My iPod Classic is Jammed Help?

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
In summary, a user was seeking help with their frozen iPod classic. They were advised to simultaneously hold down the two horizontal buttons on the click wheel or to switch the key lock back and forth before holding the menu and down button for a few seconds. Another user suggested going to the Apple website for troubleshooting. The lack of an on/off button on iPods was discussed, with some users wishing for one and others not minding its absence. There was also mention of the future potential of the iPhone.
_Mayday_
Hey,

I have an iPod classic, the thing has jammed on me for the past hour now! It just has jammed on a screen showing the song, does anyone know what to do? I've played with the 'hold' switch and I have also hit it a bit! I can't think of anything to fix it!

_Mayday_

Physics news on Phys.org
I just recently found out that these things can freeze, which seems like what yours has done. I think I heard the trick is to simultaneously hold down the two horizontal buttons on the click wheel. I don't know what they are but yeah, I think that's the trick, otherwise just try turning it on and then off again.

binzing said:
I just recently found out that these things can freeze, which seems like what yours has done. I think I heard the trick is to simultaneously hold down the two horizontal buttons on the click wheel. I don't know what they are but yeah, I think that's the trick, otherwise just try turning it on and then off again.

How do you turn it on and off again? It doesn't have on and off buttons?!

Nope, iPods don't have on/off buttons. Go to the Apple website and go through troubleshooting. I had this same problem (except mine was stuck on sleep mode), and the advice they gave fixed it.

They all have a reset/reboot key sequence. On mine, it is to switch the key lock back and forth once then hold the menu button and down button at the same time for 6 or so seconds.

FredGarvin said:
They all have a reset/reboot key sequence. On mine, it is to switch the key lock back and forth once then hold the menu button and down button at the same time for 6 or so seconds.

Legend! Thanks! I thought I broke it, and I have a 10 hour flight on Monday...I don't know what I would have done!

Thank you both for your time!

_Mayday_

:smile:

Yeah, I think Fred's sequence may have been the one I was thinking of. Also. Mac troubleshooting should work. They seem to test everything to the full extent.

Ocassionaly, my Ipod Video has frooze. I finally searched online for that key sequence. I feel your pain if you don't know the special buttons to press. Its a pain in the ass, NOTHING happens unless you press a specific set of keys. You can't even turn it off holding down the power button.

Cyrus said:
Ocassionaly, my Ipod Video has frooze. I finally searched online for that key sequence. I feel your pain if you don't know the special buttons to press. Its a pain in the ass, NOTHING happens unless you press a specific set of keys. You can't even turn it off holding down the power button.

I wish there was an on and off button! Though it may make the thing look ugly, iPod are the hottest things on the market!

I think I should have said froze, not frooze. I agree, the Ipod is damn nice. I want an Iphone, after a few generations. I want it to be smaller and better. Its like the first Ipod, compared to the one now its huge. So, imagine the Iphone in 3-4 years. Its going to be amazing.

It does have an off button, you just hold down the >|| key. The reason you have to do this is probably because it has a hard drive, and you don't want to just 'shut it off' instantly.

I wish they had a proper on and off button too. I get annoyed when I find the battery nearly dead on mine because it turned itself on when I bumped it hunting through my bag for something else. They are FAR too easy to turn on, and FAR too hard to turn back off. No reason that I know of why they couldn't put on another little slider like the lock switch as an on/off button.

I'm glad you got it fixed...gosh, I hope mine doesn't do that. Fred's instructions sound to me like "pat your head while rubbing your tummy and hopping up and down on your left foot" type instructions! How would you remember that?! Maybe I should write it on a cheat sheet and tape it to the back of my iPod in case it happens.

Would it reset if the battery ran down and it automatically turned off? You'd have to turn it back on when you recharge it...or would it really be stuck then? It's not like you could even pop the battery out and back in again (I sometimes have to do that on my cell phone, the piece of crap that it is...drives me nuts!)

Yeah, I miss the on off buttons. Its not as bad as when the first Macintosh's came out though. I couldn't ever get the floppy disk out of the stupid thing. Apple must have a shortage on buttons.

No off button? That's assinine. I have no desire to use one. Actually I think I have 2 at my place that belong to the Evo Child.

Moonbear said:
I wish they had a proper on and off button too. I get annoyed when I find the battery nearly dead on mine because it turned itself on when I bumped it hunting through my bag for something else. They are FAR too easy to turn on, and FAR too hard to turn back off. No reason that I know of why they couldn't put on another little slider like the lock switch as an on/off button.

I'm glad you got it fixed...gosh, I hope mine doesn't do that. Fred's instructions sound to me like "pat your head while rubbing your tummy and hopping up and down on your left foot" type instructions! How would you remember that?! Maybe I should write it on a cheat sheet and tape it to the back of my iPod in case it happens.

