Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid iPod!

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1

I have an iPod classic, the thing has jammed on me for the past hour now! It just has jammed on a screen showing the song, does anyone know what to do? I've played with the 'hold' switch and I have also hit it a bit! I can't think of anything to fix it!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2
    I just recently found out that these things can freeze, which seems like what yours has done. I think I heard the trick is to simultaneously hold down the two horizontal buttons on the click wheel. I don't know what they are but yeah, I think thats the trick, otherwise just try turning it on and then off again.
  4. Mar 15, 2008 #3
    How do you turn it on and off again? It doesn't have on and off buttons?!
  5. Mar 15, 2008 #4
    Nope, iPods don't have on/off buttons. Go to the Apple website and go through troubleshooting. I had this same problem (except mine was stuck on sleep mode), and the advice they gave fixed it.
  6. Mar 15, 2008 #5

Science Advisor

They all have a reset/reboot key sequence. On mine, it is to switch the key lock back and forth once then hold the menu button and down button at the same time for 6 or so seconds.
  7. Mar 15, 2008 #6
    Legend! Thanks! I thought I broke it, and I have a 10 hour flight on Monday...I don't know what I would have done!

Thank you both for your time!

8. Mar 15, 2008 #7
    Yeah, I think Fred's sequence may have been the one I was thinking of. Also. Mac troubleshooting should work. They seem to test everything to the full extent.
  9. Mar 15, 2008 #8
    Ocassionaly, my Ipod Video has frooze. I finally searched online for that key sequence. I feel your pain if you dont know the special buttons to press. Its a pain in the ass, NOTHING happens unless you press a specific set of keys. You cant even turn it off holding down the power button.
  10. Mar 15, 2008 #9
    I wish there was an on and off button! Though it may make the thing look ugly, iPod are the hottest things on the market!
  11. Mar 15, 2008 #10
    I think I should have said froze, not frooze. I agree, the Ipod is damn nice. I want an Iphone, after a few generations. I want it to be smaller and better. Its like the first Ipod, compared to the one now its huge. So, imagine the Iphone in 3-4 years. Its going to be amazing.

It does have an off button, you just hold down the >|| key. The reason you have to do this is probably because it has a hard drive, and you dont want to just 'shut it off' instantly.
  12. Mar 15, 2008 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wish they had a proper on and off button too. I get annoyed when I find the battery nearly dead on mine because it turned itself on when I bumped it hunting through my bag for something else. They are FAR too easy to turn on, and FAR too hard to turn back off. No reason that I know of why they couldn't put on another little slider like the lock switch as an on/off button.

I'm glad you got it fixed...gosh, I hope mine doesn't do that. Fred's instructions sound to me like "pat your head while rubbing your tummy and hopping up and down on your left foot" type instructions! How would you remember that?! Maybe I should write it on a cheat sheet and tape it to the back of my iPod in case it happens.

Would it reset if the battery ran down and it automatically turned off? You'd have to turn it back on when you recharge it...or would it really be stuck then? It's not like you could even pop the battery out and back in again (I sometimes have to do that on my cell phone, the piece of crap that it is...drives me nuts!)
  13. Mar 17, 2008 #12
    Yeah, I miss the on off buttons. Its not as bad as when the first Macintosh's came out though. I couldn't ever get the floppy disk out of the stupid thing. Apple must have a shortage on buttons.
  14. Mar 17, 2008 #13

Staff: Mentor

No off button? That's assinine. I have no desire to use one. Actually I think I have 2 at my place that belong to the Evo Child.
  15. Mar 17, 2008 #14
    It does have a lock button. Its the botton on the top that when you slide, shows orange. Ipod batteries are not accessable. You would have to take it appart to do that, and void your warranty.
  16. Mar 17, 2008 #15
    You can't beat an ipod for coolness factor, but I've had some cheaper mp3 players that had features I liked much better. For example, I used to be able to drag and drop mp3s into my old player and I would be able to play them. The ipod won't play anything that wasn't put there through itunes. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but I've got almost 20,000 mp3s and a lot of them are audiobooks. I've got the books separated into their own folders, so it is easier to just drop a folder into the player than to go into itunes and search for the individual files and put a check mark next to the ones I want.
  17. Mar 17, 2008 #16
    They actually sell battery replacement kits. Its not too hard to do it, and much cheaper that way.
  18. Mar 17, 2008 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I still don't have an iPod. And I was one of the first to run out and get an iMac. I keep thinking "just one more year, and they will be smaller-better-cooler. And I'm always correct. I fondled a new touch-screen iPod a few weeks ago and came so close to buying it.

Instead, I just bought a brand new Mac Book, with a cordless mouse, and Airport extreme. Six of one...
  19. Mar 17, 2008 #18
    You should have bought the macbook air.

20. Mar 17, 2008 #19

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alas, if I had an extra thou.
  21. Mar 17, 2008 #20
    The mac air is simply AMAZING.. this is star trek stuff.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?