Are 'Observables' Considered a Valid Term in Quantum Mechanics?

• Thread starter TheCavortr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    observables
In summary, observables are physical quantities or properties that can be measured or observed in science, and they play a crucial role in experiments by providing data and evidence for theories and hypotheses. They are not the same as variables, which are used in mathematical equations, and examples of observables include mass, temperature, and volume. Observables are also an essential part of the scientific method, helping to advance scientific knowledge through observations and experiments.
TheCavortr
Is ``OBSERVABLES'' a word? I know ``OBSERVABLE'' (singular is), but what about the plural?

Physics news on Phys.org
You find this plural in virtually any textbook of QM.

It's the same as VEGETABLE. Once you'll read some QM, you'll find certain similarities between the 2 words.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It's the same as VEGETABLE. Once you'll read some QM, you'll find certain similarities between the 2 words.

Daniel.

(Or between yourself and vegetables if you read too much of it! :wink: )

-Dan

I've seen it written many times in quantum texts, but neither my LaTex spell checker nor my e-mail spell checker appreciates the plural.

1. What are observables?

Observables are physical quantities or properties that can be measured or observed. They are an important concept in science, particularly in the fields of physics and chemistry.

2. Are observables the same as variables?

No, observables and variables are not the same thing. Variables are used in mathematical equations to represent unknown quantities, while observables refer to actual physical quantities that can be measured.

3. How are observables important in scientific experiments?

Observables play a crucial role in scientific experiments as they allow scientists to gather data and make observations about the natural world. They are used to test theories and hypotheses and provide evidence for scientific laws and principles.

4. Can you give an example of an observable?

Sure, an example of an observable could be the mass of an object, the temperature of a substance, or the volume of a gas. These are all physical quantities that can be measured and observed in a laboratory setting.

5. How do observables relate to the scientific method?

Observables are an essential part of the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, and conducting experiments to test those hypotheses. Observables provide the data and evidence needed to support or refute a hypothesis and ultimately contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.