1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid Mathematics Issue

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay I've basically solved this problem... but I need some clarification.

The problem is "The acceleration of an object is given as a function of its position in feet by a=2*s^2 ft/s^2. When s=0, it's veloctiy is 1 ft/s. What is the velocity of the object when s=2 ft?

2. Relevant equations

So since a=2*s^2, we can say dv/dt=2*s^2, and dv/dt=dv/ds*ds/dt=dv/ds*v

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, since acceleration is dv/ds*v, Int(v*dv)=Int(2*s^2*ds)
    So after integration, v^2/2=2/3*s^3.

So upon solving for v, v^2=4/3*s^3, and therefore v=sqrt(4/3*s^3). With the initial condition when s=0, v=1, v=sqrt(4/3*s^3)+1 is what I get.

This is wrong though. The correct answer to the problem is 3.42 ft/s, which I can get when v=sqrt(4/3*s^3+1), in other words, just including the 1 in the square root. I know I'm likely doing something really stupid...

All I can figure is that like v^2/2=2/3*s^3+c... where c=1, only trouble is I don't think that's a true statement.

So anyway... sorry for excrutiating detail, I just CANNOT figure out where I'm going wrong here.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2
    Ok. I think I'm over thinking this. v^2/2=2/3*s^3+c, so v^2=4/3*s^3+2c, and then v(s)=sqrt(4/3*s^3+2c), and since v(0)=1, sqrt(2c)=1, therefore 2c must=1. Is that the right way to think about this?

Again sorry, I know these are really easy concepts we're dealing with here. Just wanna make sure I understand the algorithm to solve these simple diff eq's in dynamics situations.

4. May 9, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

v^2/2=2/3*s^3+c is figuring it correctly. You add the constant when you integrate. You don't add the constant after you've solved for v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook