Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid experiments you have done

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So what kind of stupid experiments has everyone tried?

For example, i was going to (but never got around to it) try to find out the specific heat of coca-cola. I also wanted to find out if smaller ice cooled faster then larger ice. So what kinda stupid or pointless or nearly pointless experiments have you done? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

While I was on a remote assignment in Alaska, a few of my friends had an assignment in Australia. We all drunk to excess, then called each other to see if the room spun in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere than the Northern Hemisphere. The results were inconclusive either because there are other dominant forces that affect the direction the room spins or because we were too drunk to do the experiment properly.

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That would involve cooking. :rofl:

I had to eat the whole thing. :yuck:

Other than that, I had a chemsitry set when I was very young. We just mixed a bunch of stuff together to make the 'next greatest invention'.

It was rather 'toxic' - but no we did not ingest it. It just killed whatever my brother and I put in it. Probably a universal bateriacide, herbicide, insecticide and rodentcide. :biggrin:

I think we eventually flushed it down the toilet.

5. Jul 11, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I found with a take off speed of 70 mph i can fly about 40 ft.

6. Jul 11, 2005 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In what? And with what angle of take off?

At an intersection where the side roads had a pretty steep angle (at least 30 degrees) up to the main road, a friend of mine managed to clear a two lane intersection (about 30 feet?) to beat the yellow in his family's station wagon, but the landing didn't do the muffler any good.

I wouldn't have any idea how fast he was going - my life passing before my eyes obscured my view of the speedometer.

7. Jul 11, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

A 650cc triumph motor cycle, take off via unknown humped back bridge,
    the test apparatus suffered destruction, the idiot experimenter walked
    away just.

8. Jul 11, 2005 #7
    I wanted to test if the neutral line from a power supply was safe to touch based on the fact that the voltmeter only gives out 5V.

I took out my desk lamp from its socket and touched the metal instead only to jump 4ft and give meself an electric shock.

I'm not sure whether I touched the wrong end (i.e. live) or not but I'll not be trying that experiment again.

9. Jul 11, 2005 #8
    Put a exploding firework( some kind of green flash with a very loud sound) in a aluminium can. It tore up the can into pieces.The shrapnel almost got me . Did it when i was 9.

10. Jul 11, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

mixed everything I had inthe kithen into agoey mess and then eat it...

11. Jul 11, 2005 #10
    open heart surgery on my chihuahua :devil:

seriously, it wasn't a "real" experiment. it was a math thing. i found the mass of a photon at different speeds. results: below c- very tiny imaginary mass, c-0, above c- very tiny real mass

12. Jul 11, 2005 #11
    LaChoy Mist

1 tightly Saran wapped bundle of chinese food
    +
    1 potato cannon

= a bunch of angry neighbors

13. Jul 11, 2005 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are my idol! o:)

14. Jul 11, 2005 #13
    reminds me of the KFC balloon wars we had at BBC.

15. Jul 11, 2005 #14
    well I was only 42 when I did that..I'm much more mature now :approve:

16. Jul 11, 2005 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

<snark> awesome! :rofl: :rofl:

17. Jul 11, 2005 #16
    how can you be more mature than 42? i thought you would know everything then :rofl:

18. Jul 11, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My first biology experiment:
    When I was a kid, my neighbor and I dumped everything we could find and fit into the "trunk" of her Big Wheels (the little plastic box on the back). That included stuff like sand, weeds, bugs, we gave it a good stir, then let it sit for a few days until her mom discovered it. :yuck: Her mom made us clean it, and we had to draw straws to decide who would open the lid to dump it out. Had to hold our noses to even get close to it.

19. Jul 28, 2008 #18
    When I was 11, I decided I wanted to make a stink bomb, so I got a plastic cup and mixed a whole bunch of different leaves, sticks, berries, and bugs, and a handful of mud, some Nair, and bird seed. It smelt horrible and the neighbors next door could smell it from their porch, so I had to throw it in the woods behind our house. It was seriously nasty!

20. Jul 28, 2008 #19

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Breathing in helium gives you a high pitched voice
    Argon is heavier than air so should give you a lower voice, right?
    Argon is pretty definately non-toxic, so it's safe.
    So - you should be able to breath argon and get a lower voice.

Cue a bunch of physicists and a supply of Argon....

Volunteer/idiot appeared to be in "respiratory distress"
    Someone thought it might be because Argon was too heavy and he couldn't breath it out - so he was tipped upside down and eventually recovered.

A chemist friend claims that Argon would mix so well with air that it shouldn't really have been a problem, so maybe the volunteer/idiot just panicked.

21. Jul 28, 2008 #20

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Umm, while Ar is not poisonous, would could asphyxiate oneself by breath pure Ar without air. One breath of He or Ar is not a problem, but continuous breathing without air could be fatal.

Fuel tanks are sometimes inerted with pure nitrogen. Workers have died after going into such tanks without the proper self-contained breathing apparata.

And one more thread resurrected from the past (3 years in this case).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?