1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid question about band gap of AlGaAs/GaAs

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1
    how the conduction band offset varies with Al concentration?? what is the different?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2010 #2
    This is a very vague question. If you want specific numbers you will have to read journal articles on experiments that measure conduction band offsets. If you want a qualitative answer, you know AlAs/GaAs is a type I band offset, with AlAs having the larger band gap. And when you have GaAs/GaAs, there is no offset. So as you increase Al concentration, the CBO will increase all the way to the max CBO of AlAs/GaAs. To find the exact form of the increase in the CBO you need to read journals.
  4. Apr 24, 2010 #3
    let say for AlGaAs/GaAs/AlGaAs structure, why Al increases the conduction band offset in this case?

do you have any suggestion about the link that i can access to the journal? There's a lot of them but need to pay.
  5. Apr 24, 2010 #4
    I just told you why Al increases the CBO. Since it increases the band gap, and you also know the initial % Al = 0 then CBO = 0 and the final % Al = 1 then CBO > 0. Therefore as you increase Al concentration you must increase the CBO.

As for the journals, I can't help you there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook