Tangential Speed and Time in a Horizontal Circle Formula | Physics Problem

In summary, the Bob must have a speed of , move in a horizontal circle with the string always making an angle theta from the vertical, and have an acceleration due to gravity of .
Xerxes1986
ok this stupid program is starting to piss me off again (sry for the french)

ok the question is:

What tangential speed, , must the bob have so that it moves in a horizontal circle with the string always making an angle theta from the vertical?
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m, L, and theta, as well as the acceleration due to gravity .

and my answer...after several right answers marked wrong, was sqrt(L*sin(theta)*g*tan(theta)) and i got it right

the next question is:

How long does it take the bob to make one full revolution (one complete trip around the circle)?
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m, L, and theta, as well as the acceleration due to gravity .

easy i thought...i already knew that the radius was going to be L*sin(theta) from the previous problem and so i had the distance and the velocity...piece of cake to get time right? wrong. i entered this for time:

(6.28 *L*sin(theta))/(sqrt(L*sin(theta)*g*tan(theta)))

which basically equates to distance/velocity = time

BUT I GET IT WRONG! WTF?! i am not entering it wrong or anything...any input would be appreciated

attached is the picture for the problem if that helps

Attachments

• MLD_cm_6.jpg
    MLD_cm_6.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,349
Physics news on Phys.org
Xerxes1986 said:
i entered this for time:

(6.28 *L*sin(theta))/(sqrt(L*sin(theta)*g*tan(theta)))

which basically equates to distance/velocity = time

BUT I GET IT WRONG! WTF?! i am not entering it wrong or anything...any input would be appreciated
Perfectly correct. But it can be greatly simplified. Also, use [itex]\pi[/itex] instead of a number. (I suspect the system is looking for the simplified expression.)

figured it out

the right answer wasn't a simplified version of my answer...it was completely different

it wanted us to convert to angular velocity and then use that velocity equation and distance of 2pi to find time...both work but it only accepts the one version...i am going to rip my professor a new one tommorow during class. i freaking hate this class now. i know I am right, you agree that I am right, there isn't any error...gah! i give up shoot me now

oh and i did try entering 2 pi instead of 6.28 and it still marked it wrong

Xerxes1986 said:
the right answer wasn't a simplified version of my answer...it was completely different
I don't know what you mean. What was the "right answer"? (If it's not equivalent to your answer, then one of them is wrong.)

it wanted us to convert to angular velocity and then use that velocity equation and distance of 2pi to find time...both work but it only accepts the one version...
This doesn't make sense. Either way, the answer is the same. (Unless they want you to show your work.)
oh and i did try entering 2 pi instead of 6.28 and it still marked it wrong
Did you trying simplifying the answer before submitting it? (I would not be surprised if your answer was rejected; the simplified answer may be the one the system is looking for.)

I have encoutered another problem with MasteringPhysics just now. The display/format looks weird and different. I'm using the same computer, same settings; everything's the same. Now it's confusing and hard to read the text. Some weird fonts and images showed up. I don't know why profs are so fond of this masteringphysics thing.

My other online assignments never give me as much problems. Some times I got the answers right but just because the way the program/site perceive/interpret the answers, I got them wrong - some points deducted.

At the beginning of last semester, the Knight Physics textbooks weren't even in the bookstore. It took like a month for the books to come in and when they arrived, they didn't arrive in a sufficient number that some students had to live without for another 2 - 3 weeks.

I'm wondering how much the profs get paid to use certain company textbooks/materials as the requirements.

well this is the correct answer:

2*pi*sqrt(L*cos(theta)/g)

...how they got that i have no ****ing clue so don't ask

edit

this is what my prof just sent me:

Your error is that you did not simplify the algebra by reducing the
dependence on L.

uhhhhh...god i hate this prof

Last edited:
6.28 *L*sin(theta))/(sqrt(L*sin(theta)*g*tan(theta)))

It is obvious that this could be simplified further.

Don't blame your prof.

Xerxes1986 said:
well this is the correct answer:

2*pi*sqrt(L*cos(theta)/g)

...how they got that i have no ****ing clue so don't ask

edit

this is what my prof just sent me:

Your error is that you did not simplify the algebra by reducing the
dependence on L.

(2Pi *L*sin(theta))/(sqrt(L*sin(theta)*g*tan(theta)))

Simplify the above expression fully. Bring everything except 2Pi under the square root. Change tan(theta) to sin(theta)/cos(theta)

You should get:
2*Pi*sqrt(L*cos(theta)/g)

Just as I suspected. :wink:

1. Why does masteringphysics keep giving me the same incorrect answer?

There could be a few reasons for this. One possibility is that there is an error in the problem or in the system's answer key. Another possibility is that there is a mistake in your calculations or understanding of the concept. It's important to double check your work and reach out to your instructor or TA for clarification if needed.

2. How can I improve my scores on masteringphysics?

One way to improve your scores is to thoroughly review the material before attempting the problems. Make sure you understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. Additionally, you can try working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor or classmate.

3. Is masteringphysics necessary for my understanding of the subject?

While masteringphysics may not be the only way to learn the material, it can be a helpful tool for practicing and applying the concepts. It also provides instant feedback and can help identify areas where you may need more review. However, it is important to not rely solely on masteringphysics and to supplement your learning with other resources.

4. How can I navigate through masteringphysics more efficiently?

One tip is to read the problem carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked before attempting to solve it. You can also try using the "Help Me Solve This" feature if you are stuck on a problem. Additionally, make use of the "Practice Another Version" option to get more practice with similar problems.

5. Can I request a regrade on masteringphysics?

Yes, most masteringphysics systems allow for regrade requests. However, it is important to carefully review your work and make sure you have a valid reason for requesting a regrade. Also, be aware that not all regrade requests are granted and it is ultimately up to the instructor's discretion.