1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stumped on 2 easy function problems!

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    The first question I have is simple, but when I attempted it, I got stuck.

I'm trying to prove that if f:X->Y and A & B are subsets of X, that f(A intersect B) is a subset of f(A) intersect f(B).

I started by trying to show set containment, beginning with an arbitrary element in f(A intersect B). However, I cannot figure out how to transition into the right hand side of the problem.

----------------------------

The second question I have is proving that if A and B are finite sets having the same cardinality and f:A->B is one-to-one then f is onto.

I missed class this day and can't figure out what cardinality is by reading the chapter.

Someone please help! =\

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2
    1. If [tex]y \in f(A \cap B)[/tex], then [tex]\exists x \in A \cap B[/tex] such that f(x) = y. Then...

2. The cardinality of a set is its "size". The cardinality of a finite set is the number of elements in it. Since A and B are finite sets having the same cardinality, |A| = |B| = n for some natural number n.

4. May 3, 2008 #3
    How do you use |A| = |B| = n to prove f is onto?

5. May 3, 2008 #4
    What have you tried so far? What happens if it isn't onto? In other words what happens if there is an element of B that is not mapped to by any element of A?

6. May 4, 2008 #5
    Precise answer depends on used finite set definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?