Optimizing Group Registration Cost for Maximum Revenue

• Thread starter Jeremy111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the problem involves a fitness center charging $500 for each registration in a group of 20 people, with the cost diminishing by $5 for each additional member. To find the maximum revenue, an equation can be used to calculate the total cost based on the number of people in the group. The graph of this equation would be a parabola opening upward, with the vertex representing the lowest total cost. The problem assumes there are at most a few more than 20 people in the group.
Jeremy111
Hi all,

I am experiencing some problems in solving this simple problem regarding optimization. Here it is:

A fitness center charges $500 for each registration per group of 20 people. The cost will diminish by $5 every time a new member registers. For example, if the group is now formed of 21 people, the cost of each registration will then be $495.

I know it is not that hard, but I don't get the idea behind the group of 20 people where each additional member diminishes the cost of each registration. I need to find the maximum revenue, but how can you write this equation in the first place?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

You need to lay down some equation that explains the problem, and then it is quite simple to solve. From 0 to 20, you charge [tex]500\$ \times x[/tex]. For a group bigger than 20, you charge [tex][500\$ - 5(x-20)]x[/tex].

I believe I help you enough here. You should be able to do the rest. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
fatra2 said:
Hi there,

You need to lay down some equation that explains the problem, and then it is quite simple to solve. From 0 to 20, you charge [tex]500$ \times x[/tex]. For a group bigger than 20, you charge [tex][500$ - 5(x-20)]x[/tex].

I believe I help you enough here. You should be able to do the rest. Cheers

There seems to be a prob with the latex...

Anyways you could differentiate the following and then equal it to zero to get the max revenue...

Number of people = 20 + x

Wage for each guy if there are 20+X peolpe = 500 - 50x

Hence diff (20+x)(500-5x)

I don't get it, perhaps my English fails me.

The more people registers, the higher the revenue, as long as they pay (at some moment registration becomes $0). So to calculate maximum revenue you just need to calculate which is the last person paying.

If you need max revenue per person - as long as there is no more than 20 people registered, it doesn't matter how many people there is.

Both cases are completely unrealistic, but we have to deal with the data as given.

Something doesn't click.

Borek said:
The more people registers, the higher the revenue, as long as they pay (at some moment registration becomes \$0)

Precisely. There comes a point in this problem, where a maximum is reached. Make is simple for example: if 20 people subscribe, then you (as the owner) charge them [tex]500\$ \times 20 = 10'000\$[/tex], if 30 people subscribe, the you charge each membership 50$ less, therefore [tex]450\$ \times 30 = 13'500$[/tex], if 50 people subscribe, you get [tex]350\$ \times 50 = 17'500\$[/tex], if 60 people subscribe, you get [tex]200\$ \times 60 = 13'000\$[/tex].

As you can see the amount reaches a maximum, and then starts going down, because you are charging to little per person.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, can't you just write 200*60=1300 to make you posts readable? At the moment they don't seem to make any sense.

But I think I know where the problem lies, I misunderstood the question. If there is more than 20 people each one pays less, not only those over the 20 limit. Somehow missed the each part.

Yeah, I am sorry. I forgot to preview my posts before sending them out.

What I was saying is the up to a groupd of 20, the progression is linear. After that, you reach a max amount of money (not per person, but in total). The equation is not terribly complicated to put and to solve.

Hope this is better. I'll pay attention to my future post. Sorry again. Cheers

hi,
actual i m also not good in english
i would like to ask you .. how about if register people is over 100?

x<20, y=500

x>20, y=500-5*(x-20)=600-5x=5(120-x)

So for one person y there is sum of 5(120-x) fee for the fitness center, depending from the total number of clients x (if x>20)

If there are x number of clients the total sum is x*(5(120-x))=5x(120-x)

Am I right?

Last edited:
Jeremy111 said:
Hi all,

I am experiencing some problems in solving this simple problem regarding optimization. Here it is:

A fitness center charges $500 for each registration per group of 20 people. The cost will diminish by $5 every time a new member registers. For example, if the group is now formed of 21 people, the cost of each registration will then be $495.

I know it is not that hard, but I don't get the idea behind the group of 20 people where each additional member diminishes the cost of each registration. I need to find the maximum revenue, but how can you write this equation in the first place?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Suppose there are x people. If x> 20, then there are x- 20 "additional members" so the cost is reduced by $5- the cost per person would be 50- 5(x- 20)= 50 -5x+ 100= 150- 5x. The total cost would then be x(100- 5x)= 150x- 5x2. The graph of that would be a parabola opening upward. You could complete the square to find the vertex, giving the lowest total cost.

didihurt said:
hi,
actual i m also not good in english
i would like to ask you .. how about if register people is over 100?
Why 100? If x= 30, there would be 10 "additional members" and the cost per person would be 50- 5(10)= $0. Presumably this problem is predicated on there being at most a few more than 20 people in the group.

FedEx said:
There seems to be a prob with the latex...

$ is a special latex character, hence to print '$' one needs to write '\$'

HallsofIvy said:
Suppose there are x people. If x> 20, then there are x- 20 "additional members" so the cost is reduced by $5- the cost per person would be 50- 5(x- 20)= 50 -5x+ 100= 150- 5x. The total cost would then be x(100- 5x)= 150x- 5x2. The graph of that would be a parabola opening upward. You could complete the square to find the vertex, giving the lowest total cost. Why 100? If x= 30, there would be 10 "additional members" and the cost per person would be 50- 5(10)= $0. Presumably this problem is predicated on there being at most a few more than 20 people in the group.

Halls of Ivy, I think you got some error in the equation. Check my post above yours.

Jeremy111 said that the cost for each client is 500$ (for <20), and y=500-5*(x-20)=600-5x=5(120-x) for x>20

The cost will diminish by $5 every time a new member registers.

Plug x=21 you will get y=495$, x=22, y=490$... etc...

So the total sum of registrations is the number of members x * the number of individual cost

or

x*(5(120-x))=5x(120-x)

Regards.

HallsofIvy said:
Why 100?

I think didihurt refers to the fact that we are not told what happens when number of people registering is high - are they really get paid then? Seem like registration fee is negative.

Borek said:
I think didihurt refers to the fact that we are not told what happens when number of people registering is high - are they really get paid then? Seem like registration fee is negative.

Yes, that's true. The maximum number of members is 120 until the fee reaches 0$.

What is a "Stupid problem I can't solve"?

A "Stupid problem I can't solve" is a colloquial term used to describe a problem or challenge that a person is struggling to find a solution for, despite their best efforts.

Why can't I solve this problem?

There could be many reasons why you are having difficulty solving a problem. It could be due to a lack of knowledge or resources, the complexity of the problem, or just a lack of perspective. It's important to take a step back and approach the problem from a different angle.

What should I do when I encounter a "Stupid problem I can't solve"?

First, take a deep breath and try not to get frustrated. It's important to remain calm and focused. Next, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you gain a better understanding of the problem and come up with potential solutions.

Is it okay to ask for help when I can't solve a problem?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of strength and shows that you are open to learning and growing. Seeking advice or guidance from others, especially those with more experience or expertise in the subject, can often lead to a breakthrough in solving a problem.

How can I prevent future "Stupid problems I can't solve"?

Unfortunately, there will always be challenges and problems that we struggle to solve. However, by continuously learning, staying organized, and seeking help when needed, we can improve our problem-solving skills and be better equipped to handle future challenges.