Exploring Differentiation and Integration Techniques for Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions: 1) the possibility of using differentiation from first principles to differentiate trigonometric functions and the discovery of integration formulas, and 2) the relationship between area, perimeter, and volume and the use of surface and line integrals to calculate them. The conversation also mentions the use of the divergence theorem and Green's theorem for calculating 3D and 2D figures, respectively. Online resources are also requested for information on surface integrals.
Pseudo Statistic
Yo.
Curious about two things..
First, is it possible to use a method such as differentiation from first principles (the whole [tex]lim_{\delta\rightarrow0}\[f(x+\delta)-f(x)]/\delta[/tex] thing) to differentiate trigonometric functions? Or is everyone stumped with memorizing them? (I'm curious about this, I'm not the kind of guy to memorize a formula list or something, I'm curious as to how these forms were found or an alternative method for finding their derivatives)

Next question, how were the short integration formulae found? Is there anything similar to differentiation from first principles for integration?

Excuse me for my lack of knowledge or ignorance for asking such questions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~igc/tch/ma1002/diff/node27.html

Next question, how were the short integration formulae found?

The what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Formulas, formulae..
Whatever system you go by.

The basic formulae for integration are derived from knowing the corresponding differentiation formulae. For example, since we know
d(xn)/dx= n xn-1, the integral (anti-derivative) of xn must be (1/(n+1))xn+1 so that ((1/(n+1))xn+1)'= ((n+1)/(n+1))x(n+1)-1= xn.

I would have thought all that was taught in first semester calculus.

I know about that...
Mind you, I haven't taken Calculus yet..
But I guess my second question really had no meaning to it.
Let me add something else, I've noticed:
[tex] \pi r^2 = \int 2 \pi r dr[/tex]
Is this true for all areas, perimeters and volumes of shapes both 2D and 3D? (Integrating perim. to get area, area to get volume?)

Last edited:
Pseudo Statistic said:
I know about that...
Mind you, I haven't taken Calculus yet..
But I guess my second question really had no meaning to it.
Let me add something else, I've noticed:
[tex] \pi r^2 = \int 2 \pi r dr[/tex]
Is this true for all areas, perimeters and volumes of shapes both 2D and 3D? (Integrating perim. to get area, area to get volume?)
Only sufficiently "nice" regions have this property, for example your circle and also, the sphere.

The cube, with side-length "s", has volume [tex]s^{3}[/tex] and surface area [tex]6s^{2}[/tex] which doesn't equal the derivative of the volume.

However, in 3-D, we might calculate the volume of a region with the aid of a surface integral using a suitable version of the divergence theorem; similarly, the area of a 2-D figure can be calculated with the aid of a line integral about its periphery with a suitable version of Green's theorem.

Would you know of any online resources I could refer to for information on surface integrals?
Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of asking "Stupid Question, Curious"?

The phrase "Stupid Question, Curious" is often used humorously to acknowledge that a question may seem silly or obvious, but the person asking is genuinely curious and wants to learn more about the topic.

2. Is there such a thing as a truly "stupid" question?

No, there is no such thing as a truly "stupid" question. All questions, regardless of their complexity or simplicity, have value and can lead to greater understanding and knowledge.

3. How can I encourage others to ask questions without fear of judgment?

You can encourage others to ask questions by creating a safe and non-judgmental environment. This can be done by actively listening, being open-minded, and acknowledging the value of all questions.

4. Should I be embarrassed to ask a question that I think is "stupid"?

No, you should never be embarrassed to ask a question. Asking questions is a natural part of learning and should be encouraged, regardless of how simple or complex the question may seem.

5. Can asking "stupid" questions actually lead to new discoveries or breakthroughs?

Yes, asking "stupid" questions can actually lead to new discoveries or breakthroughs. Often, questioning the status quo and thinking outside of the box can lead to innovative ideas and solutions.