still makes me want to use a compass.

scottdave said:
Is the distance AB something that you can measure with the ruler, such that you can measure off BE to be the same distance as AB? In order for it to be a parallelogram, you will need for BE to be the same distance as DC, which also is the same as AB.
This is correct...
1) "Measure" segment AB (or CD).
2) Align the ruler with the segment AB and continue the line through point B until the line you have drawn is equal to your "measurement".
3) Draw a line from D to the end of the line you just drew in step 2.

UW-PurpleHusky said:
This is correct...
1) "Measure" segment AB (or CD).
2) Align the ruler with the segment AB and continue the line through point B until the line you have drawn is equal to your "measurement".
3) Draw a line from D to the end of the line you just drew in step 2.
Once the task of "measure" segment AB or CD is done, the tool most indicated would be the compass. I wish someone would make clearer how you use just the straight-edge to make a measurement. I can only understand this: Match the two pointers of the compass to each endpoint length to be taken. One puts the pin pointer on one endpoint and adjust the pencil pointer to the other endpoint, and this then holds the distance between the two endpoints. One might do something 'like' this using a straight edge, but the proper tool for this should be the compass.

Ok, thank you for your responses. Let me restate my original problem as follows. Using just a circle of arbitrary radius, arbitrary placed center O in the 2D plane, a ruler with no markings on and arbitrary length and a pencil, I must convert a segment AB (i.e. am given A,B and the line between them, again of arbitrary length with respect to the circle's radius and arbitrary placement with respect to the circle's center) into a segment AM 18 times longer than AB and, moreover, the 17 points equally spaced inbetween A and M should be determined (am given only B, the rest of 16, N_1, N_2,..., N_16 should be determined).
Therefore, I need to able to draw parallel lines, 18 of them, using just the given circle and the ruler. See attached.

geogebra-export.png

dextercioby said:

View attachment 197189
If your ruler is really of arbitary size all you need is to make the ruler of infinite length. Then extend line BC to the left to infinity. Now place the ruler on the end of BC and point D and draw the line.

( the real answer of course is you cannot do any of these problems without a compass)

@jedishrfu : Besides extending the lines, you can also draw tangents to the circle. Maybe the solution lies with tangents to the four circle points .

Geom problem 3.jpg

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby
@dextercioby: Do these problems that you are posting have any rational origin or purpose ?

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
For those with continuing interest in the first problem, here is my solution assuming only unmarked straight edge and pencil.

geogebra-export.jpg

Draw a new diameter through circle center O such that the diameter projects out of the circle and
- intersects only the extended line projections of sides AB and CD
- does not intersect either rectangle side AB or CD
(So to be clear, for example, the new diameter might project "left" from O down to below A, and "right" from O up to above D.)

Call these new intersections on the line projection of sides AB and CD as L and R.

Draw the lines B to R and C to L (these lines are parallel).

Those lines also intersect the circle (call the intersections N and S)

The line through N O S is parallel to AB and CD.

The line N O S intersects the rectangle side BD at its midpoint, call it M.

A line through C and M intersects line projection of AB at the point E.

Draw line DE.

Last edited:
bahamagreen said:
The line through N O S is parallel to AB and CD.
Why?
Draw the first new line very close to A and D. Then S will be very close to A and N will be very close to D.

ruler.png

There is also a problem earlier, but that can be solved by asking to draw a better line:
bahamagreen said:
Those lines also intersect the circle (call the intersections N and S)
They don't have to. Draw the initial line nearly parallel to AB, and the new lines won't intersect the circle.The approach with the new line looks interesting, but so far I don't see how it would help.

Thanks for checking, looks like you are correct. If the midpoint of BD (or any side) can be found then the solution follows; I had tried some different hand drawn tests with rectangles of differing aspect ratio... but not rotated. Noticing angles BNC and BSC will always be right angles... so projecting a new diameter can be used to construct rotated interior rectangles... if only could identify which construction puts NOS parallel to AB and CD.

bahamagreen said:
Noticing angles BNC and BSC will always be right angles
Sure - Thales. We don't need the rest of the construction for that.

Today I learned not to get involved in this sort of thread. I'm not going to even attempt to solve anything here. Free at last!

:)

P.S.

When you say ruler and pencil, it sounds quite odd. We normally use a straight edge, not a ruler. A pencil or some other writing implement is normally assumed.

mfb said:
With just an unmarked (?) ruler, all you can do is extending existing lines or drawing new lines through existing points. ABCD has all possible lines drawn already, and extending them outwards does not lead to new intersections that could give new points of relevance. I don't see how you could do anything without a compass or something similar.

This has to be correct . Solutions involving tangents and auxiliary lines require 'personal judgement' to locate the lines and there is no certainty of an accurate result .

1. What is a geometry problem?

A geometry problem is a mathematical question that involves points, lines, angles, surfaces, and solids. It usually requires using basic geometric principles and formulas to find a solution.

2. Why are geometry problems considered difficult?

Geometry problems can be difficult because they often require a combination of visual and analytical thinking. They also involve multiple steps and may require the use of various geometric concepts and theorems.

3. What are some common strategies for solving geometry problems?

Some common strategies for solving geometry problems include drawing accurate diagrams, identifying given information and what needs to be found, applying relevant formulas and theorems, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving geometry problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving geometry problems. It is also helpful to review and understand basic geometric principles and formulas, and to become familiar with different types of geometry problems and their corresponding strategies.

5. Is there a specific approach to solving geometry problems?

There is no one specific approach to solving geometry problems, as the best approach may vary depending on the problem. However, some general guidelines include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using visual aids and diagrams, and checking for accuracy and logic in your solution.