Stung by a bee

  • Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • #26
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Whatever your political/social preference is, don't pull the stinger out by squeezing it. Scrape it out with the edge of a knife blade. Someone mentioned hooking it out, I imagine they mean getting it out any way you can without squeezing it.
Just to point out why this is important, if you grab it and pull it out (like with tweezers or pinched between fingers), you'll basically be injecting the rest of the contents of the little sac attached to the stinger so you'll get more of a dose than if you just left it bee (sorry, couldn't resist :redface:). So, gently scrape it up to lift it out without squeezing.

Anyway, if you can see a stinger, there's nothing to scrape out.

I got stung once walking through grass in sandals...not sure I stepped ON the bee, but apparently close enough...got stung on the side of the foot. I'm EXTREMELY careful around bees now (not that I wasn't before, but even more so now)...my entire foot and ankle swelled up, and that's the first sting I ever got. You're not supposed to get an allergic reaction if it's the first sting, but considering that reaction, I don't want to know what happens with the second. Then again, my grandmother would always get a lot of swelling from bee stings like that, and it never got worse like allergic reactions might, just very painful. My dad, on the other hand, would go into anaphylactic shock from bee stings and needed to get an epinephrine shot within minutes of a sting...the time it took from sting to difficulty breathing got shorter with every sting too.
 
  • #27
2,985
15
Go see a doctor right away you might have AIDS or possibly cancer!!
 
  • #28
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,887
616
Moonbear, that sounds frightening. Maybe you were stung as a toddler...?

Last time I was stung, it was from a wasp. I sat on it. I jumped up and it flew off, rather pissed off and indignant I imagine, since wasps don't die after stinging.

I took some Benadryl, which seemed to help. Holding an ice cube on it helped a lot, and it also amused my daughter, who walked in on me as I stood in my bathroom holding an ice cube on my @ss.
 
  • #29
Who was the member of PF who had a bad bee's nest in their yard?

I remember a few months ago reading about his on-going battle with that nest, but do not recall it ever being settled.

After reading this thread, it got me thinking about what happend to it :)
 
  • #30
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Moonbear, that sounds frightening. Maybe you were stung as a toddler...?
Nope, one and only one sting in my life...had been really lucky until then. The sting itself didn't even hurt much...when I first felt it, I thought it was a mosquito or fly that bit me until I saw the bee. Since I was at a picnic, there was plenty of ice, so as soon as it started to swell, I got it iced down, and I thought it would just be a little bump until it kept swelling. The spot where I actually got stung never did hurt much, but then my ankle was really aching from the swelling later. I took benedryl when I got home too...I don't know if it helped the swelling much, but it helped me fall asleep so I didn't care, and by the next day the swelling was going back down. If I'm someplace where there are a lot of bees (like parks), I just make sure I tell someone I'm with about that in case I get stung again and have a more severe reaction.
 
  • #31
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Who was the member of PF who had a bad bee's nest in their yard?

I remember a few months ago reading about his on-going battle with that nest, but do not recall it ever being settled.

After reading this thread, it got me thinking about what happend to it :)
Oh, that was Ivan, wasn't it? With a whole swarm in his backyard? Hmm...yeah, we never did hear how that got resolved.
 
  • #32
695
6
Everytime I get stung it hurts. It feels like a lit cigarette is put out on my skin. I don't swell up a lot but it hurts. I never thought I was a baby when it comes to pain, I mean I can take pain. a sting is just extremely painful almost as bad as when a grapefruit squirts you in your eye, owww.
 
  • #33
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,887
616
Everytime I get stung it hurts. It feels like a lit cigarette is put out on my skin. I don't swell up a lot but it hurts. I never thought I was a baby when it comes to pain, I mean I can take pain. a sting is just extremely painful almost as bad as when a grapefruit squirts you in your eye, owww.
:eek: Why are you looking so closely at grapefruit? Maybe you should wear safety glasses.
 
  • #34
I think Danger is just a double hard guy. For him a bee sting is no more painful than a winging of your nuts, you know where you go oooh that was close and the fear and pain are temporary, and you don't end up bent double, or vomiting. Respect is due. :smile:

Moonbear I think you probably have an allergic reaction to bee stings, but it's not as bad as it might be? Don't know?
 
Last edited:
  • #35
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,051
18
Has the time come for us to speak of such things?
Of course it has, my dear woodworker! Have you not been listening at all to that Al Gore chap? The seas: they boil!
 
  • #36
tgt
520
2
I was just thinking, imagine using bees as a torture technique?
 
  • #37
695
6
I was just thinking, imagine using bees as a torture technique?
Nah, I'll stick with Gokul's puns.
 
  • #38
~christina~
Gold Member
715
0
Not sure if this fits but a wasp was trying to eat my ankle once. :surprised
It started to chew on my skin and made a hole before I noticed...ewww.
Must have been a carnivorous wasp because I don't think I look like a tree.

And my family was looking for a new house and we were in a available one and not only was it creepy since the bed that the man who owned the house before, died on was still in his room but another turn off was that I was casually looking out a second story window when I saw in between the 2 panes of glass, a wasp nest was starting. Yes there obviously was a hole in the outer pane of glass somewhere and the wasp nest was 2 inches long with 3-5 wasps.
 
  • #39
Evo
Mentor
23,153
2,771
A good friend of mine is deathly allergic to bees and he came close to dying last time he was stung.

I'v been stung once by a bee (I stepped on it while mowing the lawn barefooted), and once by a wasp when I was clipping bushes and chopped into a wasp nest.

I did have a honey bee hive in my house once and had to have a professional come and try to remove the hive, but he couldn't get to it, so he had to kill them, he was about to cry. The house was built like a piece of swiss cheese. They built the nest inside the walls and they would come flying out of cabinets when you opened them. :bugeye:

Oh, and a paste of water and baking soda applied to a sting will help to soothe it.
 
  • #40
Bit of myth about baking soda for bees and something acidic for wasps. The venom is already in your system, the relief lowering or highering the pH will achieve is minimal. Best thing to do is what has already been suggested, hook out the stinger if it's in there. Or just put a cold compress on it. The other things are generally placebos, although by all means if they work use them. Just don't put baking soda on wasp stings they are alkali already, you'd be making it worse even if it did make any difference which it doesn't. Bee stings are acid.

I can only imagine how bad it is to be allergic if one sting will kill you, thankfully most people in that situation carry drugs to prevent any anyphalactic shock. Trouble is it often happens after you get sting once and the immune system goes nuts, you may not present with severe symptoms then, you often wont know you are allergic until it happens again and then you could be in a lot of trouble.
 
Last edited:
  • #41
Evo
Mentor
23,153
2,771
It's cold and therefor soothing, but you have a good point. I personally used an antihistamine cream. My doctor prescribed cortisone for bug bites, so I have no idea which is better.

Yes my friend has to carry an epi pen, but after that last sting, the next could be fatal. He swells up and stops breathing. My dad was also hospitalized for a bee sting.
 
  • #42
Yeah I can see why, with bug bites, especially if there is an allergic reaction. I think once it's in you there's little you can do accept relieve it in any way that works. It's like a snake bite, you could try and suck out the venom, but to be honest the best solution is to remain calm or as calm as you can, and seek help. Anything else is probably a little too late although it does of course depend on whether the venom is contact or insinuative.

A cold compress will work to reduce swelling, it'll also fool your nervous system into feeling cold not the pain involved with tissue damage. So it probably is more effective than just sprinkling on a bit of bicarb.
 
Last edited:

Related Threads on Stung by a bee

  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
43
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
1K
Replies
16
Views
2K
Replies
1
Views
595
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
24
Views
4K
Top