Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid question for calculus

1. Sep 2, 2004 #1
    we just started our calc class, and our teacher gave us this question
    im sure it is really easy, and i dont know why i just cant get it analytically
    the question is solve

- < 3 solve for positive and negative case.
    x

the positive value is easy, X> 1/3 . How would you solve it for negative vaulues analytically?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Multiplying an inequality by a positive number does not change the direction of the inequality. That's why you can say: For x positive, if 1/x< 3 then 1< 3x and 1/3< x.
    (I first multiplied by x and then by 1/3, both positive numbers.)

Multiplying an inequality by a negative number reverses the direction of the inequality: For x negative, if 1/x< 3, then 1> 3x (multiply by the negative x and reverse the inequality. Now multiply by the positive number 1/3 and get 1/3> x.
    BUT this was assuming x< 0. Since any x< 0 is necessarily less than 1/3, the solution set is: All x> 1/3 and all x< 0.

4. Sep 2, 2004 #3
    hmm that clears up some stuff i guess but im not quite sure yet

so the problem is 1/x<3. multiply -1 to both sides, and you get -1/x > -3 (signs are switched) then to solve for X... -1>-3x then divide by -3 (signs are switched?) so x>1/3.... i dont get how to get it algebraically. am i just supposed to accept that when u multiply by a negative number, u just swtich the signs and solve?

5. Sep 2, 2004 #4
    I think you're making it too complicated. Look at it like this:

Given: 1/x < 3, with x < 0.

Now, multiply both sides by x, remembering that when you multiply an inequality by a negative quantity, you change the sense of the inequality. So, you have:

1 > 3x

Now, divide by the positive 3 and you get: (you don't have to change the sense of the inequality now remember)

1/3 > x

You just need to keep track of whether you are multiplying/dividing by a negative or positive entity. Other than that, just solve like a regular algebraic equation.

6. Sep 3, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I didn't say anything about multiplying by -1. I said multiply by x, in order to get it out of the denominator. To do that you have to consider whether x is positive or negative, just like your teacher told you.

And, no, you are not "just supposed to accept that when u multiply by a negative number, u just swtich the signs and solve?". You are supposed to have learned that when you learned arithmetic:

3< 5. How do -3 and -5 compare?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?