Curious Minds Unite: Exploring Pointless Experiments in Our Lives

In summary, the author attempted to do a number of pointless experiments, including trying to figure out the heat of coca-cola, testing the safety of a neutral line from a power supply, and cooking Chinese food in a potato cannon.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So what kind of stupid experiments has everyone tried?

For example, i was going to (but never got around to it) try to find out the specific heat of coca-cola. I also wanted to find out if smaller ice cooled faster then larger ice. So what kinda stupid or pointless or nearly pointless experiments have you done? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
While I was on a remote assignment in Alaska, a few of my friends had an assignment in Australia. We all drunk to excess, then called each other to see if the room spun in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere than the Northern Hemisphere. The results were inconclusive either because there are other dominant forces that affect the direction the room spins or because we were too drunk to do the experiment properly.

That would involve cooking. :rofl:

I had to eat the whole thing. :yuck:

Other than that, I had a chemsitry set when I was very young. We just mixed a bunch of stuff together to make the 'next greatest invention'.

It was rather 'toxic' - but no we did not ingest it. It just killed whatever my brother and I put in it. Probably a universal bateriacide, herbicide, insecticide and rodentcide. :biggrin:

I think we eventually flushed it down the toilet.

I found with a take off speed of 70 mph i can fly about 40 ft.

wolram said:
I found with a take off speed of 70 mph i can fly about 40 ft.
In what? And with what angle of take off?

At an intersection where the side roads had a pretty steep angle (at least 30 degrees) up to the main road, a friend of mine managed to clear a two lane intersection (about 30 feet?) to beat the yellow in his family's station wagon, but the landing didn't do the muffler any good.

I wouldn't have any idea how fast he was going - my life passing before my eyes obscured my view of the speedometer.

BobG said:
In what? And with what angle of take off?

At an intersection where the side roads had a pretty steep angle (at least 30 degrees) up to the main road, a friend of mine managed to clear a two lane intersection (about 30 feet?) to beat the yellow in his family's station wagon, but the landing didn't do the muffler any good.

I wouldn't have any idea how fast he was going - my life passing before my eyes obscured my view of the speedometer.

A 650cc triumph motor cycle, take off via unknown humped back bridge,
the test apparatus suffered destruction, the idiot experimenter walked
away just.

I wanted to test if the neutral line from a power supply was safe to touch based on the fact that the voltmeter only gives out 5V.

I took out my desk lamp from its socket and touched the metal instead only to jump 4ft and give meself an electric shock.

I'm not sure whether I touched the wrong end (i.e. live) or not but I'll not be trying that experiment again.

Put a exploding firework( some kind of green flash with a very loud sound) in a aluminium can. It tore up the can into pieces.The shrapnel almost got me . Did it when i was 9.

mixed everything I had inthe kithen into agoey mess and then eat it...

open heart surgery on my chihuahua :devil:

seriously, it wasn't a "real" experiment. it was a math thing. i found the mass of a photon at different speeds. results: below c- very tiny imaginary mass, c-0, above c- very tiny real mass

LaChoy Mist

1 tightly Saran wapped bundle of chinese food
+
1 potato cannon

= a bunch of angry neighbors

hypatia said:
LaChoy Mist

1 tightly Saran wapped bundle of chinese food
+
1 potato cannon

= a bunch of angry neighbors
You are my idol! o:)

reminds me of the KFC balloon wars we had at BBC.

well I was only 42 when I did that..I'm much more mature now :approve:

hypatia said:
well I was only 42 when I did that..I'm much more mature now :approve:
<snark> awesome! :rofl: :rofl:

how can you be more mature than 42? i thought you would know everything then :rofl:

My first biology experiment:
When I was a kid, my neighbor and I dumped everything we could find and fit into the "trunk" of her Big Wheels (the little plastic box on the back). That included stuff like sand, weeds, bugs, we gave it a good stir, then let it sit for a few days until her mom discovered it. :yuck: Her mom made us clean it, and we had to draw straws to decide who would open the lid to dump it out. Had to hold our noses to even get close to it.

When I was 11, I decided I wanted to make a stink bomb, so I got a plastic cup and mixed a whole bunch of different leaves, sticks, berries, and bugs, and a handful of mud, some Nair, and bird seed. It smelt horrible and the neighbors next door could smell it from their porch, so I had to throw it in the woods behind our house. It was seriously nasty!

Breathing in helium gives you a high pitched voice
Argon is heavier than air so should give you a lower voice, right?
Argon is pretty definitely non-toxic, so it's safe.
So - you should be able to breath argon and get a lower voice.

