Learn the Truth about Integrals of 1/x: Debunking Common Misconceptions

In summary: The idea is to replace ##d(-x)## with ##du## and ##-x## with ##u##. That is, the original integral is the same as (note the change in the limits of integration)$$ \int_{1}^{e} \frac{dx}{-x} = \int_{-1}^{-e} \frac{du}{u} = \int_{-e}^{-1} \frac{du}{u}$$ Now this integral is solvable by the definition of the natural logarithm. In summary, the integral of ##\frac {dx}{-x}## is a notation that means we are looking for a function that has ##-
Eclair_de_XII
TL;DR Summary
I've read somewhere that if a function is integrable over some domain, then a scalar multiple of that function is also integrable over the same domain. Moreover, the integral of a scalar multiple of a function is the scalar multiple of the integral of that function. But when I think about the integral of the function ##f(x)=\frac{1}{x}##, I start to get confused.
Let's take an integral##−\int_1^e\frac{dx}{x}##. On one hand, this is equal to ##-\ln(x)|_1^e##. But on the other, ##−\int_1^e\frac{dx}{x}=\int_1^e\frac{dx}{-x}##. If I assume that the integral of this is ##\ln⁡(-x)|_1^e##, then I'd be really stupid since ##\ln## is not even defined over the negative real numbers. I am very sure I am misunderstanding something very important in these statements I have cited. Or maybe I forgot some key statements that go along with these. Either way, I'm confused, and it's been bothering me all day. Can someone help me point out my mistakes? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, when you integrate ##\tfrac{1}{x}##, you need to take into account that logarithm is defined on the positive subset of the real line, so it is correct to write:
$$\int \frac{dx}{x} = \ln{\vert x \vert} + C$$
That's the correct formula, so the confusion shouldn't arise in that case. Namely, we have:
$$-\int_1^e \frac{dx}{x} = -(\ln{\vert x\vert})\vert_1^e = -1$$
$$\int_1^e \frac{dx}{-x} = -\int_1^e \frac{d(-x)}{-x} = -(\ln{\vert -x\vert})\vert_1^e = -1$$

Is that clearer now? You made a mistake also, when you put a scalar in the integral, you forgot to change the variable(x into -x), so you didn't get the extra minus sign, besides missing the absolute value.

Likes Delta2
Okay, I got it. Thank you for explaining it to me.

You're welcome!

Eclair_de_XII said:
Okay, I got it. Thank you for explaining it to me.

If you've got your degree, you can stop tormenting yourself with mathematics now!

Antarres said:
Indeed, when you integrate ##\tfrac{1}{x}##, you need to take into account that logarithm is defined on the positive subset of the real line, so it is correct to write:
$$\int \frac{dx}{x} = \ln{\vert x \vert} + C$$
That's the correct formula, so the confusion shouldn't arise in that case. Namely, we have:
$$-\int_1^e \frac{dx}{x} = -(\ln{\vert x\vert})\vert_1^e = -1$$
$$\int_1^e \frac{dx}{-x} = -\int_1^e \frac{d(-x)}{-x} = -(\ln{\vert -x\vert})\vert_1^e = -1$$

Is that clearer now? You made a mistake also, when you put a scalar in the integral, you forgot to change the variable(x into -x), so you didn't get the extra minus sign, besides missing the absolute value.
Hi, I was just reading through this thread and became quite confused when I say you state that ##\int_1^e \frac{dx}{-x} = -\int_1^e \frac{d(-x)}{-x}##, specifically where ##dx## becomes ##d(-x)##. I'm almost certainly a complete novice when it comes to calculus but I am still quite confused as to how/why you are integrating with respect to negative x. Any chance you could explain it to a beginner? Thanks for your time :)

That is just a shorter notation for substitution. We have either:
$$dx = -d(-x)$$
due to linearity of differential. In this case we have integration in variable ##-x##, without performing the change of variables explicitly(since we integrate ##d(-x)##).
Or we can perform a substitution: ##u = -x, du = -dx## in which case we get:
$$\int_1^e \frac{dx}{-x} = \int_{-1}^{-e} \frac{-du}{u}$$
When we perform a change of variables, we must change the boundaries of integration, that's why 1 goes to -1, and e goes to -e. And now when we integrate in ##u##, we get the same result.

So basically, you can look at ##dx## in an integral, as a mark of what variable you're integrating. But also, it is a differential, so you can for example do something like ##2xdx = d(x^2)##, where you effectively change the integration variable from ##x## to ##x^2## without explicitly doing it. When you write this way, you don't change the boundaries, since you haven't changed variables explicitly, and in the end result you substitute ##x## with the boundaries, not ##x^2##.

Hope I didn't make that sound too confusing.

Likes Delta2
This is my take:
In a general sense, ##d/dx(ln(f(x)) =\frac {f'(x)dx}{f(x)} ##

In your case , to have an integral of a composite function f(x) , you put it in above form: ##f(x)=-x ## given

##\frac {dx}{-x} =\frac {d(-x)(-1)}{-x}= \frac {-1}{-x} d(-x)##

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to find the original function from its derivative.

2. What is the integral of 1/x?

The integral of 1/x is ln(x) + C, where C is a constant. This is known as the natural logarithm function.

3. Is the integral of 1/x always defined?

No, the integral of 1/x is not defined for x = 0. This is because the function 1/x is not continuous at x = 0 and therefore does not have a well-defined area under the curve at that point.

4. Can the integral of 1/x be negative?

Yes, the integral of 1/x can be negative. This occurs when the interval of integration includes both positive and negative values of x, resulting in a net area under the curve that is less than zero.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the integral of 1/x?

One common misconception is that the integral of 1/x is always equal to x. This is not true, as the integral also includes a constant term. Another misconception is that the integral is undefined for all values of x, when in fact it is only undefined at x = 0. Additionally, some may think that the integral of 1/x is always positive, but as mentioned before, it can be negative depending on the interval of integration.