1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stumped on Question!

1. Oct 24, 2004 #1
    A Man is on a 24 metre tall Building, and is going to swing from the top of this building to the Bottom of an Identical building on a rope. the Buildings are 24 metres apart, His rope is 24 metres long. He starts from Rest with the rope horizontal, but the rope will break if the tension force in it is twice the weight of the teacher. How high is the swinging man above ground level when the rope breaks?

_________---24 metres--- :smile:

Hint, Aparently you use

½mv² = mgh
    where h = r-rcosθ

m = mass
    g = 9.81 m/s²
    v = velocity
    h = height
    r = radius (24 metres)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So what have YOU done so far? :-)
  4. Oct 24, 2004 #3
    I dont know where to begin. I've never done this type of question before and sure never learned how to do it. I know bottom is Fc=T-Fg I dont know what to do when its at an angle. I came to a couple of answers where my angle where the rope breaks was 60 but It doesnt get me to the right answer. :confused:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?