Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid question about fabric dye

1. Apr 24, 2009 #1
    Dumb question, but I know nothing about fabrics. I want to dye my computer sleeve (organic cotton canvas) a different color but I don't want to do so if its going to look terrible. Its currently dyed a brownish color and I want to dye it dark black. Can I do this since its already been dyed a different color? Will the dyes mix and give me a brownish black or if I leave it in the water/dye solution long enough will become only black?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea, Topher. But I think that since it's cotton, it should take a dark dye just fine.

Wash it first to remove any sizing that may be on it, and I wouldn't use fabric softeners.

I say, go for it...I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

4. Apr 24, 2009 #3

Danger

Gold Member

The chemistry of dyes is actually pretty complex, with different types using different molecular bonding methods. Your best bet might be to ask someone at a local fabric shop, or at least someone in the textile business. My guess is that it should work fine as long as you use a compatible formulation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook