New Hygiene Head Orders Staff to Wash Bearings

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head
In summary, the new hygiene head has ordered her staff to wash bearings, which will likely result in parts being damaged.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
We have a new hygiene head and she has just ordered her staff to wash bearings.
omg, i have told her bearings need grease and i thought she understood but no, i re greased them and hygiene washed them again, well i am Holiday from tonight so i will leave a note in the book (expect machine to seize about mid day) hygiene have washed the grease away.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
omg, i have told her bearings need grease and i thought she understood but no, i re greased them and hygiene washed them again, well i am Holiday from tonight so i will leave a note in the book (expect machine to seize about mid day) hygiene have washed the grease away.

:rofl: Sorry, I know it's not really funny, but I can't help but laugh. Do you get paid extra if you get called in on the weekend to fix a seized up machine? You might want to go ahead and put in an order for whatever parts will be damaged when they wash off all the grease again so it won't take too long to get things up and running again. What an idiot! I hope this is someone who can be fired quickly when everything seizes up and production stops.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Sorry, I know it's not really funny, but I can't help but laugh. Do you get paid extra if you get called in on the weekend to fix a seized up machine? You might want to go ahead and put in an order for whatever parts will be damaged when they wash off all the grease again so it won't take too long to get things up and running again. What an idiot! I hope this is someone who can be fired quickly when everything seizes up and production stops.

I have just made out a parts list for parts i know will be damaged, i shudder to think what will happen if it stops at certain points crash bang.she is so history, i have it all written down.

wolram said:
Wash bearings? :uhh:

Oh people like that are just great aren't they. We had a new safety coordinator at the job I worked this summer and she would do things like that. Have us hook up a piece of equipment so she could see how safely we worked around the PTO, I never quite understood how she was a good judge of that seeing as until that day she didn't know what the PTO was and had never hooked anything up in her life. She also told us the chemical suits we used for spraying insecticides sure looked hot and she hoped they were at least breathable, that made my day.

I don't understand how she could not know bearings + no grease = BAD. I swear people who get titles like safety coordinator or hygiene head are the people who have failed at everything else in life :P

Evo said:
Wash bearings? :uhh:

Yep, she had her head in every nook and cranny, i also told her we use food safe grease.

Does she think people are going to eat the bearings?

scorpa said:
She also told us the chemical suits we used for spraying insecticides sure looked hot and she hoped they were at least breathable, that made my day.
:rofl: That's REALLY bad! Any chance she's moved to Britain and is now working in a cake factory?

I swear people who get titles like safety coordinator or hygiene head are the people who have failed at everything else in life :P

I think you might be right there. It certainly seems to require leaving behind all common sense.

Wollie, maybe you should consider telling the hygiene person that all the grease is purchased sterile and only applied with gloves on, so is completely safe to be where it is? I'd be torn between just letting her keep cleaning it off until catastrophe so you can get her fired faster and finding ways to save yourself the trouble of having to fix everything that's going to break.

scorpa said:
Oh people like that are just great aren't they. We had a new safety coordinator at the job I worked this summer and she would do things like that. Have us hook up a piece of equipment so she could see how safely we worked around the PTO, I never quite understood how she was a good judge of that seeing as until that day she didn't know what the PTO was and had never hooked anything up in her life. She also told us the chemical suits we used for spraying insecticides sure looked hot and she hoped they were at least breathable, that made my day.

I don't understand how she could not know bearings + no grease = BAD. I swear people who get titles like safety coordinator or hygiene head are the people who have failed at everything else in life :P

Usually i would out rank her with all things mechanical, but as it is the week end i can not get hold of my boss and she is just so annal.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: That's REALLY bad! Any chance she's moved to Britain and is now working in a cake factory?

I think I just sat there and stared blankly at her for a few minutes before I realized that she really did just say that. I could not believe it. You would think common sense would tell you a chemical suit should probably not be breathable but I guess not

Moonbear said:
Wollie, maybe you should consider telling the hygiene person that all the grease is purchased sterile and only applied with gloves on, so is completely safe to be where it is? I'd be torn between just letting her keep cleaning it off until catastrophe so you can get her fired faster and finding ways to save yourself the trouble of having to fix everything that's going to break.

