1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid Equation

1. Dec 24, 2004 #1
    How do I solve the following equation?

8n^2 = 64 n lg(n); (0 < n)

n = 8lg(n)
    10^n = 10^8 n
    ...??? How do I isolate n?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who says u can???It's typically a transcendental equation.I suggest either graphical method (intersaction of graphs) (done by computer,maybe),or taking a calculator and "solving it through tries".Your equation may have 0,1 or maximum 2 solutions.

Daniel.

4. Dec 24, 2004 #3
    I already did that with mathematica and got that one solution is x ~ 6.5... I just wanted to know if there was any algebraic solution...

I study running times of some algorithms and got this questions: for that values of n is the following inequality true:
    8n^2 < 64 n lg(n)

Is there no analytical approach. This is a potential exam question and were not allowed to use calculators...

5. Dec 24, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is n supposed to be an integer?

6. Dec 24, 2004 #5
    Yes, n is integer (input size for algorithm) but I'm interested in both cases. (real/integer)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?