Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid question about email usage

1. May 25, 2012 #1

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I try to be a good citizen and answer personal emails that come my way. So today I had two. I typed a quick answer to the first one and went on to the second one and tried to send it only to be told i had to wait a minute or so before answering that one. That is annoying and a waste of my time and a deterrent to me being a good citizen. Sorry to complain, but that wastes my time. Is there an easy solution? Why should we be penalized for answering internal emails quickly? thanks.

To be fair, a minute of my time is not much waste, it is rather the mental energy that is wasted that feels so frustrating.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean e-mails or PMs?

4. May 25, 2012 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

private messages. thanks.

5. May 25, 2012 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

+1.

Not a big deal, but I do feel no time limits would be one of the perks of being a paying member.

I can easily report several threads in less than a minute. Waiting 45 more seconds is a pain.

6. May 25, 2012 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sixty seconds prevents spam via PM.

7. May 25, 2012 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

isn't that sort of a crude way to prevent spam, limiting the response time of longtime members?

8. May 28, 2012 #7

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Sometimes we have to go crude to beat the spam, the recent change to a 10 post minimum for posting links reflects this (the level of "Episode X Series Y" spam exploded). Personally I've never encountered this problem and doing a quick test I can't see it either. Is the problem that you cannot send more than one PM per minute?

9. May 28, 2012 #8
    Yes, sorry to frustrate you. The system just isn't flexible enough to make exceptions for trusted users.

10. May 29, 2012 #9

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for the education. I can live with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook