Frustrated with eBay Feedback?

• Thread starter z-component
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feedback
In summary: Feedback is a great way to show that you're a good buyer and seller. eBay is more effective this way.
z-component
First I'd like to start off by saying if the descriptions used the following rant describe YOU, I'm sorry, but it's very annoying and unprofessional.

Why is it that eBayers don't leave prompt feedback? I only have a few feedback points but I'm sick of being cheated out of reputation points. When I'm a seller, my buyer pays me instantly, so I leave them positive feedback. "Fast payment! Thanks!" When I'm a buyer, I wait until I receive the item, and if it's satisfactory, leave positive feedback for the seller. I just sold an item and bought another one, and neither person has given me feedback. It's been almost 2 weeks. I sent them both a nice e-mail asking for feedback but they seem to be unresponsive. That's unprofessional and irritating! :mad:

I used to like doing transactions on eBay but if I can't build a better reputation I'm not going to be trusted any more than I am now. Does anyone else share my irritation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't buy or sell on eBay. You expect people to give feedback? Why? And what does being professional have to do with anything? It's not a profession, it's like an online garage sale. You don't have to develop a professional business relationship to buy and sell junk.

Maybe you should consider selling something people actually want to buy...

Moonbear said:
I don't buy or sell on eBay. You expect people to give feedback? Why? And what does being professional have to do with anything? It's not a profession, it's like an online garage sale. You don't have to develop a professional business relationship to buy and sell junk.

I agree! :approve:

Whether it's a profession or not, the manner in which people conduct transactions on eBay is useful because users called for an easier way to determine a seller or buyers' integrity. I'm not sure, since you said you don't use eBay, if you know the advantages of using feedback, but using that feature makes eBay more effective and safe.

I agree eBay isn't some great established business but there are people who do participate with feedback and realize it's a useful system. I'm not arguing anything but the fact that people are cheating me out of building my reputation. I'm not expecting people to help me do so, but realize, the purpose of writing this is because this is a rant. Whether you agree with my point of view, this bothers me, so I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same way. And Cyrus-- I'm speaking about AFTER the transaction, meaning whatever the person bought was worth something to them, so I don't think them buying something they didn't want in the first place is an issue.

I feel like I'm arguing against Bill O'Reilly! :D

I still think your selling junk,

What say you z-component? :rofl:

I always got/gave positive feedback...stop selling junk. I think I even have a little gold star.

Last edited:
I've sold a few books and CDs on Amazon (friendly and efficient transactions, thank you), and I have yet to be left any feedback. I don't really mind. The buyers have no obligation to. Moreover, Amazon (and likewise eBay, I believe) mediates the entire process. The risk involved, if any, is small.

Knavish said:
I've sold a few books and CDs on Amazon (friendly and efficient transactions, thank you), and I have yet to be left any feedback. I don't really mind. The buyers have no obligation to. Moreover, Amazon (and likewise eBay, I believe) mediates the entire process. The risk involved, if any, is small.
Amazon's system is very different to eBay's. With Amazon, they deduct the money from the buyer's account and send it to you, so if there's a problem you can get the money back far easier than with eBay's system where the buyer pays the seller directly. Moreover, eBay doesn't even intervene in the first place when the amount of money in question is below a certain limit.

That's awful. I've never used eBay, and now I don't think I ever will.

Just don't be the idiot that pays $500 for an X-box, box on eBay. :rofl:

Knavish said:
That's awful. I've never used eBay, and now I don't think I ever will.

Theres a tremendously popular escrow service called PayPal being used that practically guarantees your transaction will go through. And really, its VERY inconsiderate to not give people feedback. A LOT of people refuse to buy from people with low # of feedback and if people are just trying to get into ebay selling and are good, honest people, they'll find it difficult to get trust established if you don't give feedback.

Moonbear said:
... it's like an online garbage sale...

Fixed.:biggrin:

I agree. You don't get to inspect the item the way you would in a store. You're buying from a stranger, based on a description and a photo, at best. The feedback left by other buyers is the only thing you have to go on when judging the reliability of the seller's description and his likelihood to deliver. Not leaving feedback is as much a disservice to other buyers as to the seller.

I agree.

In fact, I bought something from amazon about 30 mins ago from their "Marketplace" (where other companies/people sell the same thing as amazon). Here they had a few people/companies selling the book I was looking for brand new. The "low price" seller had only 2 reviews in the last 12 months, and with a 5-star average. Another seller had over 100 reviews in the last 12 months, with a 4.5-star average, but a few dollars more than the low price. I spent the extra dollar or two, and bought from the person with more reviews.

edit.. Hmm it was actually 39 cents more lol.

