Disappointing "Squeaky Cheese" Curds

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the squeaky cheese was a disappointment. The cheese curds did not make any noise when eaten and were also quite dry. The store owner suggested that the cheese might not be fresh because it did not make noise. I returned the cheese to the store.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I bought some cheese curds last week - so called "squeaky cheese". What a rip-off. They don't squeak or make any noise at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, you need to eat them. If you stare at them, they just sit there. Silently.

Chi Meson said:
Um, you need to eat them. If you stare at them, they just sit there. Silently.

oh, you are veddy, veddy funny!

I did eat them. Not a single one cried out in pain. :grumpy:

Try chewing reeeeeeeeeal slooooooow.

If the curds still don't squeal, take it back to the store! "My cheese is completely silent! You sold me mute cheese!"

Kind of like the Big Bang theory. Not very big, nor very loud. What a rip-off indeed.

'Ello, I wish to register a complaint about this cheese I purchased from this very boutique not half an hour ago.

Oooh, what is "squeeky cheese"?

ok, chewing sloooowly. nope. still quiet. I think these curds are definitely defective.

Or maybe they just sold me plain old wads of cheese hoping I would be suggestible enough to "hear" squeaking.

Evo said:
Oooh, what is "squeeky cheese"?

http://www.squeakycheese.com/docs/aboutcurd.htm

Squeakycheese (cheese curd) is fresh, young cheddar cheese in the natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks and aged. (Cheddar cheese is typically aged from 60 days to 4 years before being sold.) It's most amazing quality of course is that it squeaks when it's eaten. SqueakyCheese is it's very best at room temperature or even slightly warmed. Unlike the aged variety of Cheddar, curds lose their desirable qualities if refrigerated or stored for a long period of time (the squeak disappears and they turn dry and salty). This means that even if you can find them in ordinary supermarkets, they are probably a few weeks old, and will have lost their incredible taste. But the freshly made and rush shipped cheese curds from squeakycheese.com still have their moist squeaky properties.

I wonder if they were refrigerated too long.

Maybe just not fresh, MIH, because, yes, fresh curds squeak against your teeth when you eat them. Plus, they have amazing flavour!

Maybe it's shy cheese. After a while, it'll start to relax, once it gets to know you better. Then it'll start to squeak. It will sqeak more and more and more...pretty soon you won't be able to shut it up!

"wensleydale?"
"yes sir!"
:rofl:

Evo said:

That's delightful!

GeorginaS said:
Maybe just not fresh, MIH, because, yes, fresh curds squeak against your teeth when you eat them. Plus, they have amazing flavour!

I'm so disappointed.

lisab said:
Maybe it's shy cheese. After a while, it'll start to relax, once it gets to know you better. Then it'll start to squeak. It will sqeak more and more and more...pretty soon you won't be able to shut it up!

"Hello, I'd like to return this cheese."
"what's the problem?"
"It's very shy."
"What sort of wine did you have with it?"
"Wine? No wine."
"Well, there's your problem. One always drinks wine with cheese. Helps the cheese relax."

Math Is Hard said:
"Hello, I'd like to return this cheese."
"what's the problem?"
"It's very shy."
"What sort of wine did you have with it?"
"Wine? No wine."
"Well, there's your problem. One always drinks wine with cheese. Helps the cheese relax."

MIH, just don't give it tequila, whatever you do!

lisab said:

MIH, just don't give it tequila, whatever you do!

:bugeye:

That would explain those "Cheese Gone Wild" videos.

Math Is Hard said:
I bought some cheese curds last week - so called "squeaky cheese". What a rip-off. They don't squeak or make any noise at all.

Don't buy 'cottage' cheese then---I don't think you'll be happy with it either

Kurdt said:
'Ello, I wish to register a complaint about this cheese I purchased from this very boutique not half an hour ago.
Ah yes, the squeeky bleu! Well, what's wrong with it?

I'm not a fan of squeaky cheese. They're is a fast food place here in Quebec where they put it on the poutines.

I shall play my drum for the baby cheeses.

Kurdt said:
shades of a dead parrot? :smile:

Ouabache said:
shades of a dead parrot? :smile:
There goes my conversation...:frown:

Oh well...I was, uh, sitting in the public library on Thurmon Street just now, skimming through Rogue Herrys by Hugh Walpole, and I suddenly came over all peckish. And I thought to myself, "a little fermented curd will do the trick," so, I curtailed my Walpoling activites, sallied forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In Wisconsin, we would warm up a couple of bags of curds to room temperature, sprinkle a little bit of salt on them and eat them along with some smoked chubs and summer sausage with crackers washed down with a cold Old Milwaukee (or 3) during a Packer game. YUM! :biggrin:

When living in Portland, OR, we lived on Tilamook cheddar. Whenever taking a trip to the coast we would pass the Tilamook factory and help ourselves to the free curd left out in a big bowl.

In retrospect, probably not very sanitary, but we would be so hungry by then after Kayaking through the kelp forests, or whatever we did that day.

JasonRox said:
I'm not a fan of squeaky cheese. They're is a fast food place here in Quebec where they put it on the poutines.

They put it on their chests?

1. What makes "Squeaky Cheese" Curds disappointing?

"Squeaky Cheese" curds are considered disappointing because they do not have the characteristic texture and flavor that is expected from traditional curds. They do not have the desirable squeak when chewed and can have a rubbery or tough consistency.

2. Why do some people still enjoy "Squeaky Cheese" Curds?

Despite the disappointment, some people may still enjoy "Squeaky Cheese" curds for their novelty or for the potential health benefits of consuming cheese. However, they may not be considered a true representation of traditional curds.

3. What causes "Squeaky Cheese" Curds to lose their squeak?

The squeak in cheese curds comes from the moisture in the curds rubbing against each other. When "Squeaky Cheese" curds are mass-produced and stored for longer periods of time, they lose their moisture and therefore their squeak.

4. Are there any benefits to consuming "Squeaky Cheese" Curds?

While "Squeaky Cheese" curds may not have the desired texture and flavor, they still contain protein and calcium, which are important nutrients for the body. However, there are healthier options for consuming these nutrients through other types of cheese or foods.

5. Can anything be done to improve the quality of "Squeaky Cheese" Curds?

Some manufacturers have experimented with different production processes and ingredients to try and improve the quality of "Squeaky Cheese" curds. However, the best way to ensure high-quality curds is to purchase them from a reputable and traditional source.