1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid question but

1. May 22, 2005 #1

Ok we did a force vs acceleration graph in class, and got an equation from it(couldnt use Y and X for the equation). The question is explain why the equation is F=ma in disguise. Obviously it is, like force is the y, slope is the mass etc, but how can I actually explain it is?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2
    So force is your y, acceleration is x, and mass is the slope. Do you know the relationship found in the graph that relates to the axes and slope?
  4. May 22, 2005 #3
    For a linear equation y=mx+b...

Here we are neglecting b, the y-intercept. What does that leave us?
  5. May 22, 2005 #4

But the teacher said we couldn't use X and Y...
  6. May 22, 2005 #5
    I don't understand what he/she wants from you. How are you supposed to explain the relationship between variables on a linear graph without using x and y??

The only way I can see how is to generalize and say that basically a linear graph has these relationships with the axes and slope... but without mentioning the axes that will be a bit vague.
  7. May 23, 2005 #6
    The acceleration is the indep. variable, the force is the dep variable. They have a directly proportional relationship by a scalar quantity 'm'
  8. May 23, 2005 #7
    may be what your teacher wants is to show that
    Y=F (force)
    X=a (acceleration)
  9. May 23, 2005 #8

Alight I got it now, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?