Stumped on Moments / Forces diagram qn. Help

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem where the person is given a force diagram and needs to find the reaction forces at two points on the ground. The answer key is provided as (498.1N↑; 104.2N→, 92.8N↑) and the person mentions using the equations 600 sin 10 and 600 cos 10 to calculate the x and y reaction forces at the pivot. They also mention using the equation for the sum of moments about any point to solve for the vertical reaction at the left support.
Deathfish
1. 1. Homework Statement

Ok. I'm given a force diagram, and I have to figure out the reaction forces at the two points on the ground.

moments1.gif

answer key: (498.1N↑; 104.2N→, 92.8N↑)

Homework Equations

Ok. I only got so far as the x-reaction force at the pivot... 600 sin 10 = <- 104.2N

The Attempt at a Solution

Total y-reaction forces - 600 cos 10 = 590.88N

600 cos 10 = 590.88N
600 sin 10 = 104.2N

root 0.2^2 x 0.3^2 = 0.36m

104.19N x 0.3m = 31.257Nm
590.88N x 0.2m = 118.177 Nm

498.1N + 92.8N = 590.9N

i can't figure out how to get 498.1N and 92.8N at the two points respectively...
anyone can show how to achieve the answer? Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Sum of moments about any point = 0. Try summing moments of all forces about the hinge to solve for the vertical reaction at the left support. Watch plus and minus signs (ccw and cw moments). Don't forget the moment from both the vertical and horizontal components of the appied force.

1. What is a moments/forces diagram?

A moments/forces diagram, also known as a free body diagram, is a visual representation of all the forces and their direction acting on an object. It helps to analyze the equilibrium or motion of an object.

2. How do I draw a moments/forces diagram?

To draw a moments/forces diagram, first identify all the forces acting on the object, including their direction and magnitude. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object and label all the forces with arrows pointing in the direction of the force. Finally, add any necessary values or measurements to the diagram.

3. What is the purpose of a moments/forces diagram?

The purpose of a moments/forces diagram is to help analyze the forces acting on an object and determine its motion or equilibrium. It is also useful in solving problems related to forces and moments.

4. Are moments and forces the same thing?

No, moments and forces are not the same thing. A force is a push or pull acting on an object, while a moment is a rotational force that causes an object to turn around a pivot point. Both forces and moments are represented on a moments/forces diagram.

5. How can I use a moments/forces diagram to solve a problem?

A moments/forces diagram can be used to solve a problem by helping to visualize and understand the forces acting on an object. By accurately representing the forces and their direction, you can use equations and principles of physics to analyze the problem and find a solution.