Cue a bunch of physicists and a supply of Argon...

Volunteer/idiot appeared to be in "respiratory distress"
Someone thought it might be because Argon was too heavy and he couldn't breath it out - so he was tipped upside down and eventually recovered.

A chemist friend claims that Argon would mix so well with air that it shouldn't really have been a problem, so maybe the volunteer/idiot just panicked.

Argon is pretty definitely non-toxic, so it's safe.
Umm, while Ar is not poisonous, would could asphyxiate oneself by breath pure Ar without air. One breath of He or Ar is not a problem, but continuous breathing without air could be fatal.

Fuel tanks are sometimes inerted with pure nitrogen. Workers have died after going into such tanks without the proper self-contained breathing apparata.

And one more thread resurrected from the past (3 years in this case).

Back in the 80's GM catalytic converters were filled with small pellets coated with the catalyst. I had heard from a friend that the pellets would eventually break into small pieces and clog the converter.

My older car was due for an emissions test so I thought I would take some action. I removed the converter and flushed it out with the garden hose. Some small junk did flush out.

I put the converter back on the car and expected to see a lot of steam when the converter got hot.

But when I revved up the engine what I saw amazed me. It created a whiteout that engulfed the entire neighborhood. After about fifteen minutes everything was back to normal.

yourdadonapogostick said:
how can you be more mature than 42? i thought you would know everything then :rofl:
This reminds me of a saying. A child thinks that 50 cents or 50 years could scarce ever be spent.

I once visited the site where a battle had occurred. There I found an empty anti-aircraft shell casing with the cap still intact along with a bullet. I stuffed the bullet into the shell casing along with some tissue paper to seal it and put the contraption on a frying pan and heated it on the stove. It worked.

I was 10, I went to my grandparent's place.
While playing with their old tractor, I accidentally
released the brakes(or something) and it started
moving slowly downhill.

I managed to stop it without much damage
but I almost killed two kids :uhh:.

Last edited:
I took a spare turbocharger that was laying around and hooked up the turbine side to my flowbench which was powered by eight vacuum motors. I got the compressor to push four lb/in² by drawing a vacuum on the turbo.

One time while camping, a few friends and myself felt like getting a little dangerous and decided to throw an airbag from a car into a campfire. It did what we expected!

A chemist friend claims that Argon would mix so well with air that it shouldn't really have been a problem, so maybe the volunteer/idiot just panicked.

Lol I believe it. My brother was play tag with us and slipped on a playing card on the ground and started over-reacting cause he thought he leg was broken, so for three weeks he had to keep his leg propped up because if you barely touched it, he'd freak out and that would in turn tell his brain that he was seriously injured, so his leg would swell because it was told it was seriously injured by the brain. Pretty weird how that happens ^_^

I tried to get a drink by melting a frozen 2 liter bottle of soda with MAPP gas and a torch. Most of you know the results.

Delicious results?

If by delicious results you mean lower property values and risk to life, love and happiness then yes

Welcome back, tribdog! Yes, the MAPP torch and soda bottle story is still a GD classic, told around the campfire to scare little children. :biggrin:

mgb_phys said:

If I recall correctly SF6 is even better for that, but heavy gases have tenedency to settle down in such circumstances. Putting volounteer on the head was the right thing to do.

There are videos of people speaking in low pitch after inhaling SF6 on the web.

Stupid experiments... like brominating myself and my friend in a closed school lab? We were preparing to chemistry olympiad and procedure wasn't clear, so we pour concentrated hydrochloric acid over solid KBrO3, we should have add water first.

In general I am pyromaniac and at some point as a kid I was doing pirotechnic experiments; it is a miracle I have both eyes and ten fingers yet, after one of my firecrackers exploded in my hand. I had numb fingers for several hours and many small holes in the burned out in my jumper.

For a stink bomb I put an egg in small jar onto heater in my room. It worked, although too early and not outside, but inside of the room. Jar was not sealed well enogh.

There were more, like setting my room on fire when playing with a candle, I was about 7 then... Nothing to be proud off :smile:

oh where oh where to start?

I made nitrogentriiodide (touch powder) in a chem class when I was about 12 or so. My friend and I wanted to take some home with us (it's such cool stuff!). I put some in my plastic pencil case and he put some in a pile on a polystyrene plate. It was wet and safe at the time of storage. On the way home my friend was holding his little tray of touch powder when we noticed that it had started to dry. We watched as a little clump rolled off the top of the pile and down the slope of the explosive cone. Needless to say, WHAMMO! My dad almost drove off the highway and the explosion resulted in non-activated (still wet) powder going everywhere and brownish/yellow spots all over the cars interior. Everytime we moved around, little pieces would explode giving that static shock sound. Luckily, my dad is a physicist and had his fair share of chem experiments go awry, so he wasn't too PO. Almost all of my stored powder dried and detonated inside my pencil box, and all my stationery was a brownish colour after that.

In terms of stupid experiments here is one, but I was just a kid, around 7 to 9, I guess.

I loved Macguyver, so I decided to blow the door off my bedroom and "bust out of my domestic prison." So, I got some plasticine (coloured putty that kids play with), which I figured was what he used (plastic explosives, putty... how's an 8 year old going to know the difference?) and stuck it all in the door hinges. Then I attached some wires. Each wire to a 1.5v battery and... nothing happened. I was of the presence of mind to increase the voltage, so I closed my eyes tight and connected the wires to a 9v battery. No result. I got bored, as kids do and went to go do something else. Only remembered about it when my mom got PO because there were multi-coloured stains all over the white door and door frame and very sticky putty wedged into the door hinges. In a way I'm actually pretty glad it didn't work :wink:

We (age 13+) found that if you fill something with lighter gas and then light it, you get a cool flame thing happening. First we would put the lighter to our closed fist, to store the gas in our hand and then simultaneously open our hand and light the gas. It kind of gave you a flame in you hand for a fraction of a second, but it was cool for impressing girls :wink: Then we started to think bigger scale. Where oh where could we stored more gas on our person? How about in your mouth? So one of my friends holds the lighter to his lips and fills his mouth with gas (stupid, stupid, stupid) and then simultaneously opens his mouth and lights the gas... burned eyebrows and a bruised ego put that one to rest for a while.

we (age 15 or so) often covered our hands in spray on deodorant and then lit them. Then sort of shake them around like a retard to try and put the flames out. It would usually last just long enough to get hot and make you really nervous, but not long enough to do any permanent damage... usually. As I am now older and wiser (older is inevitable, wiser... maybe not), I don't do that sort of thing anymore, or at least I stand next to a swimming pool if I do :wink:

A potatocannon? lol. Do you got any good schematics I could look at? ^^

<h2>1. What is "Curious Minds Unite" about?</h2><p>"Curious Minds Unite" is a book that explores the concept of conducting pointless experiments in our daily lives. It encourages readers to embrace their curiosity and try out new things, even if they may seem meaningless or silly at first.</p><h2>2. Who is the target audience for this book?</h2><p>The target audience for "Curious Minds Unite" is anyone who is curious and open-minded. It is especially relevant for those who are interested in science, experimentation, and personal growth.</p><h2>3. How can this book benefit readers?</h2><p>This book can benefit readers by promoting a sense of curiosity and exploration in their lives. It can also help them develop critical thinking skills and inspire them to try new things and question the world around them.</p><h2>4. Are there any real-life examples or experiments included in the book?</h2><p>Yes, "Curious Minds Unite" includes numerous real-life examples and experiments that the author has personally conducted or observed. These examples serve to illustrate the concepts and ideas presented in the book.</p><h2>5. Is this book suitable for all ages?</h2><p>While the concepts and ideas presented in "Curious Minds Unite" can be understood by readers of all ages, it is primarily geared towards adults and older teenagers. Some experiments may require adult supervision, and the language and concepts may be more complex for younger readers.</p>

1. What is "Curious Minds Unite" about?

"Curious Minds Unite" is a book that explores the concept of conducting pointless experiments in our daily lives. It encourages readers to embrace their curiosity and try out new things, even if they may seem meaningless or silly at first.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for "Curious Minds Unite" is anyone who is curious and open-minded. It is especially relevant for those who are interested in science, experimentation, and personal growth.

3. How can this book benefit readers?

This book can benefit readers by promoting a sense of curiosity and exploration in their lives. It can also help them develop critical thinking skills and inspire them to try new things and question the world around them.

4. Are there any real-life examples or experiments included in the book?

Yes, "Curious Minds Unite" includes numerous real-life examples and experiments that the author has personally conducted or observed. These examples serve to illustrate the concepts and ideas presented in the book.

5. Is this book suitable for all ages?

While the concepts and ideas presented in "Curious Minds Unite" can be understood by readers of all ages, it is primarily geared towards adults and older teenagers. Some experiments may require adult supervision, and the language and concepts may be more complex for younger readers.