Stupid hollywood and previews

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: This is one of the reasons I like to watch movies that I have not seen previews for or heard anything about.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Stupid hollywood and previews!

Ugh, I just got back from seeing Wolverine and i swear, I'm so sick of previews showing every good scene in the movie. It also seems like a full 1/2 of the good scenes in previews occur in the first few minutes of every movie! It's like the beginning of movies are tailored simply to give content for previews. The movie itself was a disappointment... but incase anyone is going ot see it, i'll keep my opinions to myself :P

Anyone else feel the same way?

Physics news on Phys.org

I remember the trailer for Double Jeopardy. How kind for the studio to let us in on the entire plot and twist.

This is one of the reasons I like to watch movies that I have not seen previews for or heard anything about.

I just watched War Inc the other day and it was Awesome! I had no idea what to expect.

You much a comic book geek Pengwuino? Some of the recent comic book movies have not done so well because they were tailored more for comic book geeks. I haven't seen the Wolverine movie but was hoping to eventually.

TheStatutoryApe said:
This is one of the reasons I like to watch movies that I have not seen previews for or heard anything about.

I just watched War Inc the other day and it was Awesome! I had no idea what to expect.

You much a comic book geek Pengwuino? Some of the recent comic book movies have not done so well because they were tailored more for comic book geeks. I haven't seen the Wolverine movie but was hoping to eventually.

Heh that can backfire sometimes. I watched Descent on PPV not knowing it was a horror movie. Scared the poop out of me :eek:

Two things:

1) If not for the previews before Wolverine, I would have not known about the movie "Funny People" coming out. I really can't wait until that movie comes out.

2) Wolverine wasn't that bad, but I wasn't expecting a masterpiece. If you go in expecting some cheap thrills and don't take it too seriously, the movie is fine.

TheStatutoryApe said:

I"ve been trying to avoid previews but for one, they're everywhere, and two, if you go to a movie of the same genre, you're bound to see a preview for it if its the same studio! I've also never red a comic in my entire life but my friends who are those kinda geeks have had mixed feelings on the last few comic book movies. They thought Ironman was the greatest thing since sliced bread but Wolverine wasn't very good at all. They were disappointed in Watchmen too.

How can you not have read a comic book in your life? Although you did say you haven't "red" a comic book in your entire life, so that leads to my next question. Can you read?

tribdog said:
How can you not have read a comic book in your life? Although you did say you haven't "red" a comic book in your entire life, so that leads to my next question. Can you read?

Yes... and I'm not a geek.

Pengwuino said:
Yes... and I'm not a geek.

You can lie to your friends, but don't lie to me. You are such a geek.

That's one nice thing about mathematics, the 'plot' is so difficult to follow that even if you try to give away the punchline in advance the audience will audience will usually not understand it until they see the rest of the 'movie'!

This is not always true, of course. I have heard that when Andrew Wiles gave his first public lecture on the proof to Fermat's last theorem he played it cool so that it only gradually became apparent to the mathematicians in the room what they were witnessing. Needless to say, the punchline to that lecture hits a tad harder than those found in typical Hollywood movies!

Last edited:

That bugs me about movie previews too. There have been a few movies I thought were ruined by the previews. When they put different previews on every talk show, by the time you see the movie, you realize you've seen all the interesting parts in 30 second clips.

1. What is the purpose of movie previews?

Movie previews are short promotional videos or clips that are shown before a movie to give audiences a glimpse of what to expect from the upcoming film. They serve as a marketing tool to generate interest and anticipation for the movie.

2. Are movie previews accurate representations of the film?

Movie previews are often edited and include the most exciting or visually appealing scenes from the movie, which may not accurately represent the overall tone or plot. Therefore, they should be taken with a grain of salt and not be considered a definitive representation of the film.

3. How do movie studios decide what scenes to include in previews?

Movie studios typically choose scenes that will grab the attention of audiences and entice them to watch the film. They may also include scenes that showcase the star power of the actors or highlight special effects to build excitement for the movie.

4. Can movie previews spoil the plot of a film?

Movie previews may reveal certain plot points or twists in order to pique the interest of audiences. However, movie studios try to avoid major spoilers in previews in order to preserve the viewing experience for audiences.

5. How can movie previews impact the success of a film?

Movie previews play a significant role in generating buzz and attracting audiences to a film. If a preview is well-made and creates a lot of excitement, it can greatly contribute to the success of a movie. However, if a preview fails to captivate audiences, it may negatively impact the film's box office performance.