Would it reset if the battery ran down and it automatically turned off? You'd have to turn it back on when you recharge it...or would it really be stuck then? It's not like you could even pop the battery out and back in again (I sometimes have to do that on my cell phone, the piece of crap that it is...drives me nuts!)

It does have a lock button. Its the botton on the top that when you slide, shows orange. Ipod batteries are not accessable. You would have to take it appart to do that, and void your warranty.

You can't beat an ipod for coolness factor, but I've had some cheaper mp3 players that had features I liked much better. For example, I used to be able to drag and drop mp3s into my old player and I would be able to play them. The ipod won't play anything that wasn't put there through itunes. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but I've got almost 20,000 mp3s and a lot of them are audiobooks. I've got the books separated into their own folders, so it is easier to just drop a folder into the player than to go into itunes and search for the individual files and put a check mark next to the ones I want.

They actually sell battery replacement kits. Its not too hard to do it, and much cheaper that way.

I still don't have an iPod. And I was one of the first to run out and get an iMac. I keep thinking "just one more year, and they will be smaller-better-cooler. And I'm always correct. I fondled a new touch-screen iPod a few weeks ago and came so close to buying it.

Instead, I just bought a brand new Mac Book, with a cordless mouse, and Airport extreme. Six of one...

You should have bought the macbook air.

jobsmacbookair.JPG

Cyrus said:

jobsmacbookair.JPG

Alas, if I had an extra thou.

The mac air is simply AMAZING.. this is star trek stuff.

Cyrus said:

jobsmacbookair.JPG

If you have another laptop to do the big things. Yes the Air is cool, however it is the small two seat exotic sports car of the computer world. It's great if you are out to impress people or for a Saturday drive, but if you are building the kids a tree house you still need that big truck to haul the lumber to your house.

Argentum Vulpes said:
If you have another laptop to do the big things. Yes the Air is cool, however it is the small two seat exotic sports car of the computer world. It's great if you are out to impress people or for a Saturday drive, but if you are building the kids a tree house you still need that big truck to haul the lumber to your house.

I was thinking that too, it can't be very powerful.

tribdog said:
You can't beat an ipod for coolness factor, but I've had some cheaper mp3 players that had features I liked much better. For example, I used to be able to drag and drop mp3s into my old player and I would be able to play them. The ipod won't play anything that wasn't put there through itunes. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but I've got almost 20,000 mp3s and a lot of them are audiobooks. I've got the books separated into their own folders, so it is easier to just drop a folder into the player than to go into itunes and search for the individual files and put a check mark next to the ones I want.

There are many third party solutions to this design feature (i.e. problem):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_iPod_Managers

I prefer ml_ipod, which is now part of Winamp.

- Warren

I saw the Mac air today at the store. WOWWW is it cool though! It weighs next to nothing and takes up as much space as a small stack of paper. Its really sweet! (But it does not feel so light that it will break, it has perfect mass distribution).

Argentum Vulpes said:

What a great analogy. :biggrin: I keep looking at them and thinking I'd break it in half. If I traveled A LOT, I'd probably splurge on it since it would take up so much less space packing (and I hope is lighter to go with that size). For now, when I want to travel light, I just grab the 12" Mac powerbook. I don't use it much anymore for every day use, but it's a good travel size.

Yeah, the Air uses solid state memory in the more expensive model, which is crazy.

To use a Cyrussian expression, the Air can be described as "pure sex".

binzing said:
To use a Cyrussian expression, the Air can be described as "pure sex".

I'm Cyrus, and I approve of this message.

1. How do I fix a jammed iPod Classic?

There are a few steps you can take to fix a jammed iPod Classic. First, try resetting the device by pressing and holding the menu and center buttons until the Apple logo appears. If that doesn't work, try connecting your iPod to a computer and using iTunes to restore it. If the issue persists, you may need to take your iPod to a professional for repair.

2. Why did my iPod Classic get jammed?

There are a few reasons why an iPod Classic may become jammed. One common cause is a software glitch or error, which can usually be fixed by resetting or restoring the device. Another possibility is physical damage or hardware malfunction, which may require professional repair.

3. Can I prevent my iPod Classic from getting jammed?

While there is no foolproof way to prevent a jammed iPod Classic, there are a few things you can do to reduce the risk. Regularly updating the software and avoiding rough handling of the device can help prevent software glitches. Using a protective case can also help prevent physical damage.

4. How long does it take to fix a jammed iPod Classic?

The time it takes to fix a jammed iPod Classic can vary depending on the cause and severity of the issue. If it is a simple software glitch, it may only take a few minutes to reset or restore the device. However, if there is physical damage or hardware malfunction, it may take longer and require professional repair.

5. Is it possible to retrieve my data if my iPod Classic is jammed?

If your iPod Classic is jammed, it may be possible to retrieve your data by connecting it to a computer and accessing it through iTunes. However, if the device is severely damaged or cannot be fixed, it may not be possible to retrieve your data. It is always a good idea to regularly back up your iPod's data to avoid losing important files in the event of a jam or malfunction.