Getting a Grip on Neutrinos: A Journey of Discovery

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of fitting neutrinos into one's understanding of the world, particularly in comparison to other interactions such as strong, electromagnetic, and gravitational. Questions are raised about the nature and behavior of neutrinos, such as whether they have a weak field, how far W and Z bosons can travel, and whether superposition rules apply to them. The speaker expresses frustration and confusion in trying to understand neutrinos and asks for suggestions on how to gain a better understanding, with a reference to a helpful forum thread.
BkBkBk
I am having real problems fitting nuetrinos into my mental models of the world,when i think of strong,electromagnetic and gravitational interactions i find it much easier to work with because there's always something tangible i can relate it to,fermions,light or falling for example,but when i try to fit the weak interaction in i get lost,is there a weak field? how far can W and Z bosons travel?what are the nuetrinos doing all this time if not interacting,do they intereact with each other ,do superposition rules apply to them?if so can they be made coherent? every time i try to fit them in i feel lost,does anyone else have such problems fitting them into their pictures of the world?

when i first read of them,the nuetron intercations seemed quite simple,the idea of a nuetrino causing flavour change then spitting out an electron and anti nuetrino seemed fine,but the more i learn of them the less they make any sense to me,are they just the different between the energies exchanged in the interaction,please help me I am lost!

is there a starting place you guys would suggest for getting them more under my control,books i should read etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Big relief – I was afraid that there was a new sort of neutrino discovered: 3 known flavors, then sterile, then stupid :)

Well, we already have strange quarks... why not? :D

BkBkBk said:
is there a starting place you guys would suggest for getting them more under my control,books i should read etc?

When the unhelpful jokers have departed, you could perhaps try (re?)-reading the sticky
thread in this forum entitled "Elementary particles presented". There's lots of
references to relevant sources therein.

1. What are neutrinos?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have no electric charge and very little mass. They are constantly moving at near-light speeds and interact very weakly with other particles, making them difficult to detect.

2. How were neutrinos discovered?

Neutrinos were first theorized in the 1930s, but were not directly detected until the 1950s by scientists studying nuclear reactions. The first evidence of neutrinos was from experiments that observed missing energy and momentum in beta decay reactions.

3. What is the role of neutrinos in the universe?

Neutrinos play a crucial role in the universe, particularly in the process of nuclear fusion in stars. They are also produced in large quantities during supernova explosions, and are thought to be involved in the formation of galaxies and other large-scale structures in the universe.

4. How do scientists detect neutrinos?

There are several methods for detecting neutrinos, but the most common is through large, underground detectors that use specialized materials to capture and measure the particles. Scientists also use neutrino telescopes, which are arrays of detectors placed deep in the ocean or ice, to study high-energy neutrinos from distant sources.

5. Why is research on neutrinos important?

Studying neutrinos can help scientists better understand the fundamental properties of matter and the inner workings of the universe. Neutrinos can also provide valuable insights into particle physics and the laws of physics at the most fundamental level. Additionally, research on neutrinos has practical applications, such as in nuclear power and medical imaging technologies.