Parking Tickets: I Got Two Last Week!

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: You should complain to Gale...she'll tell you you're lucky you were just given a ticket and not towed! :biggrin: And I'll tell you you're lucky you get to park on campus! When I was...
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I can't believe i got two parking tickets last week. Can you seriuosly be fined for having your car go a foot over the white lines that mark out your space? I guess so because I did. I was notified of my second parking ticket in a rather humorous way. I got it wednesday night but didn't notice it on my car. Thursday it rained a little and while I am looking for a parking spot, i turn on my windshield wipers and this green envelope flies up stuck to the windshield wiper. Thus i realized I had another parking ticket. This is crap.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahaha, you parked 1 foot away from the white line. I've seen 80 year olds park better than that.

It was these stupid other people in their huge F250's and monster trucks. They were the ones screwing up the parking and I am the one who gets the ticket!

If a monster truck can park inside the lines, you suck.

They weren't, they were into my lane so i had to go out of my lane too. I hate you cyrusabdollahi

They have parking spaces marked on public streets there? I'm only familiar with that in parking lots.

They weren't, they were into my lane so i had to go out of my lane too. I hate you cyrusabdollahi

:rofl: That made me laugh out loud reading it! :rofl:

Evo said:
They have parking spaces marked on public streets there? I'm only familiar with that in parking lots.
A lot of places do, where there's metered parking. I prefer it over the "guess where my space ends and yours begins" approach that always leaves me with 2" between my car and the ones directly in front and behind me who parked after I parked. But, yes, when there are painted lines, you're supposed to park within them (and yes, I also understand how annoying it is when one person parks halfway into the next space and the only space left in the lot is the one next to them...that's when I'm glad I have a little car and I'm thin enough to squeeze out the door parked very close...I park right up close enough to them that I KNOW they can't open their door :devil: Climbing in through the back window or however they have to get in will teach them not to park over the lines. :devil:). It's not usually enforced in parking lots, but on the street it is enforced. That's with the exception of the high school I attended, where the rent-a-cop didn't seem to have anything better to do than ticket inexperienced drivers for parking with a tire touching the lines of the parking spaces...he'd ticket even if you were on the line, not over it.

They don't mark spaces here, but then parking in the street isn't common, there aren't parking meters out here, only downtown in the "big city". :biggrin:

No this was in a parking lot, sheeeeeesh

I guess you won't do a half a** parking job any more. Was it worth the shorter walk? Maybe you might want to consider going to that other empty spot a ways down and walk a bit further instead. I'm just think out loud here...

FredGarvin said:
I guess you won't do a half a** parking job any more. Was it worth the shorter walk? Maybe you might want to consider going to that other empty spot a ways down and walk a bit further instead. I'm just think out loud here...

Impossible at our university. Enrollment goes up, parking spaces stay the same. You will spend on average, 30 minutes looking for a parking spot. You will normally have... 40 cars looking for the 1 spot that opens up every 30 seconds over like 3 acres of parking. It is also a 1/3 mile walk from the parking space i got to my classes. On a bad day it could be 1/2 a mile if i end up stuck in the back. Trust me, we aren't given a buffet line of parking spaces.

Pengwuino said:
Impossible at our university. Enrollment goes up, parking spaces stay the same. You will spend on average, 30 minutes looking for a parking spot. You will normally have... 40 cars looking for the 1 spot that opens up every 30 seconds over like 3 acres of parking. It is also a 1/3 mile walk from the parking space i got to my classes. On a bad day it could be 1/2 a mile if i end up stuck in the back. Trust me, we aren't given a buffet line of parking spaces.
You should complain to Gale...she'll tell you you're lucky you were just given a ticket and not towed! :biggrin: And I'll tell you you're lucky you get to park on campus! When I was an undergrad, only seniors and commuters could park on campus (often, commuters had to park in a commuter lot that required taking a bus to campus). Other than that, it was only faculty, staff and grad students who could park. There was the occassional exception made for an undergrad to park on campus, but if you were blessed to have such an exception (which usually meant you weren't very blessed...I got an exception in my junior year because I needed to drive to see a doctor on a weekly basis for a health problem that needed frequent monitoring), you were just thankful to be allowed to park in the ONE parking lot you were assigned, and didn't mess with the Parking Gods.

Even when I was a grad student, I often just parked in one lot and took the bus or walked everywhere else because it was just too difficult to find parking. The parking I had available as a grad student was actually better than what I have available as faculty now, and about 10 times cheaper! It takes me 10 min to walk to my parking lot. :grumpy:, and that's a good day, when I get to park near the front of the lot. On the days when I'm going back and forth from the lab to the farm, by the third time I'm climbing the 5 stories of stairs from the parking lot to my building entrance, I'm ready to strangle whoever didn't think to build a full sized parking deck with an elevator to the level the building is on for the lot I park in. But, maybe someday someone will retire or die and I can park in the lot that's closer to the building, at least until they build the new building they have planned on top of it. :rolleyes: They keep building here, but not adding any parking to go with it. I don't really understand why new buildings aren't required to have parking decks beneath them all.

Bah, you people and your 'walked up hill both ways 10 miles each way" crap :devil: :devil:

Pengwuino said:
Bah, you people and your 'walked up hill both ways 10 miles each way" crap :devil: :devil:
It was just one mile each way, but it was in the snow. That was my post-doc in Michigan. :biggrin: For my first year there, I didn't even pay for parking, because it was too expensive, and all it did was give you a license to hunt for a space, not actually guarantee you'd have one when you got there.

Moonbear said:
..I park right up close enough to them that I KNOW they can't open their door :devil: Climbing in through the back window or however they have to get in will teach them not to park over the lines. :devil:).

Lol. Glad I'm not the only one that does that. Although one time I felt really horrible when I came back and there was an old man waiting by his car for me to get back so he could get in. But oh well, if he can't park his car its his own fault.

Moonbear said:
And I'll tell you you're lucky you get to park on campus! When I was an undergrad, only seniors and commuters could park on campus

Same here. Uni is right in the CBD. So there is one underground parking lot on campus, but that's nowhere near enough for all the staff at the uni, so most of my lecturers even take public transport. Other than that there is practically no parking. My first two years at uni it took me almost 2 hours traveling each way by bus+train+tram. Now I live closer and I can ride a bike.

1. Why did I receive two parking tickets in one week?

There could be several reasons for receiving multiple parking tickets in a short period of time. It is possible that you parked in a restricted area or violated a parking regulation. It is also possible that you did not pay for parking or your parking meter expired. It is important to thoroughly review the tickets to determine the specific reason.

2. Can I dispute the parking tickets I received?

Yes, you can dispute a parking ticket if you believe it was issued in error. You can typically do this by following the instructions on the ticket or contacting the issuing agency. It is important to provide any evidence or documentation to support your dispute.

3. Will I have to pay for both parking tickets?

It depends on the specific situation. If both tickets were issued for different violations, then you may be responsible for paying both. However, if both tickets were issued for the same violation, you may only have to pay one of them. It is important to carefully review the tickets to determine the specific violations.

4. What happens if I don't pay the parking tickets?

If you do not pay your parking tickets, it is possible that the fines will increase and you may face additional penalties, such as having your vehicle towed or your license suspended. It is important to address the tickets in a timely manner to avoid further consequences.

5. Can I prevent receiving parking tickets in the future?

Yes, there are several ways to potentially prevent receiving parking tickets in the future. These include being aware of parking regulations in the areas you frequently park, paying for parking when necessary, and ensuring that your parking meter does not expire. It may also be helpful to keep track of any parking tickets you have received in the past to avoid making the same mistakes.