Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stupid Questions with Irrelevant Answer Choices

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1

Danger

Gold Member

I've never been given a survey that didn't include at least half a dozen of those, but I'm specifically thinking of ones that Mundanes think make them seem intellectual while the choice of answers that they want you to choose from doesn't include the one that an intelligent person would give. I'll just reference the one that pisses me off more than any other, and would really like to hear what monstrosities have been thrust upon the rest of you guys.

e.g.: There's a 12 oz. beer glass on the bar with 6 oz. of beer in it. Some dip wants to play amateur psychologist and asks whether I'm an optimist who says that it's half full, or a pessimist who says that it's half empty. My response is always: "I'm a realist, you idiot! It's full. It's half-full of beer and half-full of air."

Come on, folks. I need some doozies to laugh at.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Drink it and say I'm a realist.

4. Oct 24, 2014 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wouldn't that be a pragmatist?

5. Oct 24, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

:DD

6. Oct 24, 2014 #5

jedishrfu

Who cares if the beer tastes good.

Beer today gone tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  7. Oct 25, 2014 #6

Danger

Gold Member

You must have a lot better kidneys than me if it takes until tomorrow. In my town, you don't buy beer; you just rent it by the hour.

8. Oct 25, 2014 #7
    The answer to that question depends on the situation. If you're in the process of drinking it with the intent of finishing it, then it's half empty. If you're in the process of filling the glass to the top, then it's half full.

9. Oct 25, 2014 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

A boy and a girl are tied to a railroad track. You only have time to save one. Which do you save?

10. Oct 25, 2014 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah, that's a Kobayashi Maru for sure. It'd be a no-brainer if one was your daughter and the other her rapist, but otherwise there are so many factors that it would come down to a split-second decision that couldn't be reasoned out hypothetically..
    Good one.

11. Oct 25, 2014 #10

jedishrfu

What about the poor train?

12. Oct 25, 2014 #11

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Mundanes?

The daughter tied to the railroad track can replace the son many times over. Always save the female.

13. Oct 25, 2014 #12

Danger

Gold Member

It can just wipe its wheels and carry on.

Sorry... Mundanes is the term that Science Fiction fans apply to people who aren't. I figure that science fans should be able to use it as well.
    The question doesn't state whether or not there are any prior relationships between the 3 people. That's the biggest part of the problem with it.

14. Oct 25, 2014 #13

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Be like Hancock and just stop the train...

15. Oct 25, 2014 #14
    Chicken or egg, what came first?

16. Oct 25, 2014 #15

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Engineer's answer: the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

17. Oct 25, 2014 #16
    Someone posted a list here once of about 50 answers like this one to this question; answers from many different perspectives. It was pretty funny.

18. Oct 25, 2014 #17

jedishrfu

19. Oct 25, 2014 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Nice try, but that one doesn't actually qualify in that one of the answers is obviously correct. Birds descended from dinosaurs, so the eggs existed for millions of years before the contents thereof evolved into chickens.
    Vanadium, I giggle at your response; good one.

20. Oct 25, 2014 #19
    If you could be anyone in the world, who would you want to be?
    Or,
    If you could be reincarnated, who would you want to come back as?

21. Oct 25, 2014 #20
    Is a 12oz beer glass really 12 oz full, or 12 oz just up to the white line?. So 6 oz is not even half full. The mundane asking the question has got it wrong already from the start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook