Stupid question - is it possible to use up all the oxygen in your room?

In summary: It would take quite some time for the oxygen level to reach dangerous levels. The time it would take would depend on a number of factors including the size of the room, the airflow, and the atmospheric conditions.
bumclouds
I have a stupid question to ask you all.

Let's just say that you shut your door, and then shut all your windows so there isn't any ventilation and stayed in your room for several days. Could you end up breathing until you've reduced the oxygen to dangerous levels?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If it's completely sealed and there's no other source of oxygen, then sure.

And how long would it take to run out of oxygen?

I often wonder if there's a tiny little gap of say, 1 square cm to the outside world, would you rate of oxygen consumption beat the inflow of oxygen?

Stupid question, you bet you!
Not so stupid answer though:
Go study partial differential equations, and determine for yourself the air flow given the size of the hole, temperature, etc... after factoring in all these variables then determine how big the hole has to be. Btw, in a room built out of wood, the oxygen would still get through, so this needs to be a room of plastic; why don't you tell us how big the whole has to be to substain life? Go now, study :p

The short answer is that you'd need a ridiculously well sealed building to create such a problem. I once ran across a building that used to be a FEMA office and it was designed pretty air tight, so it required continuous ventilation to keep the air quality acceptable.

Note, though, that you can't "use up all the oxygen" in a room: It isn't lack of oxygen that would kill you, it is too much CO2.

If you use completely compartmentalized room then yes. But When the O2 level decrease to certain level the partial pressure of O2 is so low that haemoglobin would not combine with oxygen, then you are just going to die before it is completely used up. So It's never going to "use up" literally.

1. Can all the oxygen in my room really be used up?

Yes, it is possible for all the oxygen in your room to be used up. This can happen if there is no source of fresh oxygen, such as an open window or air circulation system, and if there are many people or animals breathing in the room.

2. How long would it take for all the oxygen in my room to be used up?

The amount of time it takes for all the oxygen in your room to be used up depends on many factors, such as the size of the room, the number of occupants, and the ventilation. However, in a small, enclosed room with several people breathing, it could take just a few hours for the oxygen levels to become dangerously low.

3. What happens if all the oxygen in my room is used up?

If all the oxygen in your room is used up, the air becomes filled with carbon dioxide and other gases, which can be harmful to breathe. This can cause dizziness, difficulty breathing, and even loss of consciousness. In extreme cases, it can lead to suffocation and death.

4. Can plants help replenish the oxygen in my room?

Yes, plants can help replenish the oxygen in your room through the process of photosynthesis. However, the amount of oxygen produced by plants is not enough to significantly increase the oxygen levels in a closed room with many occupants.

5. How can I prevent all the oxygen in my room from being used up?

To prevent all the oxygen in your room from being used up, it is important to have proper ventilation and air circulation. Make sure to open windows or turn on fans to bring in fresh air. Additionally, limit the number of occupants in a small room and take breaks to go outside and get fresh air.