1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid easy question about spin.

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay, this would be easy if it hadn't been 15 years since undergrad quantum. Here goes.

I'm finding the energy spectrum of a Heisenberg "two-electron ferromagnet", if you will, with a Hamiltonian described by

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, after a while of dusting off my brain and groveling to fellow students, I figured out that

[tex](\hat{S_1}+\hat{S_2})^2 = \hat{S_1}^2 + \hat{S_2}^2 + 2\hat{S_1}\cdot\hat{S_2} \rightarrow \hat{S_1}\cdot\hat{S_2} = \frac{1}{2}( (\hat{S_1}+\hat{S_2})^2 -\hat{S_1}^2 -\hat{S_2}^2 ) [/tex]

So my Hamiltonian is now

[tex]H = -\frac{1}{2}J((\hat{S_1}+\hat{S_2})^2 - \hat{S_1}^2 -\hat{S_2}^2 ) - h(\hat{S_{z1}}+\hat{S_{z2}})[/tex]

Okay. Now, the eigenvalues of [tex]\hat{S}^2[/tex] are [tex]s(s+1)[/tex] (we're doing the usual [tex]\hbar=1[/tex] trick). And the eigenvalues of [tex]\hat{S_z}[/tex] are [tex]m[/tex]. And I know that electrons have [tex]s=\frac{1}{2}[/tex] and [tex]m=-s...s[/tex] in integer steps.

So... it should just be a matter of plugging in possible values for, er, s&m, so to speak. But the [tex](\hat{S_1}+\hat{S_2})^2[/tex] term confuses me. My gut feeling is to treat that as an [tex]\hat{S}^2[/tex] term but use values [tex]-1,0,1[/tex] as possible values of [tex]\hat{S_1}+\hat{S_2}[/tex]. Is that the right way to handle it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yes, that's roughly right.

Your H may be written as [itex] -J/2 ( S_{tot}^2 - S_1^2 - S_2^2 -h S_{tot,z}) [/itex]
    This is diagonal if you use for basis the three spin 1 states. Applying [itex]S_{tot}^2 [/itex]will give [itex] 1 \times (1+1) \hbar^2 = 2 \hbar^2 [/itex] for any of the spin 1 states. Applying S_1^2 or S_2^2 will give [itex]1/2(1/2+1) hbar^2 = 3/4 \hbar^2[/itex]. The only term that will distinguish between the three S=1 states is the [itex]S_{tot,z}[/itex] operator that gives [itex] m_{tot} \hbar [/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?