I will give it one more try, the trouble is she has all these swabs and paper work if any thing shows a certain color it seems she is authorized to clean it.

She's probably just trying hard to impress people in her new role. Maybe after a little while she will get lazy like most people and stop trying so hard and let things like darn nasty greasy bearings slide...well if she doesn't get fired for causing the place to fly to pieces first that is. She really should learn to listen to people who know more than she does though.

Fighting the urge to put a "Danger" comment in at this point...Must...fight it...must...

hypatia said:
Fighting the urge to put a "Danger" comment in at this point...Must...fight it...must...

:rofl:

There are a lot of baffling safety regulations. Did you know that syringes are sharps? No, not ones with needles attached, but just the syringe. I'm still looking for the sharp part. I could understand classifying them as medical waste, even if used for nothing but sucking up water, since you can't tell that by looking at them, but sharp? And, we have someone who seems to have nothing better to do than go around putting up notes over the sharps containers that they are for syringes only, no needles. :uhh: Needless to say, we ignore it. If she makes a bigger fuss of it, I'll drag in someone higher up to explain that detaching a used needle from a used syringe is more of a safety hazard than putting both together into the same waste container that you're not supposed to be reaching your hands into anyway.

We just Hazmat everything anymore, from slides to gowns. It all gets sealed in 50 gallon blue drums, then men in gray suits {I call them the Hazmat fairys} wisk them away when no one is looking.

Grrrrr, what a B----, she just walked out on me, the last one like her was getting tuped by one of directors.

wolram said:
Grrrrr, what a B----, she just walked out on me, the last one like her was getting tuped by one of directors.
Ask her to produce a manual that shows that bearings do not need to be greased.

hypatia said:
We just Hazmat everything anymore, from slides to gowns. It all gets sealed in 50 gallon blue drums, then men in gray suits {I call them the Hazmat fairys} wisk them away when no one is looking.

I wish it was so easy here. We have to separate everything, sharps, biohazard, chemical waste, and various combinations of each. If it didn't cost so much more, I'd be tempted to call it all mixed biohazardous sharp chemical waste, especially when the names seem arbitrary anyway. Drives me bonkers that I have to dispose of plastic serological pipets as biohazardous sharps when I've only used them to pipet STERILE WATER! The soda straws in the cafeteria trash are more hazardous.

Evo said:

Ooh, you're good at this. You've done this before, haven't you? :approve:

Evo said:

She has gone, left the building, she would not even leave me a copy of her paper work, i will send my boss an e mail but he won't read it till monday.

What the hell are you greasing bearings for? Hey, just let it happen, if she's responsible, and you gave her fair warning, sit back, relax, and watch the dumb $%&* get fired.

binzing said:
What the hell are you greasing bearings for? Hey, just let it happen, if she's responsible, and you gave her fair warning, sit back, relax, and watch the dumb $%&* get fired.

When she left i nearly went and re greased them but she has me crossed up now, if my guess is right they will loose half a days production tomorrow, may be lot more if non stocked parts are damaged.

wolram said:
When she left i nearly went and re greased them but she has me crossed up now, if my guess is right they will loose half a days production tomorrow, may be lot more if non stocked parts are damaged.

Just keep your fingers crossed that the damage can be fixed by the weekend crew so you don't have to deal with it on Monday.

Moonbear said:
Just keep your fingers crossed that the damage can be fixed by the weekend crew so you don't have to deal with it on Monday.

The longest one of these machines has been down is 10 hours, that was when a cleaner illegally opened a guard door and rigged it then managed to stick a broom in the main chain drive of the slat conveyor, the chain came off and did untold damage, that was when my new boss had just started, he asked me if i could fix it before production started. ROFL.

Maybe you should just add some food colouring to the grease and tell the ***** that you've started to lube your bearings with icing.

Well, if you can't be at fault and you've done what you felt best, as well as informing her of your opinion, let her take the fall when the sh!t flies.

We had someone decide that large illumninated LASER signs had to be fitted to the darkroom doors - on BOTH sides, inside the DARKROOM as well as the corridor!

mgb_phys said:
We had someone decide that large illumninated LASER signs had to be fitted to the darkroom doors - on BOTH sides, inside the DARKROOM as well as the corridor!
LOL.

Any panic already, Wolram?

wolram said:
She has gone, left the building, she would not even leave me a copy of her paper work, i will send my boss an e mail but he won't read it till monday.
I was going to suggest CYA and get her orders in writing. Aren't those sealed bearings?

I have heard of contamination issues from bearing lubricant ending up in production where it shouldn't be - but that was in another industry. But I imagine the lubricant one uses is compatible with food production.

Andre said:
Any panic already, Wolram?

I am not answering the phone, may be i will call them Monday.

wolram said:
I am not answering the phone, may be i will call them Monday.

Treat em mean, keep them keen, eh?

Astronuc said:
I was going to suggest CYA and get her orders in writing. Aren't those sealed bearings?

I have heard of contamination issues from bearing lubricant ending up in production where it shouldn't be - but that was in another industry. But I imagine the lubricant one uses is compatible with food production.

They are this type Astro

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Bearing_Take_Up_Units-1330-c

And yes we use food safe grease.

Isn't it fun when someone with NO mechanical aptitude starts ordering people around? When I was the lead operator on a new paper machine, we started up the machine and couldn't get the sheet to form properly. There was a chemical retention aid that was supposed to help keep the calcium carbonate (brightness additive) and titanium dioxide (opacity additive) in the sheet with the pulp fibers, and we weren't getting any. An engineer took it upon himself to start tracing the retention aid supply line, instead of letting the coatings and additives crew do their job. He found a block valve that was closed and instead of coordinating with me (as the C&A crew would have done) so that we could get the retention aid automatic valve out of auto-demand mode and bleed in the retention aid slowly, he simply opened the valve wide open. In less than a second, the fourdriniere wire went from over 30 mph to a complete halt tearing it to pieces (over $100,000 gone!) and the top former wire was destroyed as well (over $60,000). Clean-up was very long and expensive, and replacing the wires even with an orderly shutdown could take nearly an entire shift. These "wires" were actually once woven from bronze wire, but ours were woven from fine extruded plastic fibers. Oops!

Wow $160,000 that's half way to buying one of our machines.

<h2>1. What are "New Hygiene Head Orders"?</h2><p>"New Hygiene Head Orders" refers to a set of guidelines or instructions issued by a hygiene head or supervisor regarding the proper cleaning and maintenance of bearings.</p><h2>2. Why is it important to wash bearings?</h2><p>Washing bearings is important because it helps to remove dirt, debris, and other contaminants that can cause damage to the bearings. It also helps to maintain the smooth functioning and longevity of the bearings.</p><h2>3. Who is responsible for washing bearings?</h2><p>The staff or employees who are in charge of using or maintaining the equipment that contains bearings are responsible for washing them. This can include machine operators, maintenance technicians, or other designated personnel.</p><h2>4. How often should bearings be washed?</h2><p>The frequency of washing bearings can vary depending on the type of equipment and the environment in which it is used. In general, bearings should be washed regularly, especially after heavy use or exposure to harsh conditions.</p><h2>5. What is the best method for washing bearings?</h2><p>The best method for washing bearings will depend on the specific type of bearing and the equipment it is used in. In most cases, a combination of mechanical and chemical cleaning methods is recommended. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use appropriate cleaning agents to avoid damaging the bearings.</p>

1. What are "New Hygiene Head Orders"?

"New Hygiene Head Orders" refers to a set of guidelines or instructions issued by a hygiene head or supervisor regarding the proper cleaning and maintenance of bearings.

2. Why is it important to wash bearings?

Washing bearings is important because it helps to remove dirt, debris, and other contaminants that can cause damage to the bearings. It also helps to maintain the smooth functioning and longevity of the bearings.

3. Who is responsible for washing bearings?

The staff or employees who are in charge of using or maintaining the equipment that contains bearings are responsible for washing them. This can include machine operators, maintenance technicians, or other designated personnel.

4. How often should bearings be washed?

The frequency of washing bearings can vary depending on the type of equipment and the environment in which it is used. In general, bearings should be washed regularly, especially after heavy use or exposure to harsh conditions.

5. What is the best method for washing bearings?

The best method for washing bearings will depend on the specific type of bearing and the equipment it is used in. In most cases, a combination of mechanical and chemical cleaning methods is recommended. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use appropriate cleaning agents to avoid damaging the bearings.