And talking about stupid look at this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0070856133/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Would you buy the book used or new? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
BobG said:
I agree. You don't get to inspect the item the way you would in a store. You're buying from a stranger, based on a description and a photo, at best. The feedback left by other buyers is the only thing you have to go on when judging the reliability of the seller's description and his likelihood to deliver. Not leaving feedback is as much a disservice to other buyers as to the seller.
I'd be more concerned by negative feedback than no feedback. But, you've hit on exactly the reason I wouldn't use eBay. I wouldn't know if I could trust the feedback anyway. Why would I trust the other buyers to be honest any more than the seller? Besides, if someone actually bugged me for feedback after the whole thing was done, I'd probably give them negative feedback just because they annoyed me. I guess I would figure if someone had no feedback that it meant nobody was so upset over non-delivery or receiving something completely misrepresented that they were motivated to complain. Isn't that the way normal business operates too? Nobody runs back and says, "Hey, great job!" to the salesmen, it's assumed that if they made the sale, they did their job well. But, if you do a horrid job, promise something that is never delivered, etc., then you get complaints.

mattmns said:
I agree.

In fact, I bought something from amazon about 30 mins ago from their "Marketplace" (where other companies/people sell the same thing as amazon). Here they had a few people/companies selling the book I was looking for brand new. The "low price" seller had only 2 reviews in the last 12 months, and with a 5-star average. Another seller had over 100 reviews in the last 12 months, with a 4.5-star average, but a few dollars more than the low price. I spent the extra dollar or two, and bought from the person with more reviews.
I usually end up looking at the shipping charges and going direct through Amazon than through one of the other sellers, especially if I'm buying enough to qualify for Amazon's free shipping (which I usually do when I shop there)...everything I've ever compared has turned out to be more expensive from the third-party sellers once you've added in the shipping costs.

And talking about stupid look at this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0070856133/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Would you buy the book used or new? :rolleyes:
:rofl: Pretty sad. All the positive reviews in the world wouldn't convince me to buy used from those folks. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
I'd be more concerned by negative feedback than no feedback. But, you've hit on exactly the reason I wouldn't use eBay. I wouldn't know if I could trust the feedback anyway. Why would I trust the other buyers to be honest any more than the seller? Besides, if someone actually bugged me for feedback after the whole thing was done, I'd probably give them negative feedback just because they annoyed me. I guess I would figure if someone had no feedback that it meant nobody was so upset over non-delivery or receiving something completely misrepresented that they were motivated to complain. Isn't that the way normal business operates too? Nobody runs back and says, "Hey, great job!" to the salesmen, it's assumed that if they made the sale, they did their job well. But, if you do a horrid job, promise something that is never delivered, etc., then you get complaints.
If someone doesn't pay or someone doesn't deliver, you could pretty well count on a negative feedback to stand.

The grayer areas are when the product didn't meet the customer's expectations. Was the posting misleading or did the customer just not read the explanation of what he was buying. A lot of these turn into some ugly feedback and it doesn't take long for both the buyer and the seller to realize they're doing something really stupid. Whatever resolution they reach, it usually includes both parties withdrawing their feedback.

You're going to get a certain percentage of folks that just don't bother to leave feedback, especially if they're not a regular on eBay (you get reminders that you still owe feedback if you frequent eBay regularly). A suspiciously large number makes you a little worried about buying from someone.

I keep finding sellers who refuse to leave feedback until they have received it.

This way, if I leave them negative feedback (for whatever reason) then they leave retaliatory feedback for no reason other than revenge. As a result, if I'm buying, I only ever give feedback once I've received it. When I'm selling, I leave it as soon as I receive payment.

eBay is great but some of the twattish users really get on my tits.

1. Why am I frustrated with eBay feedback?

There can be multiple reasons for feeling frustrated with eBay feedback. Some common reasons include receiving unfair or negative feedback from buyers, not receiving enough feedback for your sales, or feeling like the feedback system is flawed or biased.

2. Can I do anything about unfair or negative feedback?

Yes, eBay has a system in place for resolving disputes over feedback. You can reach out to eBay's customer service and provide evidence to support your case. They may remove the negative feedback if they determine it to be unfair.

3. How important is feedback on eBay?

Feedback is very important on eBay as it serves as a reputation system for buyers and sellers. Positive feedback can help attract more buyers and increase sales, while negative feedback can have the opposite effect. It is also a way for eBay to monitor and improve the overall buying and selling experience on their platform.

4. What can I do to increase my feedback on eBay?

There are a few things you can do to increase your feedback on eBay. First, make sure to provide excellent customer service and accurately describe your items to avoid negative feedback. You can also leave feedback for buyers, which may encourage them to leave feedback for you in return. Additionally, offering incentives such as discounts for leaving feedback can also help increase your feedback score.

5. Is the eBay feedback system fair?

The fairness of the eBay feedback system is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, eBay does have measures in place to prevent abuse of the feedback system, such as the ability to report unfair or abusive feedback. They also have a policy that prohibits buyers from using feedback as a form of extortion or retaliation.