Are Teenage Males Really Charged More for Car Insurance Than Females?

In summary, the young person is struggling to afford car insurance and has little hope for the future. They lost their car and have no way to get to college. Their parents are paying for their insurance but will not let the young person pay for it themselves. The young person also has a student discount which lowers their insurance rates, but they are still struggling to pay.
QuantumTheory
Well I'm 17, and my car insurance billf or full coverage is around 260 dollars a month. I cannot afford this. I have no job, and my parents are paying for my car insurance now, they said that if I get a job I could pay for it, but they will not let me do it since it is so expensive (its ridiculous). Now my 2003 hondai (however you spell it) car is gone. My parents took off the insurance.

Now I have no car, and no way to get to college, and a car that I would've got for free, I have to spend thousands of dollars on a car. Also, my parents don't have a college fund for me, so I also have to pay a few million dollars to be an airline pilot or a doctor.

Also, most of all, I even have a student discount. It would normally bel ike 300 bucks, crazy!

And most important, they charge males a HUGE premium because they think males are more agreesive drivers than females! What a load of CRAP! This is lunacris! I drive more cautiously than ANY female, any teenager would do. When I do actually drive, I am extremely, extremely careful. I also don't drive muc, since I'm afraid I will get in an accident.

Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumTheory said:
And most important, they charge males a HUGE premium because they think males are more agreesive drivers than females! What a load of CRAP! This is lunacris! I drive more cautiously than ANY female, any teenager would do. When I do actually drive, I am extremely, extremely careful. I also don't drive muc, since I'm afraid I will get in an accident.

Me too, I've been driving since I was 17, and been stung with plenty of ridiculous premiums.

The fact is, we're in the highest risk demographic. It's a bugger, because I'm careful and sensible, have been driving 15,000 miles a year for the past 4 years, and haven't had an accident. However, many of my contemporaries who are indistinguishable on paper do drive like twats, have accidents, and cause claims to be paid. We're paying for their stupidity. It's turd, but it's life.

Just deal with it, keep driving sensibly, don't have any accidents, and look forward to when you're 25 with full no-claims bonus and it drops by a load.

Fact of life man. Just get good grades. A lot of insurance companies will give discounts for students w/ good grades. Also take defensive driving class. IT IS WORTH IT. Insurance companies usually give a discount for that too. You also get "negative points" for taking defensive driving, so if you are pulled over for speed or running a red light etc. the negative points will cancel the points that would have gotten added to your record which means your insurance rates won't go up (run on sentence i know). Also buy a car with 4 doors (less insurance) and one that isn't on the list of top 10 most stolen vehicles.

1. Why do insurance companies deny coverage for certain medical treatments or procedures?

Insurance companies deny coverage for treatments or procedures that they deem to be experimental or not medically necessary. They also have strict guidelines and protocols for determining coverage based on medical evidence and cost-effectiveness.

2. How do insurance companies determine the cost of premiums?

The cost of insurance premiums is determined by a variety of factors, including the type of coverage, the individual's age and health status, and the risk associated with insuring that person. Insurance companies also consider the cost of providing coverage, administrative fees, and profit margins when setting premiums.

3. Why do insurance companies have different coverage plans and options?

Insurance companies offer different coverage plans and options to meet the diverse needs and budgets of their customers. These plans may vary in terms of deductibles, copayments, and covered services. Insurance companies also use different pricing strategies to remain competitive in the market.

4. How do insurance companies make a profit?

Insurance companies make a profit by collecting premiums from their customers and investing those funds to generate returns. They also use actuarial analysis to accurately predict the risk and cost of providing coverage and adjust premiums accordingly. Additionally, insurance companies may charge administrative fees and earn profits from other financial services.

5. What can I do if I feel that my insurance company is not treating me fairly?

If you feel that your insurance company is not treating you fairly, you can file a complaint with your state's insurance department. You can also contact an attorney who specializes in insurance law for advice and representation. It is important to carefully review your insurance policy and understand your rights as a policyholder.