Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid nuetrinos

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    I am having real problems fitting nuetrinos into my mental models of the world,when i think of strong,electromagnetic and gravitational interactions i find it much easier to work with because theres always something tangible i can relate it to,fermions,light or falling for example,but when i try to fit the weak interaction in i get lost,is there a weak field? how far can W and Z bosons travel?what are the nuetrinos doing all this time if not interacting,do they intereact with eachother ,do superposition rules apply to them?if so can they be made coherent? every time i try to fit them in i feel lost,does anyone else have such problems fitting them in to their pictures of the world?

when i first read of them,the nuetron intercations seemed quite simple,the idea of a nuetrino causing flavour change then spitting out an electron and anti nuetrino seemed fine,but the more i learn of them the less they make any sense to me,are they just the different between the energies exchanged in the interaction,please help me im lost!

is there a starting place you guys would suggest for getting them more under my control,books i should read etc?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2
    Big relief – I was afraid that there was a new sort of neutrino discovered: 3 known flavors, then sterile, then stupid :)

4. Aug 17, 2010 #3
    Well, we already have strange quarks... why not? :D

5. Aug 18, 2010 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

When the unhelpful jokers have departed, you could perhaps try (re?)-reading the sticky
    thread in this forum entitled "Elementary particles presented". There's lots of
    references to relevant sources therein.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook