Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid Markers!

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, students are supposed to write their name on the plastic name plaque using vis a vis markers. After the class, it should be a simple matter to wipe the names off with a paper towel and water.

Except that, somehow, a Sharpie from the last class is placed in the vis a vis can and one of the students writes their name on the name plaque in permanent marker. :frown: Not a problem. I simply trace over the student's name with a dry erase marker and then erase everything. Works great! Problem solved! :biggrin:

Problem 2: Instead of accidentally writing on the plastic name plaque with a permanent marker, this student writes his name with a dry erase marker. :frown:

What do you mean you can use an erasable dry erase marker to remove a permanent marker from a plastic name plaque, but there's no way to erase the erasable dry erase marker unless the student had enough foresight to accidentally write on the plastic with an unerasable Sharpie before accidentally writing on the plastic with an erasable dry erase marker?!!! :mad:

What the heck is up with that?!?!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you by any chance write the ground nuts regulations?

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I read the last paragraph three times and I still cannot make the slightest bit of sense of it!

- Warren

5. Aug 6, 2009 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you speaking of the electrically grounding the nuts that go on bolts; health codes for processing of peanuts (groundnuts); or health codes for processing of nuts, other than groundnuts, that happen to have been run through a grinder?

6. Aug 6, 2009 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's unbelievable.

A dry erase marker will remove permanent ink from a Sharpie from a plastic name plaque. You trace over the Sharpie writing and everything wipes off easily.

There's nothing that will remove a dry erase marker from a plastic name plaque (not even a Sharpie).

7. Aug 6, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can't find it on Google but there is a famous (possibly apocryphal) example of British Civil Service prose to classify peanuts as nuts for import duties, that goes something like:
    "Nuts(ground) other than ground nuts when not ground shall be considered to be nuts (ground) unless unground when .... " and goes on for several pages.

8. Aug 6, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Probably a light alcohol solvent in the dry-erase markers. I sometime mis-mark a CD or DVD with a Sharpie, and Isopropyl alcohol strips it off easily.

9. Aug 6, 2009 #8
    Same thing here, got a slight headache out of it.

And lol @ the ground nuts hahahaha.

@OP

That's pretty rediculous now I think I know what your talking about... Is it because of the material the marker was written on that it won't come off as its supposed to?

10. Aug 7, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you try a little rubbing alcohol? That'll usually clean dry erase marker. I'm still baffled that people don't have the sense to know a dry erase board shouldn't be written on with a permanent marker. Though, a plastic surface, I could understand someone thinking should be written on with a dry erase marker. Transparencies are such old "technology" that most students don't even know what a wet erase marker is.

11. Aug 7, 2009 #10
    If the class before wrote their names on the plastic plaques with a dry erase marker and it came off, why wouldn't it come off the second time?

I understand everything but the last paragraph.

12. Aug 7, 2009 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Aug 8, 2009 #12

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

50% water / 50% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle. Along with a soft rag or some paper/shop towels. For those occasions where somebody insists on using permanent markers / the really cheap dry erase markers (or just on standby if you're a particularly cynical teacher / TA).

14. Aug 8, 2009 #13
    In this day and age, when even markers are stupid, you know the United States has problems.

15. Aug 8, 2009 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just write the student's name on his/her forehead with a Sharpie. It's good for about 4-5 days of training depending on how often they shower and exfoliate.

16. Aug 8, 2009 #15

negitron

Science Advisor

I'm disappointed. I was hoping this thread was to announce a new way to label and identify morons.

17. Aug 8, 2009 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: "Heeeeere's your sign!" :biggrin:

18. Aug 10, 2009 #17
    Sweet. That'll also get half the class to drop (confirming you as a nut of a professor, whether ground or unground) and then there won't be as many student names to remember anyhow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook