Stupid Question

1. I have a stupid question:

I saw the term "structureless Particle".

What is a "structureless particle"? Please explain to me like I am a 4th grader.

2. jcsd
  3. quasar987

quasar987 4,770
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It all depends on the context of course, but I would guess it means a particle that is not made up of more particles. Fundamentally, a proton is not a structureless particle because it is made up of 3 quarks. However, a quark would fit in this category and so would an electron, because as far as we know, they are not made up of anything else.

4. Structureless particle? Maybe it has not internal quantum numbers? I.e. no spin.

5. Hootenanny

Hootenanny 9,679
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Both electrons and quarks [as far as we know] are elementary particles (have no internal structure), both are also fermions and hence have half integer spin (i.e [itex]\pm1/2, \pm3/2, \pm5/2,...[/itex]). However, I do agree with quasar987's interpretation. If you google 'elementary particle' you should find some more information.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  6. According my opinion, structureless particles haven't its mass, size and aren't made up of more particles. For example, photon, neutrino are the structureless particles. However, they are still influenced by interactions (fundamental force as weak,electromagnetic, gravitational, strong ..).

7. Hootenanny

Hootenanny 9,679
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to current theory and experimental evidence, neutrinos have a small but finite mass. Out of curiosity why do you require that a structureless particle must be massless?

8. I know quite a bit about electrons and quarks:) I guess "structureless" is pretty ambiguous. I took structureless to mean without any internal quantum numbers, and spin is internal in the sense that it is intrinsic. I've never seen an electron called a "structureless" particle, only "fundamental" particle. It would be nice to see some context, I guess.

And 5/2 isn't an allowed spin for fundamental particles:)

9. Do you think that is an answer a 4-th grader would understand?

Pete

10. In my country, one call pmb_phy 's post above is a spam. And you are spamer. It isn't contructive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?