Projectile Motion: Understanding Initial and Final Velocities

In summary, air resistance is the force that acts against the motion of an object through air, caused by collisions with air molecules. It slows down objects and is affected by factors such as surface area and mass. It is important to consider in scientific experiments as it can significantly impact results. Air resistance can be calculated using various factors and can be reduced, but not eliminated, by altering the shape or properties of the object or air.
brittanyStein
my techer didnt finish going through everything and she wants us to teach it to ourselves and i don't understand so please help.

neglecting air resistance, the initial horizontal velocity of a projectile is ______ its final horizontal velocity

is it ...
greater than
less than
equal to
directly proportional

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no air resistance what horrizontal forces act on the object after it's thrown

to

I understand your frustration and I am happy to help you understand projectile motion and initial and final velocities. To answer your question, the initial horizontal velocity of a projectile is equal to its final horizontal velocity. This is because in the absence of air resistance, the horizontal velocity of a projectile remains constant throughout its motion. This means that the initial horizontal velocity that the object is given at the start of its motion will be the same as its final horizontal velocity when it reaches the end of its motion. Therefore, the correct answer to your question is "equal to". I hope this helps clarify your understanding of projectile motion. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the collisions of air molecules with the surface of the object.

2. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object?

Air resistance acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, slowing it down. This means that objects with greater surface area or larger mass will experience more air resistance.

3. Why is air resistance important to consider in scientific experiments?

Air resistance can significantly affect the results of experiments involving the motion of objects through air. It must be taken into account in order to accurately analyze and understand the data collected.

4. How is air resistance calculated?

The calculation of air resistance depends on various factors, such as the size and shape of the object, its velocity, and the density of the air. It can be calculated using complex mathematical formulas or by conducting experiments and measuring the force of air resistance directly.

5. Can air resistance be reduced or eliminated?

Air resistance cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by altering the shape or size of an object, or by changing the properties of the air, such as its density or viscosity. This is often done in engineering and design to improve the efficiency of objects moving through air.