Precalc Problem: Finding XMIN, XMAX, YMIN, YMAX with F(X) and its Properties

• Thread starter HarveyBullock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalc
In summary, to find the xmin, xmax, ymin, and ymax for the function F(x) = .2x^4 - 2x^2 - 5x, you can use a graphing calculator to visually identify the humps or minima and maxima, and then zoom in to find the actual values. The domain is the range of x values, and the range is the range of y values. Additionally, to find increasing and decreasing intervals, you can use differentiation to find the critical points and test the intervals on either side to determine whether they are increasing or decreasing. The function is neither odd nor even.
HarveyBullock

Homework Statement

1. given F(x) = .2x^4 - 2x^2 - 5x
find: XMIN, XMAX, YMIN, YMAX

2. Using F(X) find the following:
a. Domain
b. Range
c. List increasing intervals
d. List decreasing intervals
e. Coordinates of any maximums or minimums

I worked it out mostly on paper and can't get that far. I did figure out though that the function is neither odd nor even. which was for a different question

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
given F(x) = .2x^4 - 2x^2 - 5x

Since you are not looking for roots but want minima and maxima and the problem is for Precalculus, easiest and fastest is to use a graphing calculator.

symbolipoint said:
Since you are not looking for roots but want minima and maxima and the problem is for Precalculus, easiest and fastest is to use a graphing calculator.

I entered it on the calculator but did not really see the "hump" do figure out maxima and minima

Did you learn any rules for differentiation?

If you differentiate it, you're finding the equation of the slope of your original function.
Set the new equation equal to zero and solve for different values of x to get the critical points (don't forget the endpoints are also critical points).
Plug in numbers on either side of those points to find whether it's positive or negative (increasing or decreasing)... If the critical point is between a positive and a negative slope, it will be a local max or min (depending on which side has the positive and negative).

HarveyBullock said:
I entered it on the calculator but did not really see the "hump" do figure out maxima and minima

You will see an inflection, but no other kind of hump. The question is here in the Precalculus section of this category of the forum, so no calculus assumed and none expected. With a graphing program or tool, you will find two Real roots, and there is only one minimum; no other minimum or maximum.

For viewing, you could set to XMIN = ~-10, XMAX = ~+15, YMIN = -20, YMAX = ~+15.
The one obvious root is (0, 0), and the other root just a fraction of a unit greater than x=4 (but you find it yourself using your program or your graphing calculator).

Your function can be transformed into [itex]F(x)=\frac{1}{5}x(x^3-10x-25)[/itex]. When you try examining the cubic factor with the Rational Roots method, you may find you cannot obtain another polynomial factor. I suspect that two factors for F(x) could contain either non-rational roots or complex roots.

HarveyBullock said:

Homework Statement

1. given F(x) = .2x^4 - 2x^2 - 5x
find: XMIN, XMAX, YMIN, YMAX
This makes no sense. First, obviously, there is NO y and so no "YMIN" or "YMAX"! I assume you mean y= F(x). More importantly, unless additional conditions are given, there is not limit in x and so there is no "XMIN" or "XMAX". (Perhaps they intend XMIN= -infinity and XMAX= +infinity.)

Are you sure about that "x" in "-5x"? Without it, we could let [itex]u= x^2[/itex], so the equation becomes [itex]u= .2u^2- 2u- 5= (1/5)(u^2- 10u- 25)=(1/5)(u^2- 10u+ 25- 50)= (1/5)((u- 5)^2- =50)[/itex]. In that form, it is relatively easy to determine the values you want.

If it really is [itex]F(x)= .2x^4- 2x^2- 5x= (1/5)x(x^3- 10x- 25)[/itex]. Now, you would have to use differentiation to find max and min.

2. Using F(X) find the following:
a. Domain
b. Range
c. List increasing intervals
d. List decreasing intervals
e. Coordinates of any maximums or minimums

I worked it out mostly on paper and can't get that far. I did figure out though that the function is neither odd nor even. which was for a different question

Hi,

It is clear that f(x) will be plotted on an x, y graph so xmin, xmax correspond to the x-axis minima and maxima humps, ymin and ymax correspond to the values.

To search for these using your graphing calculator stay with a large range like
Xmin & ymin = -50 and then xmax and ymax = 50.

Once you see humps on the graph zoom into the ranges to get the actual values.

Your domain will be xmin, xmax.

Your range will be ymin to ymax.

Hope this helps

1. What is precalculus and why is it important?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that focuses on preparing students for calculus. It covers topics such as algebra, functions, trigonometry, and analytic geometry. It is important because it provides the foundation for higher-level math courses, including calculus, which is required for many science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields.

2. I'm stuck on a precalculus problem, how do I approach it?

When faced with a difficult precalculus problem, it's important to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the given information and what the problem is asking for. Then, review the concepts and formulas related to the problem. If you're still stuck, try looking for similar examples or asking for help from a teacher or tutor.

3. How can I improve my precalculus skills?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you work through problems and concepts, the better you will become at precalculus. It's also helpful to review your notes and textbook regularly, seek out additional resources like online tutorials or practice problems, and collaborate with classmates or a study group.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for in precalculus?

Yes, there are some common mistakes that students make in precalculus. These include not paying attention to details, not following the correct order of operations, and not showing all the steps in a problem. It's important to double-check your work and be thorough in your problem-solving process.

5. How can I use precalculus in real life?

Precalculus has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, understanding functions and their graphs can help with budgeting and financial planning. Trigonometry is used in fields such as architecture, navigation, and engineering. And analytic geometry is used in computer graphics and GPS technology. Overall, precalculus helps develop problem-solving skills that can be applied in a variety of real-world situations.